Flight same day as cruise?

PrincessCarolyn

PrincessCarolyn, that's good that you have changed your flight for peace of mind's sake.

Usually flights from JFK to FLL are fine. I've flown this route many times in the last 31 years and have never had a problem - even when flying in March or April - which is when we usually go.

Now if I was flying from NY to say Alaska or to San Juan, PR or anywhere out of the country - I would definitely leave the day before. It takes a pretty drastic delay not to get from NY to FLL.

I wouldn't do it. My daughter flew Jet Blue down to Ft. Lauderdale last year from NY.. The weather was perfect but there were problems with the plane and her early flight never left until almost 1pm. It cost us extra to get her private car service to wait for her and race them to the ship. They got there at 3:55pm and RCCL didn't want to let her and another couple that were on their flight on the ship!!! Last call for boarding was 4pm, they finally relented and let them on. I don't think I'd want to risk that. We always go the day before because you never know what might happen. And Jet Blue wouldn't give them back there luggage in NY because they wanted to switch airlines so they could get down to Florida on time. Not the best way to start your cruise!

It cost me $100 total for the both of us but we are arriving the night before 9:30 pm.

I hated the hassle of getting a hotel and unpacking some stuff and leaving early but I feel much better now. $100 is worth not missing my ship :)

Thanks all!

Pleased to hear you have changed your flight, looking forward to meeting you onboard. Have you signed up for the CC meeting

When we have a short overnight stay, we always pack the next day's clothes in our carry on--that way, we don't have to even mess with our suitcases (works particularly well on car trips where we just leave the big bags in the car and take in our backpack). Since you will want to keep your important meds/makeup with you in your carry on anyway, it makes it really easy.

I too think you made the right choice. I live in Idaho, and we had uncharacteristic huge snowstorms the first week of October--very winter-like conditions. You just never know. For me, the added expense of an overnight hotel is well worth the peace of mind.

Have a great cruise! First time in several years that we have not done a late fall trip--but we hope to spend the month of January in Italy to make up for it--fingers crossed!

Cathy

We have cruised 20 times and took the flight the same day as the cruise. I don't think it's a wise idea though. This January cruise on Celebrity Equinox will be our first day arriving a day early for the cruise. I think it's better to especially in the winter in case there is snow delays.

We have came close to missing our ship once but got there just in time. Our flight was delayed about two hours because of stormy weather in florida. We arrived in Port Canaveral at 2:00 PM. The ship left at 4:00 PM. We were the last bus to the cruise ship. When our bus pulled up to the ship at 3:50 PM, it was sounding it's horn. The scariest thing ever to hear your ship sounding its horn. They gave us our sea passes quickly and shut the door of the cruise ship right behind us. This was back in 2002 on Carnival Pride. We talked to the Carnival reps and they said that they leave someone every week. The cruise ship doesn't wait for you.

• 1 month later...

Archived