3 bottle Wine Navigator Package

DaveOKC

I just received a gift of a three bottle, wine navigator package for our cruise. Can anyone tell me how good the wines are (I know this is a matter of taste), whether you can and should you, upgrade the "gift" to the Admiral selection? I assume we will consume the bottle in the main dining room (we can bring more on-board for the room).

I am not looking for great, expensive wine, just so long as it is not harsh.

DaveOKC

As per HAL's website description, you get to choose from a selection.

3-Bottle Navigator Wine Package

This package allows you to choose 3 wines of a wonderful selection that includes Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz.

You can easily find 3 to your liking. There is no need to upgrade. Enjoy!

taxmantoo - any recommendations on which ones to choose from each wine type?

DaveOKC

If you do not like "harsh" wines, both the Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc wines are relatively easy wines for the whites. In the reds, both the Zinfandel and the Shiraz will be less harsh than the Cabernets or Merlots.

In the dining room, the wine steward should be able to guide you to a choice adapted to your tastes and your food order.

Dave, when you board, look for the wine order table (usually on Lido deck).

Often they have open bottles for sampling the wine package offerings.

This summer I went for the Admiral's package, because I really liked the Four Emus Chardonnay I got the chance to try. :)

Hi Dave,

If it were me choosing wines for the stateroom. I would go with the whites.

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio

All of these are dry, fruity and not at all "harsh".

If you want a red, I suggest the Ravenswood Zinfandel or the Frescobaldi Remole.

The Remole is a blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Zinfandel is an American wine. It is made from a strain of Sangiovese grapes brought from Italy about 150 years ago. The flavors have changed over the decades.

Enjoy your gift.

As a person who has given many wine tastings and wine trainings, I look for descriptions people give that tell me their taste preferences.

When I saw the word "harsh", that tells me that you would "probably" be happier with the Riesling. I also suggest you stay away from all the reds. The merlot is the "mushiest" of the reds, perhaps a little less "harsh" than the other reds.

I agree with the comments about the dry yet fruity wines like the pinot grigio and the sauvignon blanc. It's too bad they don't offer the Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc instead of the Monkey Bay Chardonnay.

And there is some evidence that Zin comes from Sangiovese, but more likely the Nebbiolo. Either way I suspect this wine would fall under your "harsh" category.

Ravenswood is a fun Zin, the Frescobaldi is also a pleasure, and the Shiraz is a pretty good wine. I am a Cab drinker but I'm not familiar with that particular one.

And take my opinions with a grain of salt. As the old saying goes:

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one and lots of them stink.;)

(Traveling on the Elation on 11/16)

(Traveling on the Oosterdam on 11/21)

And there is some evidence that Zin comes from Sangiovese, but more likely the Nebbiolo. Either way I suspect this wine would fall under your "harsh" category.

Zinfandel is actually a genetic twin of the Italian grape "primitivo" and University of California at Davis now have evidence they BOTH come from Croatian grape variety callec Crljenak.

Yikes!!!:eek:

Now I have to correct MYSELF!!

After I did the last posting I went for my walk listening to the Stray Cats which somehow clears my mind.

It then hit me that I said there is a probability that the Zinfandel grape came from the Nebbiolo. I meant to say the PRIMITIVO grape.

And if you ever want to taste a super bargain Primitivo try "A Mano".

Thanks, Scotty:rolleyes:

Boy you gotta be quick around here. As soon as I got back I looked to see that there was no response to my mistake. So I was happy to send it before anyone corrected me. By the time I sent it, you had already got me Taxmantoo.

So I'll cover myself by saying I did it as a test to see if anyone was paying attention.

Good job!!!;)

Boy you gotta be quick around here. As soon as I got back I looked to see that there was no response to my mistake. So I was happy to send it before anyone corrected me. By the time I sent it, you had already got me Taxmantoo.

So I'll cover myself by saying I did it as a test to see if anyone was paying attention.

Good job!!!;)

LOL not only was someone paying attention, but a certified sommelier and a big fan of primitivo di manduria was paying attention...

All of the replies have been great and really helps me out. I should explain the "harsh" comment a bit I guess - I like a good merlot and a cab, but the cheaper ones often have a "harsh" taste to me. Thats what I was worried about when you are getting a gift package like this - you wonder about the quality. Plus, my wife likes the sweeter wines and zin is her favorite.

Again, thanks for the advice, I will copy the comments and take them with me. The idea about the wine tasting the first day is great advice!

DaveOKC

As per HAL's website description, you get to choose from a selection.

3-Bottle Navigator Wine Package

This package allows you to choose 3 wines of a wonderful selection that includes Mondavi Private Selection J Riesling, Monkey Bay Chardonnay, Caliterra Chardonnay, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, Sylvester Kiarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Three Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon, Laboure Roi Pinot Grigio, Veramonte Merlot, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Remole I Frescaboldi and Twin Fin Shiraz.

You can easily find 3 to your liking. There is no need to upgrade. Enjoy!

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Ravenswood Zinfandel and Twin Fin SHiraz would be a great way to utilize that gift :)

Archived