Just wondering, I'm a bookworm

suse

What are you reading? I'm reading Home by Marilyn Robinson and just went through Pat Conroy's latest. Hmm. This is my favorite subject. I'm just looking for pointers for my next, hoped for, cruise. A great thanks to you.:)

YOu are wonderful to respond. This is such a boring subject for many people. But. I am the first one at book sales and other strange things in my city. I can't help it. It's my form of OCD. Among others.:)

I read a lot of offbeat stuff. Just finished re-reading the entire Harry Dresden/Dresden Files series to date, by Jim Butcher. Cross noir detective stories with urban fantasy, and you get Harry Dresden.

The first book, Stormfront, is pretty week, and the second one, Fool Moon, isn't much better. The series improves exponentially as it goes along, at least IMO. YMMV. Like I say....offbeat.

(PS - read Brown's "Lost Symbol" within a day of its release, before I read spoilers everywhere. It's OK. Best part is the good puzzles/codes, as usual.)

These are great if you like historical fiction. This is number 7 and you do have to read in order. Outlander was the 1st. It has a unique storyline and you have to make a leap of faith at the begining but the writing is first class.

Deirdre Donahue, USA TODAY

Diana Gabaldon's An Echo in the Bone (Delacorte, $30) hit stores this week. It's the seventh in the best-selling Outlander series, historical fiction/sci-fi novels that feature 20th-century Claire and her 18th-century Scottish husband, Jamie.

17 million

Copies in print of the Outlander series.

Zero

Visits Gabaldon made to Scotland before publishing Outlander in 1991, which is set in the Highlands.

Gabaldon's academic degrees: B.S. in zoology; M.S. in marine biology; doctorate in quantitative behavioral ecology.

Number of Lord John Grey titles (a separate series) featuring a character from the Outlander series.

Weeks Gabaldon's books have spent in the top 150 on the USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books list.

Peak position reached by 2005's A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

Times Outlander has been optioned for film. Essential Entertainment holds it now.

Syllables in her name: "GAH-bull-dohn, rhymes with stone."

These are great if you like historical fiction. This is number 7 and you do have to read in order. Outlander was the 1st. It has a unique storyline and you have to make a leap of faith at the begining but the writing is first class.

Deirdre Donahue, USA TODAY

Diana Gabaldon's An Echo in the Bone (Delacorte, $30) hit stores this week. It's the seventh in the best-selling Outlander series, historical fiction/sci-fi novels that feature 20th-century Claire and her 18th-century Scottish husband, Jamie.

"

I'm with you, I love reading Gabaldon's books. I plan to get the new one on my Kindle to take on my next cruise. I use the ship's library a lot, but need a backup plan in case it's closed :eek: for any reason.

I have a bunch of Mary Higgins Clark, Carol Higgins Clark and Mary Jane Clark (no relation) books ready for our November Cruise. Also have True Compass by Edward M. Kennedy.

I love mysteries and biography/auto-biographies. One of the best I ever read was by General Schwarzkopf.

Will I read them all - probably not, but I'm going to give it a try...

Thanks Suse for starting this thread. I read a book a day so I am always looking for new books to read. I have a Kindle and usually try to download enough books to last me through a cruise.

Mysteries, especially historical mysteries, romances, fantasy and children’s books are what I mainly read. Although I am now reading Path Between the Seas for my upcoming Panama Cruise.

Some of the authors that I like are Bruce Alexander who use to write a Mystery series about Sir John Fielding, a blind Magistrate who founded the Bow Street Runners. The last two in the series are available on Kindle. Fortunately, my library owned the series and most of it is out of print.

Tasha Alexander writes the Lady Emily series. The latest is called Tears of a Pearl. It is set in Istanbul which we are visiting next year on our Med cruise. Available on Kindle.

Charles Finch writes a series about Charles Lenox, a gentleman sleuth who advises Scotland Yark. First book in the series is Beautiful Blue Death. Available on Kindle.

Two series that I can put down once I start reading are Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries by C. S. Harris. Set during the Regency period. A Mr Darcy with a James Bond edge as the author describes him on her web site. Latest book, What Remains of Heaven is due out in November. All of her books are available on Kindle. The other series that is unfortunately out of print due to the untimely death of the author is the Julian Kestrel Mystery series by Kate Ross. Find them at your local library or buy them out of print. You won’t be disappointed.

Our library hosts an annual luncheon every year. And last year I met Rhys Bown who has two mystery series, the Molly Murphy and Her Royal Spyness. The Royal Spyness series is available on Kindle and quite a few of the Molly Murphy.

Since I am a retired Children’s Librarian, I also still read some children’s books.

One of the fantasy series that children and adult’s enjoy is the The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott. Three of the six titles are now in print. The Alchemyst was the first in the series. I have the three in the series on Kindle to read on my upcoming trip. All available on Kindle.

Another fantasy series that has captured adults and children is the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series.by Rick Riordan. I saw an adult reading Lightening Thief while waiting in line at Disneyland recently. All available on Kindle.

An Australian author that I have fallen in love with is John Flanagan. He writes a series called the Rangers Apprentice. First in the series in Ruins in Gorlan. I will give a warning if you start reading #2 have #3 and #4 available to read as #2 has a cliff hanging ending. #5 also has a cliff hanging ending so have #6 available to read. Australians are lucky because #7, 8 and 9 are in print in Australia. I’m waiting for them to come out on Kindle here in the US.

I have more recommendations of Children’s books for anyone that is interested.

Suse, you are an interesting person. I think we HAL types are, first and foremost, readers. We like to find a quiet corner and disappear into a BOOK.

Right now I'm reading three books: True Compass, by Ted Kennedy; Fortune's Rocks, by Anita Shreve; and Scarlet Feather, by Maeve Binchy. Of the three, Scarlet Feather is the one I stuffed into my briefcase to read on the bus to and from work each day. True Compass is wonderful, but very thick and heavy, and I'm worried that my plastic containers of yogurt and leftovers might leak onto it. And I find myself tearing up as I read it, which is disconcerting while riding the bus. Maeve Binchy's books are full of characters and fun and perfect for the bus.

A word to the Diana Gabaldon fans: Outlander was a dream I didn't want to leave. The next two or three instalments were equally rewarding (except for the fight with the wolves), especially the sea voyage. So what was up with Fiery Cross? What a yawner -- I gave up. I think the author started to believe her fan mail. DuMaurier she's not.

Good thread, Suse.

What are you reading? I'm reading Home by Marilyn Robinson and just went through Pat Conroy's latest. Hmm. This is my favorite subject. I'm just looking for pointers for my next, hoped for, cruise. A great thanks to you.:)

I love Deborah Macomber's books and although I've read several of the Cedar Cove series I am just now reading the first book in the series. There are almost too many characters for me though.

Reading on a cruise is my absolute favorite way to spend time. I love sea days on a cruise so that I can read. That is why I love HAL's Hawaii itinerary -- several sea days before and after the various port stops.

Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler, The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe, The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand, etc. etc. I loaded them onto my Kindle and had an 8 day reading marathon will in Roatan last month.

Another great read was A Colossal Failure of Common Sense by Patrick Robinson about the rise and fall of Lehman Brothers.......the hubris and greed of some of the major players was truly mind-boggling......

Right now I've got 8 books waiting to be read on my Kindle and one work in progress......

I too love Deborah Macomber books, just am about to start the cedar cove series, I just started a thread about what the maasdam library was like if anyone knew, i am bringing only 2 books with me and I know that will not be enough! Great thread here!

This is all fantastic information. It's good for me to hear of books to read that I might not have thought of otherwise. Sometimes, it's easier for me to go with authors I know and I prefer to try new books. Thank you! I belong to a book club (neighborhood) for that very reason. It's fun and challenging, at times.

Recently read newest Dan Brown, and about to start Sandford's latest paperback--Heat Lightning (Virgil Flowers is main character).

But it depends on my mood--a quick, easy read or something more involved. An author I haven't seen suggested-Kyle Mills. Main character is a FBI agent named Mark Beamon. But if you want mind candy...I suggest the easy ones...Nora Roberts (really enjoy those good vs. evil series), Debbie MacComber, Susan Wiggs (just finished the most recent in her Lakeshore series) and as someone else said--Janet Evanovich is a fun read, too.

And honestly, if you haven't...I held off on all those Twilight vampire books (Stephanie Meyer) until this summer, when we were going away and I knew I would have some time on my hands...and I did enjoy them!

It is always fun to hear what others are reading! Have fun finding a new friend!

Suse, you are an interesting person. I think we HAL types are, first and foremost, readers. We like to find a quiet corner and disappear into a BOOK.

Right now I'm reading three books: True Compass, by Ted Kennedy; Fortune's Rocks, by Anita Shreve; and Scarlet Feather, by Maeve Binchy. Of the three, Scarlet Feather is the one I stuffed into my briefcase to read on the bus to and from work each day. True Compass is wonderful, but very thick and heavy, and I'm worried that my plastic containers of yogurt and leftovers might leak onto it. And I find myself tearing up as I read it, which is disconcerting while riding the bus. Maeve Binchy's books are full of characters and fun and perfect for the bus.

A word to the Diana Gabaldon fans: Outlander was a dream I didn't want to leave. The next two or three instalments were equally rewarding (except for the fight with the wolves), especially the sea voyage. So what was up with Fiery Cross? What a yawner -- I gave up. I think the author started to believe her fan mail. DuMaurier she's not.

Good thread, Suse.

Books, books,wonderous books:) Hal cruisers certainly do seem to share a love of reading.

I have lovely childhood memories of the library. The smell (libraries don't smell like that anymore:)),the sheer joy of selecting any book you wanted,and that wonderfully satisfying stamp,stamp,by the librarian of the card.I fell in love with books at six and they have been dependable companions ever since.

I like to choose a book I have been wanting to read , just before a trip. I then start it only a little bit so I am just into it before I leave.( don't know why I do this , but like getting my wardrobe ready ,I get my book ready, a little goofy I know:D)

Books are the best of sleep aides . How many read before falling aseep.?

I have just finished A Thousand Points of Light by Khaled Hosseni author of The Kite Runner.enjoyed both very much.

Mrs.Muir, I also like Maeve Binchy a very gifted story teller.

Biographies or autobiographies are always a favorite. True Compass by Ted Kennedy is on my list.:)

I will often return to Jane Austen's works . It has always amazed me how this presumably sheltered ,spinstered, daughter of a minister could have such a modern insight into her society. Besides ,Pride and Prejudice's Mr Darcy is the sexiest man in literature, IMO:D

Great thread Suse,hope alll is going well with your "sweet boy"

Thank you. I really liked a Thousand Points of Light, as well. I just picked up "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy to read again. I can't believe I'm going to read it again but it was such a good one.

My sweet boy, Donny, is doing better day by day. Very slow progress. He's walking on his own now, has some short term memory loss and stuff like that but should do well, considering his age. We're just incredibly grateful to have him alive and with us. Thank you for asking. He has alot of rehab in front of him but it's good that it's available for him. He has such good insurance and that, as we all know, is huge.

love,

Susie

I HIGHLY recommend THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. She's a first time author and the book is currently #5 on the NY Times Bestseller List. I think every book club and book store in the country now has it on their reading list and deservedly so.

Also enjoyed The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society recently as mentioned above and Jodi Picoult and Debbie Macomber are always good on a cruise.

(The Khaled Hosseini book after The Kite Runner is correctly titled A Thousand Splendid Suns.)

Archived