Paying onboard bill

Hi everyone

We intend to use a debit card which we have already entered onto the RCL system and printed out our sea pass.

Q. If we go over what we have saved on our debit card account can we use our credit card (although we don't want to) to pay the difference and should we discuss this with them once on board.

If the debit card account is something you normally use once you at home, I would suggest using the credit card on board and paying it off when you get home.

I have read on the boards where people have had problems with the hold amount and length of time when they have used a debit card. Other's on here will be able to give more explicit advice.

As far as using a credit card to pay off any excess once on board, that is not a problem, can be handled easily at guest relations.

I agree..I would not want to take the chance of having my personal checking account tied up with "pending" charges from my cruise...if you don't want to use your credit card, why not get one of the pre-paid credit cards...then you have a card on file..but no bill waiting for you when you get home!

I have to agree--a credit card doesn't trigger "hold amounts" like your debit card will....you could use the credit card for your account, and on the last night, use the debit to pay it off... Don't use the debit as the link to your account. Or, as another poster suggested, just use your saved funds to pay your credit card bill!

so if i use my debit card for my sea pass they'll hold charges even if i settle my account with cash at the end?

BUt if i use a credit card; they don't charge anything and i can again settle my card with cash at the end?

If i really don't want my card charged period...can i put down a credit card then settle it with a debit card or am i better off using cash or travelers check at the end?

kc320

Have never heard of a prepaid credit card?

So am I getting this straight - I would be better off paying with my credit card as they do not put any holds on your account anytime during your cruise, whereas they may put a hold on my debit card at sometime during my cruise.

It is better to put my credit card details into my Sea Pass on line is that correct for the reasons above.

Paying cash is not really an option as most debit cards have a cash withdrawal daily limit and I really do not want to be either travelling with that sort of cash from England or the hassel of drawing it out daily on board or ATM's on islands to allow me to pay the end bill.

Can one of you please confirm that I have got this all straight.

Thanks

It's not that they won't put a hold on your credit card, but it's that a hold on your credit card is less likely to cause you problems than a hold on your debit card. I'm making up numbers here, put lets say they put a $500 hold on your debit card. Even if you only end up spending $200, and even if $200 is the amount charged in the end, that $500 hold will stay on your card all week. That means that you'll have $500 less "available" funds in the account linked to your debit card, so if you have any bills being automatically debited while you're away, or charges/cheques left to clear, you may find yourself temporarily in overdraft even though you have the money in the account to cover what the actual charge will be in the end. On a credit card, the hold is less likely to affect you- you probably won't even notice it because it will be gone (replaced with the actual charge) when you disembark.

One solution that I think would work for you is to put down the credit card on the first day, but then settle on the last night at the guest relations desk with your debit card if that's what you prefer. That way you know exactly what you're charging to it, whether or not it's over your budgeted amount, and you won't have any surprises.

It's not that they won't put a hold on your credit card, but it's that a hold on your credit card is less likely to cause you problems than a hold on your debit card. I'm making up numbers here, put lets say they put a $500 hold on your debit card. Even if you only end up spending $200, and even if $200 is the amount charged in the end, that $500 hold will stay on your card all week. That means that you'll have $500 less "available" funds in the account linked to your debit card, so if you have any bills being automatically debited while you're away, or charges/cheques left to clear, you may find yourself temporarily in overdraft even though you have the money in the account to cover what the actual charge will be in the end. On a credit card, the hold is less likely to affect you- you probably won't even notice it because it will be gone (replaced with the actual charge) when you disembark.

One solution that I think would work for you is to put down the credit card on the first day, but then settle on the last night at the guest relations desk with your debit card if that's what you prefer. That way you know exactly what you're charging to it, whether or not it's over your budgeted amount, and you won't have any surprises.

Thanks singing pixi got it now. I think I will use my credit card to pay the whole bill and then just pay off completely from my debit account as soon as I get back so that I do not incur the horrendous charges they impose.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks singing pixi got it now. I think I will use my credit card to pay the whole bill and then just pay off completely from my debit account as soon as I get back so that I do not incur the horrendous charges they impose.

Thanks everyone.

This is truly your best bet. I used my debit card on the last cruise and had some issues. When you purchase things like drinks or souvenirs on the ship they put a hold on those charge amounts to your debit card to ensure that you have sufficient funds. At the end they actually charge your card, so in essence, while your bank is holding those pending charges you made on board you're out double the actual amount.

My bank held those pending charges for 14 days and it was annoying to say the least. My fault for not researching it ahead of time like you are though! ;)

This is truly your best bet. I used my debit card on the last cruise and had some issues. When you purchase things like drinks or souvenirs on the ship they put a hold on those charge amounts to your debit card to ensure that you have sufficient funds. At the end they actually charge your card, so in essence, while your bank is holding those pending charges you made on board you're out double the actual amount.

My bank held those pending charges for 14 days and it was annoying to say the least. My fault for not researching it ahead of time like you are though! ;)

Credit cards get the same hold put on them also. We have always used the same Amex card, and they do the same thing. Most people don't notice the holds on a credit card, as they most likely have a lot of avail credit anyway. I saw a thread about this a long while back, so being curious I checked the card after a cruise. We called Citi, the AA Amex issuer and they got on a 3 way with RCI and got the holds removed right away, no waiting.

On our last cruise we decided to try our debit card to see what would happen, and it was the same. We called our bank, they did a 3 way with RCI, and holds were removed right away. You need to get both RCI and the card issuer to talk with each other. RCI confirms the payment was made and authorizes the card issuer to remove the holds. As long as the merchant who put the hold there confirms there will be no charge for it, the bank can remove it right away.

Credit cards get the same hold put on them also. We have always used the same Amex card, and they do the same thing. Most people don't notice the holds on a credit card, as they most likely have a lot of avail credit anyway. I saw a thread about this a long while back, so being curious I checked the card after a cruise. We called Citi, the AA Amex issuer and they got on a 3 way with RCI and got the holds removed right away, no waiting.

On our last cruise we decided to try our debit card to see what would happen, and it was the same. We called our bank, they did a 3 way with RCI, and holds were removed right away. You need to get both RCI and the card issuer to talk with each other. RCI confirms the payment was made and authorizes the card issuer to remove the holds. As long as the merchant who put the hold there confirms there will be no charge for it, the bank can remove it right away.

It's great that your bank would do that for you. Maybe they CAN, but not all do. I would suggest researching it beforehand like the OP is. What caused some aggravation for me was that I didn't do that. :o

My bank required a letter on letterhead from RCI. I would have then had to bring it to my bank and they would have to forward it to their "home office" and then it would take a few days for it to get approved yada yada... I said, "forget it, by the time we do all that it'll be a moot point."

It's great that your bank would do that for you. Maybe they CAN, but not all do. I would suggest researching it beforehand like the OP is. What caused some aggravation for me was that I didn't do that. :o

My bank required a letter on letterhead from RCI. I would have then had to bring it to my bank and they would have to forward it to their "home office" and then it would take a few days for it to get approved yada yada... I said, "forget it, by the time we do all that it'll be a moot point."

I'd find a new bank. that is just poor cust service.

I'd find a new bank. that is just poor cust service.

LOL, funny you say that b/c I'm in the process of switching now. That was the beginning of many bad experiences in the last couple of months. My bank (that I've been using for 15 years) was recently bought out by a Candian bank and it's been downhill ever since. Once all the direct deposit info is changed I'll be saying goodbye!

Archived