Help me get to Stockholm from Nynashamn

We (six of us, including my parents) booked the NCL Baltic Capitals cruise about a year ago at ridiculously low prices, and we are beginning to plan the trip. We recently noticed that for Stockholm we are actually docking in Nynashamn, which we have now learned is a fair shake away from Stockholm proper.

I am fairly sure we can figure out how to get to Stockholm on the train. However, my mother saw people on the Amazing Race have trouble with train ticket machines in Sweden and thinks we should go into Stockholm on NCL's buses at a pretty penny.

I am fairly certain the only way I can convince my mother to take the train is if I have fairly explicit instructions on where to catch the train, where to get off, and how to come back (she read somewhere that the return train splits after the first few cars...which didn't help my argument).

Does anyone have any tips or instructions? There are six of us and we want to go to the Vasa Museum.

We (six of us, including my parents) booked the NCL Baltic Capitals cruise about a year ago at ridiculously low prices, and we are beginning to plan the trip. We recently noticed that for Stockholm we are actually docking in Nynashamn, which we have now learned is a fair shake away from Stockholm proper. I am fairly sure we can figure out how to get to Stockholm on the train. However, my mother saw people on the Amazing Race have trouble with train ticket machines in Sweden and thinks we should go into Stockholm on NCL's buses at a pretty penny. I am fairly certain the only way I can convince my mother to take the train is if I have fairly explicit instructions on where to catch the train, where to get off, and how to come back (she read somewhere that the return train splits after the first few cars...which didn't help my argument).

Does anyone have any tips or instructions? There are six of us and we want to go to the Vasa Museum.

From this earlier Cruise Critic posting, you find lots of info. Check:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=228305

Since you got your cruise at a super bargain, you might need to spend a little more than what you ideally desire. YES, that docking at Nynashamn is not best or convenient. Maybe that's why they have marked down the cruise so much? There are so many super great things to see and do in Stockholm. Don't pinch pennies too much that you miss what is so wonderful in this wonderful city, including the Vasa Museum. Here are a couple of sample pictures of the Vasa. It is very unique.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipDetails.jpg

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipBack.jpg

Docking in Nynäshamn is indeed a disadvantage. The last two summers have been good with few or no ships doing this. So I am so sorry to see this port coming back.

First, it is a tender port so you will miss some time on that. Then there is the question about transport, to take an expensive ship’s bus transport or take the commuter train. Both take about an hour to reach Stockholm and another hour to get back. Add time to wait for bus or train.

Going to Nynäshamn also means that you will miss the sail-in through Stockholm Archipelago, a part of a Baltic Cruise I know many find very interesting and beautiful.

I think you should wait till later in the spring to make a decision whether to take the ship’s bus or the train. Now it is a bit early to say anything about the coming timetable, and if it will be necessary to change train somewhere, or stay in a certain part of the train.

So what people have said here was what happened some years ago. Things have changed from one year to the other. Not necessarily the same as during 2010. I am sure we will have reason to come back to this subject several times during the spring.

Is it possible to catch a ho-ho bus or boat anywhere near Nynashamn, or is it necessry to first travel to Stockholm?

Thanks,

Sam

There are no such options from Nynäshamn. It is either the ship's bus transfer or the train to Stockholm. Or of course to take a taxi but that would be expensive.

There are no such options from Nynäshamn. It is either the ship's bus transfer or the train to Stockholm. Or of course to take a taxi but that would be expensive.

Thanks north-bound, but this is not welcome news! :(

I just checked with NCL and they want $50 per person for round-trip transfer - crazy! Do you know if there would be any private operators waiting at the terminal to provide this service? We're a group of 8 and hope to get a much better deal with a private service, as is usually the case at other ports. Or is train the only other reasonable option? Can you estimate the cost of train travel?

Thanks again!

Sam

Docking in Nynäshamn is indeed a disadvantage. The last two summers have been good with few or no ships doing this. So I am so sorry to see this port coming back.

Hi Northbound,

I agree 100%. I am really sorry the cruise lines are taking this route. Before, I think it was only Princess that used Nynashamn, and even they stopped last year, but now I think two or three lines are going to use Nynashamn ... very sad.

As I mentioned in another thread, those of you that are looking at a cruise line for the Baltics should consider if the line is using Nynashamn and calling it Stockholm.

Al

Sammy1. More bad news I am afraid. Don’t expect any private services to be waiting at the ports here in the Baltic area.

As for the train cost the best thing is to buy a 24 hour transport card. Right now it costs SEK 100 per person (60 for people who are 65 or older, and for children). It gives you unlimited travel on public transport within the Stockholm area, which does include the ferry from Slussen to Djurgården.

The situation now is that there are two departures per hour and you would have to change trains once. But there will be a new different timetable in 2010.

This train dimensioned to take local people and unfortunately it can get very crowded on a day when there is a cruise ship in this small city, and there are many passengers who decide to take the train. Earlier years I have read about passengers having to stand all the way to Stockholm.

Hi Al,

Yes I know we have exactly the same opinion on this subject (as on other subjects too - just say ice bar!).

In my mind the cruiselines that are doing this are cheating their passengers in a really bad way. After all, Stockholm is a port where you can sail right into the center of things. And with a beatiful sail-in as an extra bonus.

I would strongly advise you to take the shuttle provided by NCL. We had a very bad experience trying to use public transport last year in Stockholm with overcrowded buses and we nearly missed the ship's departure! It's not worth the stress or the hassle.

ok so there won't be any taxis etc waiting at the port-does anyone know of any private tour guides in the area who would pick up from the port and do a guided tour to Stockholm?

We're interested in hearing about this option too - a private tour or transfer operator. We very much appreciate the info from north-bound and Al, but we've also booked on NCL and have to deal with the situation as best we can. :confused:

Hi Al,

Yes I know we have exactly the same opinion on this subject (as on other subjects too - just say ice bar!).

In my mind the cruiselines that are doing this are cheating their passengers in a really bad way. After all, Stockholm is a port where you can sail right into the center of things. And with a beatiful sail-in as an extra bonus.

I really don't know why the cruise lines don't advertise the sail-in through the archipelago as a "feature". I would put it on the itinerary almost the same as a bonus port of call. I have done it many times and frankly, I never tire of cruising the Stockholm archipelago.

Al

It is also possible to just book a taxi. Stockholm is a port you can do without a guide, so just booking a taxi to take you to Stockholm and then to pick you up at a set time and place for the return to Nynäshamn would save at least some expense.

A taxi that would take 4 people could cost around 850 – 950 Swedish Kronor. A bigger taxi that can take 7 could cost around 1.100 – 1400 Kronor. Prices are one way so for return cost it will be double.

It is also possible to just book a taxi. Stockholm is a port you can do without a guide, so just booking a taxi to take you to Stockholm and then to pick you up at a set time and place for the return to Nynäshamn would save at least some expense.

A taxi that would take 4 people could cost around 850 – 950 Swedish Kronor. A bigger taxi that can take 7 could cost around 1.100 – 1400 Kronor. Prices are one way so for return cost it will be double.

Thanks for the additional info, North-bound. My group of 12 is looking at perhaps such an option, and connecting with a ho-ho bus in Stockholm. So, we've been monitoring this thread for ideas...which is why I occasionally jump in. Are there any particular taxi companies that you might recommend? And would you have their contact info? Also, do you know if any of these companies would have an even larger vehicle, say a mini-bus, that could accomodate 12?

Sam

• 2 months later...

We too are just doing are cruise planning and realised that we do not sail into Stockholm but so far out and that is very disappointing to us as we had planned to go ashore and walk around.

Am going to watch and see if anyone has any good ideas and will also contact NCL and find out more information.:(

We too are just doing are cruise planning and realised that we do not sail into Stockholm but so far out and that is very disappointing to us as we had planned to go ashore and walk around.

Am going to watch and see if anyone has any good ideas and will also contact NCL and find out more information.:(

NCL will be happy to sell you a bus ride into town, in fact, they are counting on it.

My condolences to you, and shame on NCL for adopting this route.

Al

If it makes anyone feel any better. We sailed the Jewel last August and docked at Frihamnen on a Sunday. there are NO public buses that run there on a Sunday and the HoHo boats also weren't there. But, just for us, they sent a convoy of HoHo buses to the dock to help us get into town. Cost About $40 per person. We weren't happy with that situation either, but waht choice did we have. If we had known, we could have tried to reserve a taxi to meet us at the dock, but that also isn't cheap unless you can share with other couples.

Cost aside, we just loved Stockholm and only wish we had more time there.

Cheers

Len

Yes feel a bit let down as NCL have quoted me $40 per person for transport and feel this is far from fair as when we booked the trip (and it is still showing in the brochures) this was the Jewel and sailing directly into Stockholm.

Hi Skallywag,

We're on a different sailing of the NCL Sun than you, but with the same problems. We're being quoted slightly higher than you for transportation to Stockholm...$49pp, but a map is included...I hope the map is worth $9! Another problem we have with this option is that after the loading of passengers on the bus and the travel time, we'll end up with less than 5 hours in Stockholm...we're not happy with that at all. So, we're seriously looking into taking the train. Its a little complicated, but maybe worth the effort. Some people on other Sun roll calls have done a lot of recent research on this option...you should check them out.

Am waiting on a call back from ourbooking agent but he left a message on the phone saying about $40 which I think is well over the top. Will wait for him to contact me again if not will give him a ring on Monday. It would have been so much better to just walk ashore like we planned to do.

Will have a look at one of the other sites as you suggest and see what is going on and see what options we can come up with.

If it makes anyone feel any better. We sailed the Jewel last August and docked at Frihamnen on a Sunday. there are NO public buses that run there on a Sunday and the HoHo boats also weren't there. But, just for us, they sent a convoy of HoHo buses to the dock to help us get into town. Cost About $40 per person. We weren't happy with that situation either, but waht choice did we have. If we had known, we could have tried to reserve a taxi to meet us at the dock, but that also isn't cheap unless you can share with other couples.

Cost aside, we just loved Stockholm and only wish we had more time there.

Cheers

Len

Just to clarify, there is public transport from Frihamnen on Sunday. The long blue busses (#1) run everyday. The bus that would be best for cruisers is bus 76 and goes right to the Vasa museum area and that does not run on Sunday. You can still get there using public transport on Sunday, just have to jump through a couple of hoops.

Al

"just have to jump through a couple of hoops."

Exactly Al. We had printed out the exact way to go via the #1 bus, but it just wasn't easy and we would have to do the same coming back. Since our time in Stockholm was so short, it was just so much easier, to pay the money and have door to door service and know we would be back to the ship on time.

Cheers

Len

Archived