"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

I just found an item that I will never cruise without. QueasyBeads! They work the same way the SeaBands work but aren't ugly! On my last cruise I hated putting on the SeaBands with my formal attire. Those ugly sweatbands just made me feel less pretty in my fancy dresses. And, when you wear them everyone knows you're seasick. I like this option much better.

Thanks so much for posting this! My friend gets motion sickness very easily but, as you say, the traditional motion sickness bands are pretty easy to spot. This will make a nice alternative for formal nights! :)

Regarding dresses - I sailed on HAL last January and there was a pretty decent mix of cocktail style (ie short) and long dresses. Both were exceptable it just depends on your personal preference. HAL still holds to the "dress for dinner" way of thinking as opposed to other lines. Sundresses and more casual dresses were perfectly exceptable and, again, there was a mix of short and "maxi" dresses. Personally, I took mostly short dresses as I find them easier to pack though I did have one "maxi" dress.

When I saw you said there were no floor length gowns, does that include the new fade of the floor length maxi casual sundress type dresses? I just bought one but now I'm paranoid that it might just be more of a regional fade, than an international one. I'm really assuming you meant more like the 'formal prom type gowns' but figured I'd feel better clarifying. Thanks!

I purchased a maxi sundress I consider casual.. I intend to wear it during the day on the ship.:)

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question...this will be my first time cruising as well as my first time traveling with prescription medication. Do I need to bring a copy of the prescription with me or will the clearly marked rx bottle be enough? I don't want to arrive in San Juan and suddenly find out that I needed to bring a copy of my prescription and have my meds taken away!

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question...this will be my first time cruising as well as my first time traveling with prescription medication. Do I need to bring a copy of the prescription with me or will the clearly marked rx bottle be enough?

No copy needed. Put all meds with your other valuables in your carry on, they will not even be looked at.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question...this will be my first time cruising as well as my first time traveling with prescription medication. Do I need to bring a copy of the prescription with me or will the clearly marked rx bottle be enough? I don't want to arrive in San Juan and suddenly find out that I needed to bring a copy of my prescription and have my meds taken away!

Always bring any prescription meds in the original container that they were issued in. It will have the prescription info on the label, should any questions arise. And of course, as you may already know....place them in your carry-ons, not your packed luggage. My hubby and I both take meds, and it's standard practice for us. Good question! :)

Didn't read all the posts but here's my tip.

At midnight or so on the last night, your fairy tale holiday hits reality. You must pack up all your stuff and get your bags out into the corridor before you go to bed.

You must also decide what to put in your daypack/carry on to get you through the entire journey home. It has to accommodate the nightwear you sleep in on the last night, and the toiletries and meds you need until you arrive home. If you depart the ship early in the morning and have to kill time before a flight home, your bag must also hold everything you'll need during the day (like sunscreen, sun hat, etc.) And if you're like us and will fly home to ice and snow, you'd better give a thought before midnight on that last night about what you'll be wearing when you step off your plane and into the howling north wind.

Sorry, bummer, I know. But you're going to be homeless from the time you step off that ship till the time you open your front door at home. All you're going to have is what you're carrying with you. Best to figure that out before you hit the margaritas and martinis on your last evening.

Just back from our first cruise and had a great time, thanks in part to all the great advice found here. One regret was that we didn't bring walkie-talkies. With for adults and two kids, we spent a lot of time looking for each other. We used the post-it notes method of posting messages inside our cabin, but I saw a few families with their radios and wished we had invested in some. Cell phones aren't helpful unless you are in US waters, or unless you don't mind the roaming charges!

I never know what to do with my wet toothbrush! Putting it in a baggy still wet is gross...sitting it on the little shelf, hoping it wont tip over is gross, travel toothbrushes get nasty inside... Then I found a suction cup toothbrush holder! i bring it on cruises and hotel stays! Just attach it to the mirror and no more worries! I sound like an info-mercial! I hope I am not the only one with wet toothbrush issues!

I just stand my toothbrush up in a water glass.

I use an electric toothbrush at home but for holidays I just buy those packets of disposable toothbrushes, use them twice a day and then throw. They are full size toothbrushes impregnated with toothpaste in a sealed packet. (I bring a small travel size toothpaste for the second use at night and then toss the brush and then have fresh ones each day).

I have never left a toothbrush out, even the disposable one I put away til the evening, as never fancied it being used to clean the toilet or stuck somewhere unmentionable........lol!!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I use an electric toothbrush at home but for holidays I just buy those packets of disposable toothbrushes, use them twice a day and then throw. They are full size toothbrushes impregnated with toothpaste in a sealed packet. (I bring a small travel size toothpaste for the second use at night and then toss the brush and then have fresh ones each day).

I have never left a toothbrush out, even the disposable one I put away til the evening, as never fancied it being used to clean the toilet or stuck somewhere unmentionable........lol!!

I know what you mean, our friends caught a cleaner using their toothbrush to clean the bathroom sink when they were out in Bulgaria. Yuck!!!:mad:

I had a post here about the toothbrush holders with the suction cups but I guess it was deleted for advertising.

I've thought about starting a thread for people to post in regarding various sales (ie free shipping at various stores that sell travel items) or if we spot an item at a store ("I saw abc items and xyz store"). Just as a way to help other people. I don't want to break any rules though.

Edited by Eris0303

I had a post here about the toothbrush holders with the suction cups but I guess it was deleted for advertising.

I've thought about starting a thread for people to post in regarding various sales (ie free shipping at various stores that sell travel items) or if we spot an item at a store ("I saw abc items and xyz store"). Just as a way to help other people. I don't want to break any rules though.

Think I saw it, from the big W as we call it?

I can't see why it would be removed as there are dozens of links in the cruise fashion type threads with links to here, there and everywhere for all the bargains we find.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Take a highlighter so you can highlight what you wanna do the next day in the "fun times"

Take a water bottle, cups are small.

Wear your bathing suit when you board, that way you can go swimming while the ship is still pretty empty, and while everyone else is waiting to get their luggage to get their swimsuit.

Bring some zip lock baggies.

Before you arrive at a new port, order some snacks via room service. Tip them a couple dollars. Then pack the snacks for your time off the ship.

Room service is complimentary. Its nice to do in the mornings when you don't wanna rush out of the room. Just remember to tip them.

1. Don't forget to bring a night light or a flash light for the middle of the night trips to the bathroom!

2. It's nice to split up and spend some alone time just by yourself or with your significant other.

3. Bring some suction cups with you, so if you wanted to hang up stuff up.

4. For the women out there, don't forget to bring a magnifying mirror for the bathroom.

5. On vacation, I always bring a couple of chapsticks, 2 combs and a couple cheap pairs of sunglasses. I learned to keep 1 pair of sunglasses, 1 comb and a chapstick in my beach bag. The remaining chapstick, comb and sunglasses go in to either my day bag for excursions or the purse I use at night.

Thank you...I'm still reading and obtaining more great tips. Thanks for sharing!