Fuel Supplement reinstated?

ClimberMom

Did anyone else get the email directing you to the cruise personalizer, where there is an "important message regarding your cruise" which re-states the fuel supplement policy, which says if the price of oil goes above $70/barrel, Princess reserves the right to charge $9/per person/per day.

Message was kind of vague. It's disguised in the new "get excited about your cruise" e-mails Princess just started. It didn't come right out and say we were going to be charged, but oil is $80 right now, so....

Our sailing is on the CB, Dec. 6.

Anyone know about this?

Did anyone else get the email directing you to the cruise personalizer, where there is an "important message regarding your cruise" which re-states the fuel supplement policy, which says if the price of oil goes above $70/barrel, Princess reserves the right to charge $9/per person/per day.

Message was kind of vague. It's disguised in the new "get excited about your cruise" e-mails Princess just started. It didn't come right out and say we were going to be charged, but oil is $80 right now, so....

Anyone know about this?

It further states that due to the economy its not going up at this time.

And yes its been there awhile.

Anyone know about this?

Old news. :( They've had that disclaimer for over a year, maybe a year and a half. All it means is that they could implement it. They have chosen not to so far, so no fuel supplement. But they could at any time so check www.Princess.com for updates.

With the shape of the economy, I believe adding the fuel-supplement now would be counter-productive to Princess's marketing strategies to fill ships. I don't think we'll see it reinstated anytime soon!.

I agree. Even though Princess is filling it's ships much faster than other cruise lines right now, I still think it would be a bad business move to reinstate them, regardless of the price of oil.

At the time we suspended fuel supplements we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

emphasis: mine

Hi Climbermom,

I hope we do not get hit with the fuel supplement!

Slightly off-topic...I haven't received ANY emails from Princess regarding our cruise on CB Dec 6th. I emailed my online travel agent about the new series of emails and she has not replied. Then I called Princess direct, confirmed we do have a reservation ;) and the agent didn't seem to know anything about this new series of emails. First he said "Well you haven't been receiving emails because you have not sailed with us before" then when I explained these were a new series of PRE-cruise emails he said they were probably being sent directly to my TA and she should forward them to me. I've checked my Cruise Personalizer many times to ensure my email address is correct and that the option to recevie emails has been selected. What other news have you read in the emails?

Hi Climbermom,

Slightly off-topic...I haven't received ANY emails from Princess regarding our cruise on CB Dec 6th. I emailed my online travel agent about the new series of emails and she has not replied. Then I called Princess direct, confirmed we do have a reservation ;) and the agent didn't seem to know anything about this new series of emails. First he said "Well you haven't been receiving emails because you have not sailed with us before" then when I explained these were a new series of PRE-cruise emails he said they were probably being sent directly to my TA and she should forward them to me. I've checked my Cruise Personalizer many times to ensure my email address is correct and that the option to recevie emails has been selected. What other news have you read in the emails?

My booking is thru a TA and I am receiving the pre-cruise emails directly from Princess.

Anyone know about this?

I got that email as well and while it confused me at first because I did know all the information I could see(none of it was new) I just decided they were trying to draw my attention to it again.

Hi Climbermom,

If you booked from the Uk then it seems brits are not getting these emails yet. Not sure which country you are in :)

I wonder how close to a sailing date they would impose a fuel supplement surcharge? I guessing it could even happen the day of the cruise.

I believe they can do it anytime they want, including while you're on the cruise (according to the fine print). I don't think they would do that, but they (read: Princess legal dept) have themselves covered for any situation it seems.

Yes a cruise line can and does impose the fuel supplement mid cruise even. We were on a TA Sept. 9/2008 Celebrity and the oil went over $70 for 1 single day and the whole cruise had the supplement. At $9 per person per day it added up. Maybe last year was a better economy hehe.

Perhaps in 2008 they had the supplement and we hoped it would take it off but no such luck.

Archived