Passport help pleeeeaassee!!!

weddincruizer

Ok, can someone please answer this question (without attaching the federal regulations). I have a group sailing on the Carnival Victory in Jan 2010. I know that this is a closed loop cruise and passports are not required, HOWEVER, there is a nasty little rumor running around the group that in Barbados if you do not have your passport you will not be allowed off of the ship. How true is this?

The answer to your question is on the Carnival Webpage faq's. I saw it the other day and just skimmed it because it doesn't apply to me. I can't remember exactly what it said, but they answer a question about Barbados specifically and it may just be for cruises originating in Barbados but you can check that easily. Is yours out of San Juan or Barbados?

Here's the link: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Barbados.aspx

OP: You said not links to federal regulations, but how about this from Carnival:

What should I consider when booking a cruise to Barbados?spacer.gifHere are a few things to take into consideration when booking your Carnival cruise vacation to Barbados:

• Pre-paid gratuities are required and automatically added at booking;
  • Air supplements, cruise-only transfers and pre/post hotel packages are not offered;
  • The Vacation Protection Plan (VPP) is not offered;
  • Travel Documentation - For those guests who are beginning and ending their trip in Barbados, or are "in transit" (taking a flight at the Grantley Adams International Airport), it is a requirement that you possess a valid passport;
  • Check-in Procedure
    • Guests may check-in after the ship has cleared upon arrival and up to 30 minutes prior to departure.
    • Guests must show the ship security officer their cruise documents and then proceed to the Information Purser's Desk for check-in.

[*]Debarkation - Guests should allow sufficient time for Customs clearance; the recommended out bound air flight should be no earlier than 2:00 PM.

I was about to cut and paste also but

as Traveller noted (or highlighted in red)

the answer for the OP's situation is NO, you do not need a passport and Yes, you can get off the ship for a visit as long as you get back on before it departs.

My theory has always been whenever I leave the USA, I want a passport......if you have any trouble in ANY foreign country....exactly how do you prove you are a US citizen and get help from an embassy....or trade office? They are not that expensive......and it is the BEST form of ID available.

However... you might want to see the requirement for FLYING into Puerto Rico if that is where the ship is leaving from.

Why would you say that? Are you serious or just trying to be funny? As sherex said, Puerto Rico is a US territory (as are the US Virgin Islands, among others). US territory means no passport required. You of course can use your passport as your official gov ID, just like in the states, but it's not required.

However... you might want to see the requirement for FLYING into Puerto Rico if that is where the ship is leaving from.

haven't read thru the posts yet but Puerto Rico is a US territory and you can travel to PR without a passport , so no problem there.

You only need a photo ID to fly to PR as it is a US territory, just like the USVI. No passport or BC required.

Weddincruizer,

I did some checking because a few years back Barbados was trying to require passports. I actually think we had to carry ours off ship but as I said this was many years ago. There is a cruise critic article about this legislation in 2004 and the cruise industry was trying to get waivers.

this is what I found today on the home page of the Barbados travel site. There is a 1'800 number if you want to double check the currency of the info.

It appears ....as a cruise ship visitor ...you do NOT, see the link below

http://www.barbados.org/docs_cruiseships.htm

Intresting note that when we stopped in SanJuan 2 years ago, we were required to carry our passports w/ us for our 4 hour stop over.

I concur w/ many of the above posters, the best thing when you are out of the country is to have a passport. But I can see when traveling w/ a group....and some who many not do any other traveling....the expense of a passport can effect your decision.

I completely agree with having a passport. We've never cruised without ours. They really aren't expensive and when you realize they are good for ten years (adults), annually the cost is minimal. They are entirely worth it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all of the replies. Yes, I am a passport holder and have been for about 15 years. NO I would never leave the country without it, BUT there are some in our party that are simply not able to get passports from some reason or another so it makes it difficult for them.

Why would you say that? Are you serious or just trying to be funny? As sherex said, Puerto Rico is a US territory (as are the US Virgin Islands, among others). US territory means no passport required. You of course can use your passport as your official gov ID, just like in the states, but it's not required.

Just a note--

We were asked for our passports when we flew out of St Thomas last July. Yes, we are US citizens.

I got married in Barbados while on a Southern Caribbean cruise two years ago January 2. We have passports, but they aren't (weren't) required to get off the ship. As someone else noted, this rule only applies if you embark and disembark in Barbados vs. San Juan.

ETA - Make sure you carry a government issued photo ID off the ship though.

Archived