Veendam...what has happened

azcaptainbob

Just returned from our 5th HAL voyage. Granted it has been two years since last sailing in the Baltic on the Rotterdam but this 8 day trip was so totally different and I would classify the cruise experience a "signature of failure"...1. request in the am to move the beds and the concierge responded they would be moved in the evening, 2. not enough juice glasses at breakfast so one had no juice, cold juice served in hot glasses taken directly from the dishwasher, and/or juice served in over the rocks glasses from the bar, 3. water served in coffee stained mugs, 4. ice tea served in juice glasses 5. no trays with no one to assist whereby you had to make several trips in order to carry the liquids and the food, 6. not enough staff in the Lido manning the food centers..stand in line where the food is but no one to serve it so you get in another line next to the station in order to request, 7. grill for sandwiches only on one side, 8. tables left unclean especially in the pool area and aft area, 9.green mold growing on the step getting out of the pool, 10. had to request clean towels at the pool as there were none, 10. took over 30 minutes to place an order at the Canaletto...others who came later were served first 11. tepid soup and food at the Canaletto. The service in these areas was poor to non-existent After 4 phone calls( it was the 3rd call when the concierge finally answered) and 40 minutes later we went to the Lido to get the ice we had requested!

The entertainment was a 10 on a score from 1 to 9...the best I've ever seen. However, the theater on the 2nd level has uncomfortable seating and partially obscured views of the stage which is too bad.

Fortunately we hooked up with 2 other couples and met every night at the any time dining and the maitre de and the entire wait staff were outstanding. Our room steward was also fantastic...they along with the entertainment definitely rated a "signature of excellence". But the front desk, the Lido, the pool area,the retreat area, all need to go back to school to learn what the word service means. This word is not a synonymous for "excuses". The head of hotel services told us that the glasses have been "on order with the vendor since May and they are still waiting"!!

Has this become common place? Are passengers willing to accept drinking water out of mugs that when you look into them they are a few shades lighter than apple juice and definitely not appealing?

As I mentioned before, its been 2 years since our last cruise is what we experienced typical of today? We have forwarded a more complete list to the President and CEO of HAL

Wow... I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I just got off the Eurodam 2days ago and we experience none of the above, well maybe a bit of crowding around the lido, but that's about it. Clean ship with Cold drinks and hot food, nothing to complain about. I don't think it is really common place for all the issues you experienced, maybe just that particular ship/crew? Someone else who's been on her lately will likely have an answer.

Just returned from our 5th HAL voyage. Granted it has been two years since last sailing in the Baltic on the Rotterdam but this 8 day trip was so totally different and I would classify the cruise experience a "signature of failure"...

As I mentioned before, its been 2 years since our last cruise is what we experienced typical of today? We have forwarded a more complete list to the President and CEO of HAL

Sorry to hear about some of your disappointment azcaptainbob but doesn't sound like a complete failure, at least you found things to enjoy. We will be on her in less then two weeks, so hope some of those things have improve before our cruise. Have a couple of questions for you. Was the retreat pool open? Do you know who was in the piano bar, one of our favorite places to hang out. Thanks ahead of time for your answer.

Glad to hear you have sent a letter to the CEO of Holland.

Just returned from our 5th HAL voyage. Granted it has been two years since last sailing in the Baltic on the Rotterdam but this 8 day trip was so totally different and I would classify the cruise experience a "signature of failure"...1. request in the am to move the beds and the concierge responded they would be moved in the evening, 2. not enough juice glasses at breakfast so one had no juice, cold juice served in hot glasses taken directly from the dishwasher, and/or juice served in over the rocks glasses from the bar, 3. water served in coffee stained mugs, 4. ice tea served in juice glasses 5. no trays with no one to assist whereby you had to make several trips in order to carry the liquids and the food, 6. not enough staff in the Lido manning the food centers..stand in line where the food is but no one to serve it so you get in another line next to the station in order to request, 7. grill for sandwiches only on one side, 8. tables left unclean especially in the pool area and aft area, 9.green mold growing on the step getting out of the pool, 10. had to request clean towels at the pool as there were none, 10. took over 30 minutes to place an order at the Canaletto...others who came later were served first 11. tepid soup and food at the Canaletto. The service in these areas was poor to non-existent After 4 phone calls( it was the 3rd call when the concierge finally answered) and 40 minutes later we went to the Lido to get the ice we had requested!

The entertainment was a 10 on a score from 1 to 9...the best I've ever seen. However, the theater on the 2nd level has uncomfortable seating and partially obscured views of the stage which is too bad.

Fortunately we hooked up with 2 other couples and met every night at the any time dining and the maitre de and the entire wait staff were outstanding. Our room steward was also fantastic...they along with the entertainment definitely rated a "signature of excellence". But the front desk, the Lido, the pool area,the retreat area, all need to go back to school to learn what the word service means. This word is not a synonymous for "excuses". The head of hotel services told us that the glasses have been "on order with the vendor since May and they are still waiting"!!

Has this become common place? Are passengers willing to accept drinking water out of mugs that when you look into them they are a few shades lighter than apple juice and definitely not appealing?

I was on the Veendam in September and I have to agree with what you are saying.

It was in no way the same as the 2 cruises I took on the Amsterdam.

I still had a wonderful cruise, but it wasn't the Hal I'm used to.

Captain bob,

I sure hope your message to HAL's CEO stirs them up to make the Veendam shipshape. We are booked on it for the South American cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso/Santiago. We have always had good experiences on Hal ships and found them superior to cruises we took with NCL and Princess. This is our first time with a smaller ship. You would think these pros know how to ensure a ship is outfitted properly and in timely fashion. No water or juice glasses? Ridiculous. These ships boast at having their routines down pat. I was hoping a smaller ship would be a more casual relaxing experience. But it sounds like most of your cruise was OK. So maybe it will all work out.

The Retreat Pool , if that is what you call it was open but the spa was closed most of the days. There are problems with the "pool" leaking and the section with the chairs had little to no water for your feet. The center section with the waterfalls seemed to be fine. Very few people were using the "pool area". I don't know what was the problem with the spa but first it had no water in it and then it had a rope over the top of it. There were problems with the area in the rough waters off of Astonia. According to the captain the engineers will be working on it so it will be functional. At night there is "Cigars under the stars" at the Retreat...not my thing. This was a topic among the passengers is HAL trying to market to smokers while other lines are trying to be smoke free? We were given a separate survey on smoking!!!

The chamber music group were outstanding (4 girls..3 violin and 1 cello). I don't remember seeing anyone playing a piano only a guitar player at the MIX.

We were in the new aft cabins on deck 9...great balcony...lounge chair and two chairs with a small table. Watched dolphins play in the wake of the ship. You can also exit to the right or left balconies off the aft hallway. In a matter of a few steps you can view the aft, port or starboard sides.

However, the theater on the 2nd level has uncomfortable seating and partially obscured views of the stage which is too bad.

Since we are back to another damn the Veendam thread, I'll speak up on the theater seats. The main floor was marginal, but I defy anyone to sit with comfort in these seats. Bad selection!

DSC_0669w.jpg

Disclaimer: we did enjoy our cruise very much and will cruise with HAL again. :)

Archived