Beaches - St Lucia

I have done some research on the beaches but cannot find anything about the amenities. I really need a beach that has sun beds for hire. Can anyone tell me if there is a nice beach near the port (Castries) that would fit this bill and maybe the approx price of taxi.

Thanks

Lounge chairs.

This doesn't help, but when we got off the ship, we "hailed" a cab, and asked him to take us to a nice beach close by. Have no idea WHERE he took us, or what it was called, but we were happy:

166659827JtDQAc_th.jpg

click to enlarge

Sunbeds are the beds you lay on around the pool side or on a beach with a sun umbrella.

What do you call them in America then?

LOL, Okay, I get it. We call them lounge chairs. Sunbeds are tanning booths here! I could not figure out why anyone would want a tanning bed while laying on the beach in St. Lucia!

I know there is a beach between the Pitons, but you have to take a water taxi to get to it. It is supposed to be very nice, gorgeous scenery, and all the amenities you could want.

Take a taxi to Reduit Beach. It's a long sandy beach with a number of hotels stretched along it (with sunbeds for hire) and lots of water activities. There's also a small shopping mall, some local craft stalls and lots of restaurants just behind the beach. It does get busy when cruise ships are in port as it's the main beach in the area, however if you venture a little further up the beach, towards Pigeon Island, you'll find a quieter spot.

Also take a look at St Lucia on the ports of call board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=222

The last several times that we have been to St. Lucia we have gone to an all inclusive resort called The Rendezvous. We have been very happy there. It's all adults, the price is good.....maybe $38 PP....all you can drink, a nice buffet lunch, pool with a swim up bar, an OK beach with lots of lounge chairs. It's about a 5 minute taxi ride from the ship. You can arrange with your taxi driver to come back at a specified time and pick you up. We've been very happy with this place and will go again. It's not crowded and very relaxing.

The last several times that we have been to St. Lucia we have gone to an all inclusive resort called The Rendezvous. We have been very happy there. It's all adults' date=' the price is good.....maybe $38 PP....all you can drink, a nice buffet lunch, pool with a swim up bar, an OK beach with lots of lounge chairs. It's about a 5 minute taxi ride from the ship. You can arrange with your taxi driver to come back at a specified time and pick you up. We've been very happy with this place and will go again. It's not crowded and very relaxing.[/size']

That sounds great! Do you remember if there was snorkeling from the beach? Was the buffet included in the entrance fee?

When I was in St Lucia we just got a cab right there at the pier and told the driver that we wanted to go to a nice beach. I don't know the name of the place but it was a beautiful spot. There were lounge chairs for rent, a restaurant, vendors in case you want to pick up souveniers, and we had a great day there. There was no charge to get in. There were plenty of cabs when it was time to go back to the ship.

That sounds great! Do you remember if there was snorkeling from the beach? Was the buffet included in the entrance fee?

Yes.....I think you can snorkel there. There are other water sports available. And the buffet lunch is included. Google it and check it out. We like it a lot. It's nothing fancy or new, but it is very quiet and relaxing.

The beach between the Pitons is called Jaloise and it is nothing short of paradise. It is definitely worth the drive or water taxi that you take to get there. We went as part of our excursuion with Spenser Ambrose. Spencer has a working relationship with the Jaloise Resort, and he is one of the few people that the resort allows to bring in his clients by car. Everybody else has to arrive by water taxi.

If you would like to get in touch with Spencer, then you can check the St Lucia threads for his e-mail or web address. He also has lots of positive reviews over there, too.

We had previously stayed on St. Lucia so we took a route taxi (private mini van bus ) for $2 per person each way, instead of taking a private taxi, north (about 5 miles) to Rodney Bay. The entry road is just before the community of Gros inlet where Reduit beach is located. You get  route taxis at pull out on main road (John Crompton Hwy) near docks. Ask the driver to let you off at the road going into Reduit Beach. There is a KFC in a strip mall at that intersection. Walk up about a 1/4 mile pass the fancy hotels to the public entrance to the beach or just go through one of the hotels.

Anse Des Pitons the bay between the pitons is at least 20 miles south of Castries and the road going there is winding, hilly and not service well by route taxis so the only option to go there is with a taxi or tour bus.

Be warned that, IMO, St.Lucia taxi and bus drivers are the worst I ever experience in all of my travels and the roads are terrible. I seen some pretty bad accidents on that islands even though we were only there for a week. We had one driver transferring us from the airport in the south to our hotel in the north actually had his van on two wheels only going around a curve. They will pass others on blind curves also.

Thanks for all your replies. We have been to the pitons before as we kept in touch with a st lucian nurse that worked in the Royal Marsden hospital in london. We had a long taxi ride to the pitons and she took us around a beautiful national park and we had drinks on a verandah right above the pitons overlooking the beach. It was really fab but this time we just wish to do a local beach for a bit of r&r.

Sun bed / lounger - laughed at the thought of a tanning booth on a beautiful beach in the middle of the caribbean!!!

Yes.....I think you can snorkel there. There are other water sports available. And the buffet lunch is included. Google it and check it out. We like it a lot. It's nothing fancy or new' date=' but it is very quiet and relaxing.[/size']

Thanks so much for this information! We are thinking this might be something we would like to do. Do you remember how much the taxi ride was from the cruise pier?

The beach between the Pitons is called Jaloise and it is nothing short of paradise. It is definitely worth the drive or water taxi that you take to get there. We went as part of our excursuion with Spenser Ambrose. Spencer has a working relationship with the Jaloise Resort, and he is one of the few people that the resort allows to bring in his clients by car. Everybody else has to arrive by water taxi.

If you would like to get in touch with Spencer, then you can check the St Lucia threads for his e-mail or web address. He also has lots of positive reviews over there, too.

We went to Jaloise and it was beautiful! Not crowded and so neat to swim between the Pitons :). I wish I was there right now!!!

Archived