Flight same day as cruise?

PrincessCarolyn

Once I had my cruise paid for (11/23/09) I booked airline tickets. I got the cheapy cheap tickets on Jetblue however they are NON refundable. Which is fine however, I am flying to Fort Lauderdale the same day as my cruise. My travel agent said I'd be ok but now I'm getting nervous.

We leave NY at 8:30am and arrive in Ft lauderdale at 11:30am and the cruise leaves at 5pm.

TA told me it's a 10-15 min. cab ride to the ship. So I figured even if my plane was delayed an hour or two I'd be ok. We don't really get snow in NOvember so I doubt a storm would be an issue but I'm just wondering if any other people fly to their destination the same day?

Thanks!

You will be fine. IF your flight leaves at 8:30 AM you will arrive in Fort Lauderdale at 11:00 AM - I assume you are checking luggage - so you will have to wait for that and then it is a 10 minute cab ride to the pier.

I think you would be at the pier at 12:30 PM the latest as long as there are no flight delays. Even if there was a 2 hour delay you would get to the ship at 2:30 PM.

We've flown JFK to FLL the same day as the cruise and haven't had a problem. We prefer to do the day before the cruise, but sometimes you just can't.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks cruising chick! I'm very excited.

Have a fantastic cruise-you only have 4 days to go!

You will be fine. IF your flight leaves at 8:30 AM you will arrive in Fort Lauderdale at 11:00 AM - I assume you are checking luggage - so you will have to wait for that and then it is a 10 minute cab ride to the pier.

I think you would be at the pier at 12:30 PM the latest as long as there are no flight delays. Even if there was a 2 hour delay you would get to the ship at 2:30 PM.

We've flown JFK to FLL the same day as the cruise and haven't had a problem. We prefer to do the day before the cruise, but sometimes you just can't.

Have a great cruise.

Hi there you two CT cruises, I will be driving through Stamford in 14 days. Visiting Fairfield (visit sister) for a couple of days before going in New York for he Marathon!!! Also doing some serious shopping at Clinton Crossing and Woodbury Common for cruising outfits for March trip on Millenium.

So much cheaper than the UK......Can't wait:)

Enjoy your cruise;)

You will be fine unless something odd happens. I will be getting off the ship as you get on so enjoy your cruise. In the future it is always a good idea to go a day before especially when coming from an area where there may be weather problems. It also makes for a much more relaxing first day on the cruise.

I agree with the other posters that you should be fine. If the port and the airport where any closer your cruise would be on an aircraft carrier.:D I think that the port and airport in San Diego is about the only other place that I can think of where the two are so close together.

However, for my wife and me, we have found that flying in the day before really reduces the stress level.

Here is Jet Blue on time data:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByCarrier.do?airlineCode=B6

It looks like the flights run on time 70% of the time with delay times averaging 50 minutes (you will be OK) up to 329 minutes (you could miss the ship).

We generally also arrive one day early when cruising but the odds are that you will be fine.

You SHOULD be okay, but you will be traveling three days before Thanksgiving, so volume will probably be a little higher.

Also, even though NYC's weather may be find, keep in mind that weather in other parts of the country can affect you. If the plane for your JFK-FLL flight was the plane used for DIA-JFK a few hours before, and DIA was buried in a snowstorm, the delay of the DIA-JFK flight can cause your JFK-FLL flight to be delayed. In this case, it would be considered a weather delay, even if NYC is bright and sunny.

Travel insurance can help out here, but coverage for weather delays varies widely. In ours (travelex), a five hour delay is required for "missed connection" coverage to kick in. IOW, if you don't give yourself a reasonable buffer, they won't help.

Once I had my cruise paid for (11/23/09) I booked airline tickets. I got the cheapy cheap tickets on Jetblue however they are NON refundable. Which is fine however, I am flying to Fort Lauderdale the same day as my cruise. My travel agent said I'd be ok but now I'm getting nervous.

We leave NY at 8:30am and arrive in Ft lauderdale at 11:30am and the cruise leaves at 5pm.

TA told me it's a 10-15 min. cab ride to the ship. So I figured even if my plane was delayed an hour or two I'd be ok. We don't really get snow in NOvember so I doubt a storm would be an issue but I'm just wondering if any other people fly to their destination the same day?

Thanks!

Just off the Infinity. We flew in the day before and we arrived at 6:30 pm instead of 11:30 am. We would have missed the ship had we flown in the same day with the same delays. We flew Delta.

This is one you have to figure out for yourself. It's a gamble but some folks are always lucky. I think most fly in one day early or at least for the Infinity out of Seattle, they did.

Thanks!

You are taking your chances. There doesn't have to be snow in New York to delay your flight. Where is the plane coming from? If it gets snowed in there, your flight could be canceled. Then what?

I fly out of Los Angeles (where it snows once every 20 years) and I still plan to arrive a day early - even when I fly to New York in August (2008) or July (2010).

I will always try to fly in the day before. I was flying out of Louisville to Portland the plane in Louisville had mechanical problems and we missed our connecting flight in Houston had to end up spending the night in Houston before we could get our flight to Portland. Taught me a lesson, I will fly the day before if going on a cruise.

I think most of the time if you do not have a connection you will be good, however it is our practice to never fly in the same day as the departure. Last year my sister & brother-in-law missed their ship out of Seattle because of a delay in Atlanta. They had to fly into a port of call city and catch the ship three (3) days later.

When I first met my husband (in the 90s) we lived in Danbury, we've since moved a little more North (Sherman) right above Brookfield/New Milford. I'm sure you can't even stand the anticipation seeing as how you're 4 days away! I'm counting down the days myself until November.

Have a fantastic trip!

Thanks Carolyn!

I just realized you are in CT too!!! We are in Stamford. 4 days and I can't wait - I wish I wasn't stuck at work!!

I wouldnt be worried about the flight as much as the bags...since the flight is non stop and the distance to and from the airport and cruise terminal are so close I think you'll be fine timing wise (in theory)...but the bags getting on the right flight and handled correctly and FLL are important. Chance are all will be fine but this is why we fly in the day before (doesnt sound like an option though)

HI! Those outlets are fantastic!

Woodbury (over the border in NY state) is better than Clinton. Clinton is still VERY good. but Woodbury has more and is more high end. I'm about an hour or so from Clinton crossings. Good thing it isn't closer, i'd be divorced or homeless!

I know NYC like the back of my hand, if you need any help/advice email me at Jsantospaving@aol.com

We're flying in on the same day that we sail...I couldn't get off work a day earlier. Usually we fly in a day earlier but can't this time.

We leave Baltimore at 8:30 and arrive in Miami at 11:30 (direct flight).

Our ship sails at 5:00. Hopefully no snow in Baltimore on Dec. 12....

It cost me $100 total for the both of us but we are arriving the night before 9:30 pm.

I hated the hassle of getting a hotel and unpacking some stuff and leaving early but I feel much better now. $100 is worth not missing my ship :)

Thanks all!

I honestly think you made a good decision. The peace of mind alone is probably worth the $100 plus hotel.

As someone else wrote---sometimes it's just not possible to fly in a day early. When I have to fly in the day of the cruise, I always consider the airline frequency and book early flights. That way, if something does happen, there are plenty of other flight options after my departure.

We are flying from Ohio to San Diego the same day as the cruise in November. We have a connection in Atlanta. Scheduled arrival time is 11am pst. Has anyone done this?

Thank you,

Shaco

Well sort of - - - We flew direct from Houston to San Diego and arrived about the same time you plan to. The good news is that the port is very close to the airport. (Sit on the left side of the plane if you can, you will see downtown San Deigo and your ship just before touchdown!)

The bad news for you is Atlanta. It use to be a real crapshoot on getting into and out of that airport, but I have avoided it for years. Is it still subject to long delays?

You will be fine unless something odd happens.

I have had a morning flight cancelled due to mechanical problems and coudn't get another flight out until later that afternoon. Fortunately, it was for a conference and not a cruise, but the problem taught me not to tempt fate. A friend missed a connection to a European vacation due to the only airport near him closing due to a commuter type plane that belly flopped onto the middle of the runway. That airport was closed until the next morning.

Archived