"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I never know what to do with my wet toothbrush! Putting it in a baggy still wet is gross...sitting it on the little shelf, hoping it wont tip over is gross, travel toothbrushes get nasty inside... Then I found a suction cup toothbrush holder! i bring it on cruises and hotel stays! Just attach it to the mirror and no more worries! I sound like an info-mercial! I hope I am not the only one with wet toothbrush issues!

Never had a carry-on weighted.

When traveling in the US I've never had my carry on weighed either. Actually, many times I was able to put my very heavy items in my carry on in order not to weigh down the checked luggage and risk paying overweight charges.

However, on some flights within Europe I've had it weighed. They seem to get strict about it. Speaking from personal experience, I would be very careful about the weight and size limits on flights within Europe.

This is essential I remember my first cruise. We were flying in to meet the conquest and all set to fly to sail out of New Orleans. Everything was perfect land at 10 am and quick ride to the dock except one little problem. The docks in New Orleans were messed up and the ship was now sailing out of Gulfport MS. Carnival had to put us and 2 other couples on a bus and transport us to Gulfport. My stress level was so high that I know my blood pressure was through the roof. We got to the docks and rushed to board but did not get to enjoy the first day and was to frustrated to eat or do anything till the next day. This next cruise I am getting there a day or two early so DW and I can relax and have a peaceful cruise and honeymoon

I never know what to do with my wet toothbrush! Putting it in a baggy still wet is gross...sitting it on the little shelf, hoping it wont tip over is gross, travel toothbrushes get nasty inside... Then I found a suction cup toothbrush holder! i bring it on cruises and hotel stays! Just attach it to the mirror and no more worries! I sound like an info-mercial! I hope I am not the only one with wet toothbrush issues!

I have one of those that I use at home for disposable (but not after a single use) razors. Little piggie face, adorable.

My children will be 12 and 16 when we go on the Allure in November. We have only been on a Disney cruise so no formal night really on that ship. What are the expectations for my kids regarding dress. My son is the 16 year old and my daughter 12. For some reason I am more worried about formal night than anything else. :)

Our DS's are younger, but we take one or two pairs of dark trousers and two collared shirts, one a dress shirt that is dressed up with a patterned tie (patterns hide any stains better :D) on formal nights, and a slightly more casual collared shirt for the "resort casual" nights.

Hi all, quick question!

I've been on plenty of cruises before but my upcoming cruise is going to be the first one where we all have to actually fly to the port, and as checked bags are just so gosh darn expensive these days we will be only be taking carry ons :( I've been reading a lot about people getting slapped with overweight fees, what do you mean by this? If I can get it to fit in an a overhead compartment but it's overweight I will have to pay extra? Thanks in advance, hope it wasn't to silly of a question! :D

We usually travel with just carryons and we have only had to weigh them once. They said that it can be an issue for the cabin staff if they have to move the bags once they are in the overhead bins and it can be a safety issue for those sitting below.

Some tips for keeping the weight down... Limit your packed shoes to two pairs (one formal and one sandal, wear your walking shoes on the plane) they are often one of the heaviest things to pack. Don't forget that liquid and gel toiletries have to be smaller than 3 oz and all of them must fit in a smaller ziplock bag. This also helps to keep the weight down. Double check with your airline for what is allowable in carryon luggage and for that matter, double check what carryon luggage size is allowed on your flight as it varies by airline and sometimes by plane.

Happy packing!

Edited by cantw8togo

OMG! I can't even imagine waiting that long for a cruise!

The one we are taking on April 7th was booked the end of July....that is the most advanced we have ever booked!

Hate to tell you how far out we booked our trip. We just got under the 500 mark but ours we booked in the beginning of July for next DEC 2013

I'm sure many will disagree, but I feel like I need to post our experience for any other families who may be like ours. First, let me say our Carnival Conquest staff were excellent. This is just from our point of view -- our perspective.

After cruising for a week on the Conquest, we realized, for our family, we'll prefer flying to an island and staying there in a resort or condo next time. Our favorite parts of the cruise were the stops at the islands. But, we felt rushed (with two boys) to squeeze in everything we wanted to see/do. Also, we were surprised that much of the cruise activities are catered to adults, unless your children participate in the kids' clubs. We, however, wanted to stay together for much of the time. The shows at night were not kid-friendly (due to the attire of the dancers -- which Carnival makes very clear in the daily itineraries so no one's surprised) and the family comedians were not quite as conservative with their jokes as we'd have preferred. It seemed like every time we turned around, we were being offered liqour. Also, we were unable to enjoy one another's company on the decks due to the loud music.

I totally realize this is absolutely appealing to many people & different people enjoy different vacations. There are no complaints on our end with any of it because we were never told it would be a conservative, family-friendly environment. Again, this is the opinion of one family.

i would imagine a line like disney would be a much better choice of line for a family-friendly, family oriented cruise?

i would imagine a line like disney would be a much better choice of line for a family-friendly, family oriented cruise?

Depends on the family. To some families the atmosphere might be a bit too directed at one particular kind of family. But I think for a conservative family, Disney is the ticket.

Why don't you just dry it?

• 3 weeks later...

I just found an item that I will never cruise without. QueasyBeads! They work the same way the SeaBands work but aren't ugly! On my last cruise I hated putting on the SeaBands with my formal attire. Those ugly sweatbands just made me feel less pretty in my fancy dresses. And, when you wear them everyone knows you're seasick. I like this option much better.

I just found an item that I will never cruise without. QueasyBeads! They work the same way the SeaBands work but aren't ugly! On my last cruise I hated putting on the SeaBands with my formal attire. Those ugly sweatbands just made me feel less pretty in my fancy dresses. And, when you wear them everyone knows you're seasick. I like this option much better.

These look very cool -- let us know if they work well!

A friend of mine who is going on the same cruise as I am in January ordered a pair too. Since my cruise isn't until January I won't be able to truly review them until then. But I love the idea of having a "fashionable" way to fight off the roll of the sea.

I could not read all of the posts so I am not sure if anyone has posted this yet. Bring dry erase markers to write notes for roomates or even room staff. Great way to keep in touch.

great tip. we used sticky note pads and stuck them too the mirror too leave messages too each other in the cabin.

Very interested in these. How cute!!! I have only gotten seasick once but it was awful enough not to want to have it again....:(

Interested to know if these really work.

I spent the last three days reading all 50 pages of this thread. I have a list (2 pages front and back) of tips and I am so thankful for all the info.

Have had the trip booked for a very long time. Just booked airfare and my obsession with this site has been renewed...;)

I wore a cocktail dress and matching sandals. that's what almost all the women wore, except the once in dressy pants suits or pants/tunic outfits.

No floor length gowns, Most men wore black suits, but there was a scientist on board that wore a tux with bow tie and cummerbund decorated with chemical symbols.

When I saw you said there were no floor length gowns, does that include the new fade of the floor length maxi casual sundress type dresses? I just bought one but now I'm paranoid that it might just be more of a regional fade, than an international one. I'm really assuming you meant more like the 'formal prom type gowns' but figured I'd feel better clarifying. Thanks!

When I saw you said there were no floor length gowns, does that include the new fade of the floor length maxi casual sundress type dresses? I just bought one but now I'm paranoid that it might just be more of a regional fade, than an international one. I'm really assuming you meant more like the 'formal prom type gowns' but figured I'd feel better clarifying. Thanks!

I don't remember anything floor length at all to tell the truth, but I don't think your dress, esp. if it isn't too "fussy" would be okay. It would with me, I just wanted a dress that I could wear afterwards to weddings and the like.

You should ask this on your cruiseline's board because the answer probably depends on the cruiseline. NCL is supposed to be pretty casual, where other lines still enforce formal night and tuxes and full length gowns are still popular.

Here's the NCL board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Very interested in these. How cute!!! I have only gotten seasick once but it was awful enough not to want to have it again....:(

Interested to know if these really work..

I wore the seabands on my last cruise and they worked for me and these work the same way with the large bead pressing into the space between your tendons on the inside of your wrist.

GrammaJo128 The maxi dress is definitely "in" in Ireland and the UK and, although this is my first cruise, from talking to a friend at work who is just back from an RCI cruise, your dress will be fine! yankee1chic - I have just ordered 2 sets of these - I am a TERRIBLE traveller who could get seasick just looking at a pond! I'll let you know if they work for me!

I love reading everyone's posts here - some great ideas!

I don't remember anything floor length at all to tell the truth, but I don't think your dress, esp. if it isn't too "fussy" would be okay. It would with me, I just wanted a dress that I could wear afterwards to weddings and the like.

Oh that is very practical thinking! I don't think the dress I have would be for a wedding because it really is just a casual sundress type thing that was just $30.00. The maxi length just makes it feel more dressy to me and it can be dressed up or down with shoes and jewelry.

I'm embarrassed that I spelled 'fad' as 'fade'! It was very late and I had read through almost 30 pages of this thread. Totally awesome for us newbies! I cut and pasted and have tons of notes to go over but I feel so much more prepared for our first cruise! Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks for the link NoobCruise! I'm still trying to learn how to navigate through these boards. And TeeCee thanks for the update that the maxi isn't just a regional thing where I live. I've recently lost 60 lbs and I am so excited to be able to wear something pretty and flowing and feel very feminine for our cruise! When I was at my heaviest I had stopped wearing dresses of any kind because they were not at all flattering. From what I've read though, I may very well gain a big chunk of that back while cruising! :eek:

I got FOR my first cruise was to bring a large cup...mine was a 32 ounce insulated plastic cup....have brought one on every cruise since...especially great to fill with ice and a cold drink...and not have to get up while sunning by the pool.....or on the balcony...So many people comment on our cruises that they wish they had though of it!

Bernadette

I use a big insulated cup to make my own ice tea since I prefer brewed from a tea bag over instant.