Stormy Seas Delay Oasis of the Seas' U.S. Arrival

LauraS

What's the source on this information:

The word among shipyard experts in Europe is that the choppy seas may have also caused a problem with some of Oasis' lifeboats. A Royal Caribbean spokesperson did not immediately respond to our request for confirmation and more information.

I haven't been able to find any word on this from any site. Even the usual guys who leak information aren't saying anything. I'm not even sure what kind of problem they could possibly have.

What's the source on this information:

I haven't been able to find any word on this from any site. Even the usual guys who leak information aren't saying anything. I'm not even sure what kind of problem they could possibly have.

WOW....I didn't catch the lifeboat thing as I was zipping thru it before....wonder whats thats all about.....I would be changing that FRI 13th arrival thing right about now...even if it meant coming in at 12:01 am on Sat 14th....heck there is a reason they don't have a 13th deck:eek:

Not to jump to any conclusions on the lifeboat problem....but I went back and started looking at the pix and latest video of Oasis.....those lifeboats sitting extended out completely over the side have a lot of surface area hanging over the water....the bottom surface of them look like they could be rather vulnerable to me in bad seas.......I wonder after seeing the video from Day 6 with the waves crashing over the bow of the ship that some of those forward lifeboats might have taking a beating from waves hitting them.... just a thought.

Not to start an conspiracy theories here but the Carnival Dream will be christened on the 12 in New York City. Maybe they had a little extra motivation in delaying till the 13th to arrive. It's better to steal the spotlight from another ship than have it stolen. It's probably completely unrelated but it is rather ironic.

Not to start an conspiracy theories here but the Carnival Dream will be christened on the 12 in New York City. Maybe they had a little extra motivation in delaying till the 13th to arrive. It's better to steal the spotlight from another ship than have it stolen. It's probably completely unrelated but it is rather ironic.

Good theory.... But with Oasis having to get into Fll to get Central Park completed, I would doubt it.

Funny you should mention a lifeboat issue. This was just posted from the USA today twitter.

CruiseLog Royal Caribbean spokeswoman: Storm damage to Oasis of the Seas lifeboats will not delay inaugural events/maiden voyage.

CruiseLog Royal Caribbean spokeswoman says storm damage to Oasis lifeboats is "minimal," and they will be repaired once ship arrives in Florida.

CruiseLog BREAKING: A Royal Caribbean spokeswoman tells USA TODAY storm in Atlantic has damaged two Oasis of the Seas lifeboats.

Funny you should mention a lifeboat issue. This was just posted from the USA today twitter.

CruiseLog Royal Caribbean spokeswoman: Storm damage to Oasis of the Seas lifeboats will not delay inaugural events/maiden voyage.

CruiseLog Royal Caribbean spokeswoman says storm damage to Oasis lifeboats is "minimal," and they will be repaired once ship arrives in Florida.

CruiseLog BREAKING: A Royal Caribbean spokeswoman tells USA TODAY storm in Atlantic has damaged two Oasis of the Seas lifeboats.

Seems like RCCL was overstating how little impact the storm had on Oasis.

Richard Fain, says Oasis of the Seas has faced peak waves in excess of 60 feet high as it battles its way across the Atlantic.

"The weather has been anything but cooperative," he writes. "In fact, far from diminishing, the storm has gotten worse and they are now facing significant wave heights of up to 35 feet. Some peak waves exceed 60 feet. Nature is certainly impressive."

jj.......

Richard Fain, says Oasis of the Seas has faced peak waves in excess of 60 feet high as it battles its way across the Atlantic.

"The weather has been anything but cooperative," he writes. "In fact, far from diminishing, the storm has gotten worse and they are now facing significant wave heights of up to 35 feet. Some peak waves exceed 60 feet. Nature is certainly impressive."

jj.......

So they are starting to fess up ......the crossing has been more problematic than admitted on Capt Bill's videos.

Not to jump to any conclusions on the lifeboat problem....but I went back and started looking at the pix and latest video of Oasis.....those lifeboats sitting extended out completely over the side have a lot of surface area hanging over the water....the bottom surface of them look like they could be rather vulnerable to me in bad seas.......I wonder after seeing the video from Day 6 with the waves crashing over the bow of the ship that some of those forward lifeboats might have taking a beating from waves hitting them.... just a thought.

Here I found a great pix to show the front lifeboat I am speaking of....I will almost bet those were the damaged lifeboats.

2151489810104385121S600x600Q85.jpg

It appears that the grate just before the front lifeboat was installed as a break......however it is extended to be even with deck 6 balconies which as you can see only extends out half the width of the lifeboats leaving that front boat very exposed.

Lots to do! And this message board has lots of top notch info! Glad I am going on the December 12 sailing!

Hope the bad weather does not cause too many problems!

Been on a few cruises before, this feels like it could be the best one yet!!!!!

All aboard!!!!!!!!!!

It appears that the grate just before the front lifeboat was installed as a break......however it is extended to be even with deck 6 balconies which as you can see only extends out half the width of the lifeboats leaving that front boat very exposed.

Absolutely agree, that grate should have extened to at least the same width as the lifeboats. I am sure it took a beating. After seeing the photo I keep thinking of the video of the wave crashing over the bow of the ship. Was that even a 60' wave,,,,I doubt it. Would you want to be standing on your balcony just above these lifeboats in this kind of storm? My DH who loves a great storm is just daring enough to do it.:eek: Ah how can someone so smart be sooo st....pd

Her course has changed dramatically the last two days....looking for a better crossing.

Now she appears to be headed southwest, parallel to the storm. This will account for the 2 day delay in arrival.

David

Where are you finding anything "live" tracking:confused:

Archived