"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

there are so many wonderful and helpful lists here of what too bring and not too bring. when i went on my first cruise i took it too heart and brought duckt tape, a bungee cord ( i did not have a balcony so why did i need that ), power stip, extra hangers, highliters,3 books ( i was so busy i did not even open one up too read it ) and enough batteries for my camera too last a month :eek:. i bet my bag weighed 5 extra lbs with all the extra stuff and WAY TOO MANY CLOTHES than what i needed that i stuffed in my bag. i have really pared down and only take a small carryon and my handbag that has lots of zippers and pockets for things i need too have with me at all times. it is up too each person how much they are going too need. but it is really true that you need too look at each item 2-3 times too know if you are really going too need it. but it sure is fun too find all the things you do need and want too take ;).

there are so many wonderful and helpful lists here of what to bring and not to bring. when i went on my first cruise i took it to heart and brought duct tape, a bungee cord ( i did not have a balcony so why did i need that ), power stip, extra hangers, highliters,3 books ( i was so busy i did not even open one up too read it ) and enough batteries for my camera too last a month :eek:. i bet my bag weighed 5 extra lbs with all the extra stuff and WAY TOO MANY CLOTHES than what i needed that i stuffed in my bag. i have really pared down and only take a small carryon and my handbag that has lots of zippers and pockets for things i need too have with me at all times. it is up to each person how much they are going too need. but it is really true that you need too look at each item 2-3 times too know if you are really going too need it. but it sure is fun too find all the things you do need and want too take ;).

I brought the power strip and duct tape but they did end up being used. Things that were recommended that I did take and did not use were the drink mixes and laundry detergent. I brought an airfeshener but it didn't work out well. I took the kind that you slide on a shelf and it kept the closet door from closing. If I were to take one again I would just take one of the car ones.

As for the books - both my flight to the port and flight home were delayed. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had books with me lol

I brought the power strip and duct tape but they did end up being used. Things that were recommended that I did take and did not use were the drink mixes and laundry detergent. I brought an airfeshener but it didn't work out well. I took the kind that you slide on a shelf and it kept the closet door from closing. If I were to take one again I would just take one of the car ones.

As for the books - both my flight to the port and flight home were delayed. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had books with me lol

i forgot about the drink mixes and laundry detergent i didnt use :D. one thing i will always take is the small purse size spray can of cologne or odor out for the cabin bathroom. especially if there is more than one in the cabin. it keeps it fresh smelling.

i forgot about the drink mixes and laundry detergent i didnt use :D. one thing i will always take is the small purse size spray can of cologne or odor out for the cabin bathroom. especially if there is more than one in the cabin. it keeps it fresh smelling.

The drink mixes at least weren't a waste of money as I do use them at work. :)

I also took a "wallflower" w/ a nightlight from Bath & Body Works last time. It was an inside cabin and my roomie was a little scared of the dark. So not only did it serve that purpose but it also freshened the room.

My one tip if you're going to try the "wallflower" route. Save the cap or it'll leak all over your suitcase when you go home.

Edited by Eris0303

The drink mixes at least weren't a waste of money as I do use them at work. :)

I also took a "wallflower" w/ a nightlight from Bath & Body Works last time. It was an inside cabin and my roomie was a little scared of the dark. So not only did it serve that purpose but it also freshened the room.

My one tip if you're going to try the "wallflower" route. Save the cap or it'll leak all over your suitcase when you go home.

the wallflower is a great idea. i love the smell of the bath % body items.

Do you have a favorite scent? I lean towards Moonlight Path, Warm Vanilla Sugar, and Paris Amor

i like the warm vanilla sugar. especially in the winter time. my apartment has a wonderful smell like am baking something really good ;).

i like the warm vanilla sugar. especially in the winter time. my apartment has a wonderful smell like am baking something really good ;).

Yum :)

I'm probably taking linen or cotton on my next cruise. I'm in a quad and the "rule of thumb" is to always go with something neutral in shared spaces.

Yum :)

I'm probably taking linen or cotton on my next cruise. I'm in a quad and the "rule of thumb" is to always go with something neutral in shared spaces.

i like linen also. and i use very little perfume so i dont overpower anyone else onboard.

I wish I'd known to bring a clock my phone lost time somewhere out in the ocean. I don't wear watches so I never knew what day (until they brought the daily itinerary) or what time it was

Also buy an over the door shoe rack from Walmart to store things. The room is small and the bathroom is tiny. I used it for passports toothbrush combs lotion my shoes anything I needed to store and not have to look all over or dig in my suitcases for

1) I wish I'd understood that cruise insurance from my cruise line doesn't include medical evacuation insurance.

Even a healthy 20-something can break a leg, etc.

2) It's location, location, location. Our bargain verandah under the theater was available for a good reason.

3) Arrive a day Before the cruise, not the day after.

4) There's a cruise line for every mind set. Find the one where you'll be happiest.

5) The cruise of a lifetime? Alaska!

I plan on bringing a small piece of mole skin. I've done this for land vacations when there is a lot of walking involved, or for this case, the high heels that I'll be wearing at night that I am not used to. Even if I don't get a blister, it helps to cover a sensitive area of my foot and it stays better than a bandaid. Nothing is worse than a sore foot on a day a shore!

I plan on bringing a small piece of mole skin. I've done this for land vacations when there is a lot of walking involved, or for this case, the high heels that I'll be wearing at night that I am not used to. Even if I don't get a blister, it helps to cover a sensitive area of my foot and it stays better than a bandaid. Nothing is worse than a sore foot on a day a shore!

One of the best pieces of advice I have seen here!

kaylaw25 posted about the over-the-door thing that she puts various things in to keep them organized, among which she mentioned her passport. Under no circumstances would I keep my passport out like that. It's much safer locked in the in-room safe. That one thing could potentially be more valuable than all the money you take with you, and it should be safe-guarded.

kaylaw25 posted about the over-the-door thing that she puts various things in to keep them organized, among which she mentioned her passport. Under no circumstances would I keep my passport out like that. It's much safer locked in the in-room safe. That one thing could potentially be more valuable than all the money you take with you, and it should be safe-guarded.

Totally agree with you!!!!!!

Our family is preparing to take another cruise, so to make it easier for them - particularly our Mom - to sort through these great suggestions, I've consolidated them in categories. I've posted them at our website - under 'Wish I Had Known' - where you can access them as well. There is nothing for sale at our site; it's designed to share ideas for our family and friends. Thanks to all of your for sharing these wonderful ideas.

DarryDFL, just to say thank you, your site is very helpfull.

I am trying to dig all I can about cruising, so I can relax and enjoy my first one.

And thanx to everyone that did post here, tons of good advise!

they had laundry rooms on most floors on Golden Princess last November, they had 4 washers 4 dryers and 4 ironing boards and irons, they sold detergent etc from a machine and it's expensive, you also need a supply of quarters, I got mine changed at the guest services desk, also everyone waits till the last sea day to do their laundry so avoid it at all costs.

lot's of long sundress type dresses worn on our last cruise, Golden Princess Hawaii last Nov

Awesome! Thanks. I just don't get much opportunity to wear one here, and I do love the fad of the long dresses, so I'm happy I will get chances to wear it and not look out of place. :)

We are UK based and as first time cruisers wondering what to do about taking currency with us. Our Dubai to Singapore cruise goes from Dubai to Oman then to India, Malaysia and Singapore. What should we do about having local currency available for shore trips? Also is there a need to have some US dollars with us for on board use?

Edited by Stigliano