Advice - Hotel Queen Mary - Long Beach

David-n-Rita

We just booked three night pre cruise on the Carnival Splendor on the Queen Mary for 9/23-26/10. The rates seemed very reasonable so we booked it but now we are wondering if it was a good choice, it seems so much less that other Long Beach hotels. Has anyone stayed here? Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

We have stayed there several times & love it. I know many people don't, but I just love all the history and ghostly sightings it has. Yes, it is an old ship. Yes, the hallways seem to go up and downhill, but that just adds to the charm of the place for us. The rooms are clean and the ones we have been in, modernized. You can take the water taxi that is nearby or the Passporter bus (free) into Long Beach. And you certainly can't beat the proximity to Carnival's Cruise Terminal. Heck, you can even do early checkin for your cruise at the back of the ship. I know you will probably get some negative comments, but in my opinion, it's an unique experience. Don't forget to take the Ghost Tour.

Thanks for the good and the bad, we want both opinions, which was our reason for posting it. Please keep the comments coming, I appreciate everyone's opinion, especially since we booked a 3 night pre cruise and 1 night post cruise. We booked a more expensive room, with port holes for the 3 days pre cruise, and an inside cabin for the one night post cruise, as we will use that for packing for the plane trip and crashing after a week on the Splendor. Thanks for the tips on the early check in, we will pass that on to others on the roll call. We are platinum so we use VIP checkin but we're sure others will want to know.

I wouldn't have thought to take the ghost tour, but maybe we will and thanks for the tip on the water taxi. We are looking for old world charm and history. Someone commented that the shower hot water was off during certain parts of the day?? Is that something we should ask when we check in? We really don't mind fitting our showers into their schedule although it is nice to know in advance.:p

We just booked three night pre cruise on the Carnival Splendor on the Queen Mary for 9/23-26/10. The rates seemed very reasonable so we booked it but now we are wondering if it was a good choice, it seems so much less that other Long Beach hotels. Has anyone stayed here? Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Forget the question about The Queen Mary!

Why on earth would you want to stay in Long Beach for THREE days before a cruise?!?!:eek:

Long Beach is okay for one day before the cruise, but three?

You're missing three days of LA and LA sightseeing that way!

That's like going to Manhattan, but staying in New Jersey; or going to Chicago, but staying in Indiana!

I'd be more than happy to help you (and your roll call) plan a much better Los Angeles three day experience!

Cancel that Queen Mary/Long Beach reservations and plan to spend your three days in LA!:D

Check this thread/link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1037230

That will give you one specific examples of other places to stay and things to do for three days in LA!

We stayed here last month for two nights pre cruise and found it very interesting. Obviously it is very 'olde worlde' but that is the whole point. You can tell that in her day she was quite something. We enjoyed the whole experience and would stay again. We took the shuttle bus into town and ate at a Greek retaurant. Meal was brilliant. Only snag with the Queen Mary is you can only get a cup of tea at breakfast. For the rest of the day it's coffee or alcohol.

Heck, you can even do early checkin for your cruise at the back of the ship.

Actually, the Carnival early check-in is no longer on the QM, but at some counters set up outside the dome under the new rain/sun shades.

Stayed at the Queen Mary 2 years ago and would never ever stay there again. The rooms were gross and filthy. Last month we stayed at the Marriot Residence Inn which is just down the way from the Queen Mary and we loved that place would stay there again in a second.

I just stayed at the Avia for 2 nights prior to the Splendor. I got great rates, but not sure what they would be when you go. Very nice boutique type hotel. We did pre check in for the Splendor outside the dome, and then went and had brunch at the QM and walked around and took pics. That was fine for me. 3 days might be a bit long.

• 2 weeks later...

We just stayed at the Residence Inn, Long Beach. You can see the Queen Mary from there. They were running a special Snooze and Cruise or something like that on the Marriott web site. The hotel is very nice and clean and ofcourse you get breakfast in the morning.

I stayed on the QM for two nights a couple of years ago (conference at LBCC and I had a car). Room was comfortable and clean. I didn't care about all that ghost stuff, so it wasn't an issue. It wasn't real quiet - the adjacent stateroom doors face each other in small hallways, and there's a large vent in each door. I heard everything from the nextdoor neighbor (some hilarious stuff, too). Also heard relays clicking in an electrical panel in the main hallway at various times in the evening. It was in May, so the weather was comfortable. I was alone on that trip; I'd probably stay again just so DW could experience it.

We've stayed there a couple of times and loved it!

Yes it is old and antiquated, you cannot expect it to be any other way. But there is an ambience not attainable by other places, it's not just a hotel or motel room. I love the patina, the old wood, the old carpets. Sunday Brunch is great, other restaurants are wonderful.

I think 3 nights (or rather, days) might be a bit much to spend on QM do you would need to get away from there a bit...rent a car and drive up to LA for a day.

We've stayed there a couple of times and loved it!

Yes it is old and antiquated, you cannot expect it to be any other way. But there is an ambience not attainable by other places, it's not just a hotel or motel room. I love the patina, the old wood, the old carpets. Sunday Brunch is great, other restaurants are wonderful.

I think 3 nights (or rather, days) might be a bit much to spend on QM do you would need to get away from there a bit...rent a car and drive up to LA for a day.

Thanks for the info, that is just what we are looking for. We are quiet people who don't have to be entertained much and love taking pictures etc. Might head to Catalina Island, one day - we hear the ferry is close.

You can walk to the Catalina Express dock within 1 minute of exiting QM, it's practically on the same property :)

Edit to add the link, you would leave from the Long Beach Queen Mary port:

http://catalinaexpress.com/index.php

OK, edit again, the QM port is for charters according to the website. You would have to leave from the San Pedro or Downtown Long Beach ports, both are fairly close, but it would be a cab ride (I don't know if the hotel has a shuttle or of other transportation).

Catalina for the day is a great idea. It is a wonderful place to visit and perfect for the day. Rent a golf cart and take yourself on a tour of the island, they will give you a map.

The aquarium in Long Beach is also very nice. Take a tour of the Queen Mary. If you are not in to ghosts and such don't pay extra for that part of the tour.

Jen in SoCal

Thanks for the info, that is just what we are looking for. We are quiet people who don't have to be entertained much and love taking pictures etc. Might head to Catalina Island, one day - we hear the ferry is close.

Archived