"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

You should be fine but theres always a chance that itll be delayed leaving the airport due to congestion or bad weather or etc plus then transportation from the airport to the port might be stuck in traffic so it might get you stressed but you should be fine! thats why people say to fly in earlier less to worry about!

I keep seeing people say to fly in a day early.. we booked our flight before I saw this. We get into the airport at 1130am and the ship is supposed to take off at 4. What do I do? Is this okay?!:confused::confused::confused:

I keep seeing people say to fly in a day early.. we booked our flight before I saw this. We get into the airport at 1130am and the ship is supposed to take off at 4. What do I do? Is this okay?!:confused::confused::confused:

Coming in a day early greatly reduces the chance of missing the ship. No point in starting your vacation with a stressful day wondering if you will make it.

You should be OK, but you never know when there will be delays. If you do get delayed, make sure the airline knows you are going to a cruise ship. It may not get you there, but it can't hurt

Try not to worry. We did this for our first cruise and it worked out fine. That was before Cruise Critic :D

Now we fly in a day or two before embarkation.

I just wanted to add that, in my personal opinion, a luggage scale is a smart buy. I got mine off ebags when they were having a 50% off/free shipping sale. Not only did it help when was I was packing for my trip but it was small enough for me to put in my carry on and use when I was packing to come home from the cruise.

You don't need to get a really expensive one but I do think it came in handy. Especially since I've been able to let people borrow it.

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts here. We bought a luggage scale too - thought it would be really useful! Just starting to gather up the bits and bobs in preparation and visiting the docs for travel medication - just in case! Getting really excited now.

if you use dryer sheets put one in a 13 gallon trash bag and throw it in your suitcase. it is great too put your dirty clothes in. nothing worse than wet dirty clothes too smell up a cabin or bag.

Hefty makes a 2.5 gallon zip lock that I really like. Good for personal items like socks or undies when they're dirty.

Hefty makes a 2.5 gallon zip lock that I really like. Good for personal items like socks or undies when they're dirty.

i will definetely keep my eye out for those. i can put my undies in them, sqeeze out the air, zip shut and put them in the bag when i pack too go. thanks.

We bought a luggage scale too, and do use it. However, on one cruise a while back our cabin steward offered to weigh our bags for us. He said they all have access to luggage scales and will weigh your bags if asked. That option will allow us to weigh our bags with it at home, then not have to pack the scale and take along. ....just FYI.

We bought a luggage scale too, and do use it. However, on one cruise a while back our cabin steward offered to weigh our bags for us. He said they all have access to luggage scales and will weigh your bags if asked. That option will allow us to weigh our bags with it at home, then not have to pack the scale and take along. ....just FYI.

That's a good tip - I had no idea! :)

:rolleyes: Loving this thread !

About to go on my very first cruise in less than 2 weeks! Sudden "last minute" booking, Carnival ELATION out of NOLA ~

:DWHAT a lot of GREAT info on this Thread ! Love the notes about Post=its, Walkie-Talkies (I HAVE a set !), Shoe holders for storage, Zip lock Big Bags, and LOADS more!

I'm about half thru the thread going from TODAY backward - Newer info is better, for this First Timer !

Having known a person who was injured on a Central America trip and had to use MediVac - I KNOW that the insurance I just bought, via one of the advice threads, will help me feel more secure! That is a good thread, Trip Insurance or Not!

I will read and RE=Read this thread, to be sure I'm getting all the best and latest info, and MAKE my LIST, do the Santa thing, ck it TWICE (or more!)

THANKS You folks who've Been THERE, and Wished they'd HAD that ! LOL :D

About to go on my very first cruise in less than 2 weeks! Sudden "last minute" booking, Carnival ELATION out of NOLA ~

:DWHAT a lot of GREAT info on this Thread ! Love the notes about Post=its, Walkie-Talkies (I HAVE a set !), Shoe holders for storage, Zip lock Big Bags, and LOADS more!

I'm about half thru the thread going from TODAY backward - Newer info is better, for this First Timer !

Having known a person who was injured on a Central America trip and had to use MediVac - I KNOW that the insurance I just bought, via one of the advice threads, will help me feel more secure! That is a good thread, Trip Insurance or Not!

I will read and RE=Read this thread, to be sure I'm getting all the best and latest info, and MAKE my LIST, do the Santa thing, ck it TWICE (or more!)

Have a great first cruise. If you're like most (admittedly not all) this will be the first of many as you find yourself with a new addiction.

Have fun on your first cruise - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I know I've said this before but it's worth repeating - don't take every piece of advice as gospel. Really think about how you personally travel. I took so much stuff on my first cruise that was never used. I saw it here or on a packing list and thought it was a "necessity".

My doctor didn't give me Scopoderm patches :(:( - instead he gave me betahistine - hope it works! Also searched high & low around town and couldn't get 32oz Foam Insulated Cups - and the postage from US was way too high!! :(

Betahistine? Do you have vertigo problems? Do you plan on taking that to ward off sea sickness? I thought nausea was a side effect of betahistine.

I'm no doctor but in my humble opinion is unless you have SEVERE motion sickness issues you're probably better off with OTC products like dramamine or bonine. Or holistic products like Sea Bands, QueasyBeads, Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum, or ginger pills.

No vertigo problems but he insisted that Betahistine would work :confused: but I don't want to be drowsy!!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I have suffered dreadful travel sickness since childhood and have tried various remedies including Dramamine which I can no longer get. I usually end up with taking the pharmacists advice but I've never found a remedy that didn't make me zonk out!

I have bought my queasybeads - a lovely alternative to the usual travel sickness bands - and I have ginger pills but for some reason I can't get Dramamine or Bonine pills in Ireland - there's a brand called Stugeron which contains Cinnarizine :confused: so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible! :o

No vertigo problems but he insisted that Betahistine would work :confused: but I don't want to be nauseous, sick, or drowsy!!

Try ginger from a herbal shop, its good for nausea, just suck it, don't chew :eek::eek: It worked for my son.

No vertigo problems but he insisted that Betahistine would work :confused: but I don't want to be drowsy!!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I have suffered dreadful travel sickness since childhood and have tried various remedies including Dramamine which I can no longer get. I usually end up with taking the pharmacists advice but I've never found a remedy that didn't make me zonk out!

I have bought my queasybeads - a lovely alternative to the usual travel sickness bands - and I have ginger pills but for some reason I can't get Dramamine or Bonine pills in Ireland - there's a brand called Stugeron which contains Cinnarizine :confused: so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible! :o

You could always see if there is a grocery or drug store near your hotel to get some Dramamine or Bonine.

I'm glad to hear you got some QueasyBeads. I have a feeling they're going to be a popular alternative.

Finally can post one!!

If you have a celebration you want to be done at dinner don't count on the cruise line knowing about it...tell your waiter! They will come through with flying colors!! :)

Are you referring to having a private party on board? We are arranging one and would like to know. Thank you!!

Are you referring to having a private party on board? We are arranging one and would like to know. Thank you!!

I think Luvcats! was referring to celebrating your birthday or anniversary, etc on a cruise.

If you want to arrange a private party, on Princess there is a section at their HQ that handles per planning for gatherings. They deal with the purser to arrange a room, etc. I would think other lines have a similar process.

I've always used Bonine. You can get that at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart or Costco.