"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

The best advice I can give you for ANY trip is:

1: Buy a really big SD/memory card for your digital camera. Mine is 16GB and I have used it for many vacations.

2: Buy an extra battery for your camera and keep it charged (remember to charge BOTH batteries every night!!) I cannot tell you how many times I have been snapping random photos for a while because I didn't know something AMAZING was coming...and when it came, my camera died after 2 minutes. :eek: BIG let down!!

3: Make sure you get lots of pictures with YOURSELF in them. I don't care if you HATE the way you look in photos. :o You are not allowed to be "just the cameraman" .....Sometime, 20 years down the line (or 5), you are going to look at these old photos of yourself and think how thin and attractive you look. ;) Believe me. I've always been fat and I will look at old pics of myself and think "I guess I've put on a few. I looked GOOD then-WAY better than I remember looking" hahahaha. Ok seriously though. Take lots of photos of yourself. Traveling SOLO is NO excuse! I have done a lot of solo traveling and I always take photos of myself. All of you with social media profiles know how to do it....just EXTEND YOUR ARM.. try to take the photo from slightly ABOVE eye view to make you look slimmer :p --AND--

3.5: The best trick in the book is to find a couple or a family and OFFER to take their photo together. They almost ALWAYS offer to take yours in return. It's not creepy and everyone comes out ahead.

4. If your camera does video, do it--at least a little. ;) (Again, make sure YOU make a cameo in them--or at the very least NARRATE.)

5. INVEST in a waterproof camera! I bought a pocket-sized waterproof to 10' digital camera that does still and video/HD for like $149 when it was BRAND NEW. Those things have come down in price a little. Mine is a Kodak Playsport. I *love* it.

6. If you can't afford $120-150 for a waterproof camera, you CAN afford $10 for the disposable ones. DO IT. The photos come out SURPRISINGLY REALLY clear and beautiful! We used them while snorkeling at Discovery Cove and our pictures are amazing. For this trip, we actually bought the disposable ones for SCUBA DIVING because they can go much deeper than my Playsport. It's a beginner scuba, so we don't go SUPER deep..so I'm hoping the water will still be clear/light enough for the photos to come out nice. Cross your fingers!

Now as far as packing, WHO CARES. As long as you bring your ID/paperwork, clean underwear, sunscreen, and some deodorant, I promise, you will have a WONDERFUL time :p

I do really like these tips about the SD card and the video camera because I already experienced it once and I hope not to do it again.

Wow, finally got through all these!! Thanks for the tips everyone...17 days until my sailing and I am not feeling "as" overwhelmed as I was about leaving something behind.

I guess my biggest issue I am still confused about is cell phones. Do they work or do they not? Hubby & I both have older phones (no smartphones) and in checking with Verizon our plan includes free international calls & no roaming. We also have unlimited "data" plans for the very limited amount of internet our phone provides. (Very old plan, its my understanding it has now been "grandfathered" to our account since we have had this plan years now but normally not available anymore...one of the reasons we have not yet upgraded to smart phones, we would have to change our plan).

So, do you think we will be able to call/text just to check in with parents & children without huge costs? And if not, will we see those costs on our cruise bill or our monthly Verizon bill? Verizon seems to think we will have no issues what so ever but just wondering what others thought.

Wow, finally got through all these!! Thanks for the tips everyone...17 days until my sailing and I am not feeling "as" overwhelmed as I was about leaving something behind.

I guess my biggest issue I am still confused about is cell phones. Do they work or do they not? Hubby & I both have older phones (no smartphones) and in checking with Verizon our plan includes free international calls & no roaming. We also have unlimited "data" plans for the very limited amount of internet our phone provides. (Very old plan, its my understanding it has now been "grandfathered" to our account since we have had this plan years now but normally not available anymore...one of the reasons we have not yet upgraded to smart phones, we would have to change our plan).

So, do you think we will be able to call/text just to check in with parents & children without huge costs? And if not, will we see those costs on our cruise bill or our monthly Verizon bill? Verizon seems to think we will have no issues what so ever but just wondering what others thought.

I think you better call back and speak with someone else.

I've been with Verizon for over 15 years, and can tell you that unless your phone has an international SIM card it won't work, and you will pay for international calls and data. Period. How much is open for discussion and depends on your plan.

I love reading everyone's must haves and great ideas! We had pages of lists of things to bring-from duct tape and sticky notes to over the door holders and everything in between.

Next time i will pack the same way i pack when i got to a hotel for a long weekend. We didn't need or enjoy lugging around extra luggage for all the STUFF we brought! :D

The top 5 things we will do again (beyond regular basics)

1. We will bring ONE over the door organizer from the dollar tree to toss afterwards. (Not one per person)

2. I will only pack lightweight clothing-cool skirts and sundresses. No need for jeans just in case-and my mom and sis wore all my summer dresses b/c we were always so hot. One pair of leggings and a sweater were fine for cooler parts of the ship.

3. I will bring a huge cup for water. I didn't want to be dorky carrying around my own cup-but there are not many water fountains on the ship and the cups are so tiny you down them in a gulp or two. I was soo jealous of people's water jugs.

4. I WILL order two or three lobster tails and NOT eat my broccolli.

5. I will bring my Kindle everywhere-because it made waits bearable.

To answer your question about phones. We had T-mobile, Sprint and Verizon. All of our phones worked to varying degrees when we were close to Florida. After that it was Roaming or they didn't work at all and the ships fees are outrageous. We did invest in "online time" to use the ship's computers to let family know where we were and how we were doing. (Our ship left Nassau the evening before Hurricane Irene hit-so everyone was nervous for us). My Kindle would sometimes have 3g and sometimes not since it is on a cloud?, but it was slow.

Just remember to have fun!!!!

We have just booked our first ever cruise - and I have spent the weekend reading all the posts - what an amazing thread! We booked a balcony stateroom for a few reasons -

1) first ever cruise and a special occasion for us

2) I am very prone to travel sickness and being able to access fresh air instantly was a big bonus

3) We're suckers for glorious sunrises & sunsets (don't get them too often in Ireland :o)

I am the world's worst packer 'cos I always pack too much - but when you live and travel round Ireland you have to be prepared to dress for 4 seasons in one day! :D This will be one of my major challenges!!

There are some brilliant suggestions & tips here - as I read through I've been copying and pasting the things that caught my eye (don't think I could read the whole thread again! :eek: ) but now that I'm up to date I'll be visiting regularly to check out any new posts!

I now feel more prepared - and definitely excited!

The insulated cups and remembering to bring the binoculars were 2 things that I have particularly noted!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share all your experiences (I was fascinated by the duct tape and the myriad of uses!)

Edited by teecee46

1. I wish I had known about tipping policies - especially that I needed to tip the person who delivered room service with cash because that's not included in the group tip.

2. I wish I'd known how formal nights work. I hadn't found CC, but I had done some research but still knew nothing about dress codes. I tam hankful we cruised on NCL with its free style, and right after that cruise I found CC.

3. I wish I hadn't felt like I had to take an excursion in every port - that sometimes just getting off and wandering around on one's own is enough or that staying on the ship is okay, too, if it's a port that doesn't interest me.

4. I wish I'd known that it's the experience of being on the sea that for me is more important than food or shows or activities. Give me a book, a favorite drink and a place on deck or in front of a window or my balcony if I have a balcony cabin, and I am quite happy.

5. I wish I'd known that I don't have to do it all on one cruise, that there will be others.

Edited by ILoveScotland

I wish I'd known that I don't have to do it all on one cruise, that there will be others.

Having read this thread, that certainly does seem to be the outcome - once you've done one cruise, you want another!

I've read up on the formal nights but I'm still not sure! Don't fancy the tux and ballgown shenanigans but we also wouldn't attend wearing shorts & flip flops - the jury's still out on our doing the "formal" bit!

What ports did you travel to? We are docking at Civitavecchia for Rome and we're not sure whether to go on an excursion (3 hours round trip) as we intend to travel to Rome for a 4 or 5 day city break in the next 6-8 months but maybe would be worth getting a quick overview of the city - really torn on this one! :confused:

I wore a cocktail dress and matching sandals. that's what almost all the women wore, except the once in dressy pants suits or pants/tunic outfits.

No floor length gowns, Most men wore black suits, but there was a scientist on board that wore a tux with bow tie and cummerbund decorated with chemical symbols.

Hi all, quick question!

I've been on plenty of cruises before but my upcoming cruise is going to be the first one where we all have to actually fly to the port, and as checked bags are just so gosh darn expensive these days we will be only be taking carry ons :( I've been reading a lot about people getting slapped with overweight fees, what do you mean by this? If I can get it to fit in an a overhead compartment but it's overweight I will have to pay extra? Thanks in advance, hope it wasn't to silly of a question! :D

Hi all, quick question!

I've been on plenty of cruises before but my upcoming cruise is going to be the first one where we all have to actually fly to the port, and as checked bags are just so gosh darn expensive these days we will be only be taking carry ons :( I've been reading a lot about people getting slapped with overweight fees, what do you mean by this? If I can get it to fit in an a overhead compartment but it's overweight I will have to pay extra? Thanks in advance, hope it wasn't to silly of a question! :D

They don't weigh carry-on bags. The fees apply to checked bags. I took only checked bags for my Allure cruise this May and they were stuffed full. Never had to weight them though.

This is by no means a silly question! It is important to check with your airline about their policy for carry on luggage. There are carriers, Sprint comes immediately to mind, that charge for some carry ons. International flights have different rules than domestic flights. Please view their web site so you don't have to hastily repack at check in! There are also still some carriers that don't charge for checked baggage. Southwest simply doesn't charge, and Delta doesn't charge if you have their credit card, although therae is a imit to the number of free bags.

This is something I would have liked on my first cruise. I kept loosing things inside my "cubby" in the cabin. They were there but I was having trouble finding them with all the other stuff in there. Something like this would be great - it folds flat in your suitcase but folds up when you need it.

Lady's Travel Tray

Since the Concordia I have been taking a large ziplock bag to place passports, money, wallets, etc, before they go into the room safe. (I never leave my wallet in my purse in the cabin. If, God forbid something was to happen, DH or I simply grab the baggie and have the important things with us. This eliminates having to shift through the safe or worry about leaving my purse on board.

Since the Concordia I have been taking a large ziplock bag to place passports, money, wallets, etc, before they go into the room safe. (I never leave my wallet in my purse in the cabin. If, God forbid something was to happen, DH or I simply grab the baggie and have the important things with us. This eliminates having to shift through the safe or worry about leaving my purse on board.

Se4deb....that is a great idea. A ziplock bag! I've cruised quite a bit, but never thought of consolidating my critical items in one bag that will fit in the safe. Will do that on my Oasis cruise in September. Thanks!

Oh, and to respond to the original thread about the 5 things I wish that I'd known prior to my first cruise:

* Don't play "Russian Roulette" with your airline reservations. Head for the port city a day in advance of the cruise, and relax overnight at a nearby hotel. Not so much that you'll miss your ship, but simply to avoid the stress that comes with rushing to the port after your flight. Your restful vacation should begin waaaay before you get on the ship!

* The Welcome Aboard Drink in the cute little souvenir glass is NOT complimentary!

* Unless you're claustrophobic or simply must have a window or balcony.... DON'T be afraid to book an inside cabin. You won't spend much time there anyway, you will save hundreds of dollars, plus you'll have just as much fun.

* Pack a can of Lysol disinfectant spray to sanitize your bed, closet, drawers, and bathroom. It also gives the cabin a much fresher scent, and prevents your clothing from absorbing any "strange" smells.

* If you don't intend to spend extra money at the ship's specialty restaurants, remember that you can eat ALL YOU WANT in the ship's Main Dining Room. You've already paid for it in the cost of your cruise. Mix it up a bit; taste all of the appetizers at one sitting, try 2 different entrees, ask for all of the desserts if you think you can handle it! :D

* Don't play "Russian Roulette" with your airline reservations. Head for the port city a day in advance of the cruise, and relax overnight at a nearby hotel.
I chose to fly into the UK from JFK airport to save a few hundred dollars. I nearly missed the flight when Friday afternoon traffic on the Belt Parkway slowed to about 15 mph and then we were confronted with the mother of all security lines once in the departure terminal. We were flying a day early so we would not have missed the cruise departure but it was still a stressful final hour before boarding.

I still have to develop an adjustment factor for determining how much more it's worth paying not to fly out of JFK on a Friday, but there is something to be said for paying extra, believe me...

i didnt read through all the replies so i hope this isnt a dupe.

take a pair of spare eye glasses. there is nothing worse than being unable too see anything on your vacation. i also take my spare pair of dentures. i never know when mine might decide too make eating impossible. NOT EAT ON A CRUISE--NOT GOING TOO HAPPEN :D.

Great idea for any trip. Or even staying at home

i didnt read through all the replies so i hope this isnt a dupe.

take a pair of spare eye glasses. there is nothing worse than being unable too see anything on your vacation. i also take my spare pair of dentures. i never know when mine might decide too make eating impossible. NOT EAT ON A CRUISE--NOT GOING TOO HAPPEN :D.

Great idea!

I second bringing that old spare set from home. We also brought that fix a crown glue, in case a crown came out also.

You can get by without your favorite *____* but not being able to see or eat would be horrible.

Great idea!

I second bringing that old spare set from home. We also brought that fix a crown glue, in case a crown came out also.

You can get by without your favorite *____* but not being able to see or eat would be horrible.

lets hear it for all of us '' clappers '' that would be stuck with broth on our cruise if something happened :eek:. i will bring the fix a crown also the next time ;)

Having read this thread, that certainly does seem to be the outcome - once you've done one cruise, you want another!

I've read up on the formal nights but I'm still not sure! Don't fancy the tux and ballgown shenanigans but we also wouldn't attend wearing shorts & flip flops - the jury's still out on our doing the "formal" bit!

What ports did you travel to? We are docking at Civitavecchia for Rome and we're not sure whether to go on an excursion (3 hours round trip) as we intend to travel to Rome for a 4 or 5 day city break in the next 6-8 months but maybe would be worth getting a quick overview of the city - really torn on this one! :confused:

Hi we have just returned from our first ever cruise - Independence of the seas - Italian Med - and we docked at Civitavecchia for Rome too. I was a a bit apprehensive about the 3 hour round trip that I'd read about too - but its NOT! When you get off ship and the shuttle drops you at the entrance, there are sales girls selling express train tickets - 1/2 hour each way!! This is the same train RCI use!! The train left at 9.30 and took us to The Vatican Station - a guide walks uou to St Marks Square and arranges to meet you again at 4.00 to walk you back to station for 4.30 return! It was so easy!! We got a hop on/off bus to take us around the sights. A really busy day but well worth it!

:)