Labadee will not be ready!

DEIx15x8

I will see what I can do about that Carol..... I think Pat might be easier to pursuade than Linda but I am definetly going be checking out how easy it might be to get around for *everyone*. It is an important element for many people......

10/16 sounds like a date.... That is the very date I will be sailing on the NCL Epic for our companies annual conference at sea! Wonder if we will be in port together, though I doubt they would do that!

Nice to hear from you Carol !!!

Even if they use lifeboats to supplement the two or three tenders at Labadee, they still have only two docking spaces at Labadee. Thus there would be a bottleneck at the loading and disembarking point.

I doubt they will use the lifeboats anyway, because I bet they would be claustrophobic to all but the most stouthearted passengers. I know I WOULDN'T ride in the lifeboat just to get to Labadee, as much as I DO want to see all the new attractions.

Anyway, I am still a cockeyed optimist, hoping for the best on Dec 3. I hope the pier rumors are like the six dollar cupcake rumors---just rumors.

Even if they use lifeboats to supplement the two or three tenders at Labadee, they still have only two docking spaces at Labadee. Thus there would be a bottleneck at the loading and disembarking point.

I doubt they will use the lifeboats anyway, because I bet they would be claustrophobic to all but the most stouthearted passengers. I know I WOULDN'T ride in the lifeboat just to get to Labadee, as much as I DO want to see all the new attractions.

Anyway, I am still a cockeyed optimist, hoping for the best on Dec 3. I hope the pier rumors are like the six dollar cupcake rumors---just rumors.

This is absolutely an erroneous report and should be deleted from CC. Oasis is 100% absolutely docking at Labadee.

Hi, the report has been corrected (as noted in post #16). On Royal Caribbean exec said the ship would tender, a top PR person disputed her claim, then checked at "the top" (his words), and determined Oasis will DOCK in Labadee on December 3. Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks,

Dan Askin

Associate Editor

Cruise Critic

I am still not convinced that they will have it ready....especially after just reading this post....if they do it will be by the skin of their teeth....think this is going down the line and no one will know here for sure till we arrive on Dec 3rd. Read the below post and do the timing KEEPING in mind it was reported right here on CC by mimikins, the project mgr of the Labadee pier project, that the concrete would need 2 full weeks to cure. If this is the case the last of that concrete would have to of been poured by Nov 19th....that is definitely behind schedule as it was reported also by mimikins that Oasis would NOT be the first ship to dock at Labadee.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22133683&postcount=14

I was at Labadee last Tuesday (Nov.17th) on Freedom. They had 2 barges working on the last sections of the pier. There was an end concrete column which appeared completed and then between the end and another further in, a middle section to be completed. It appeared this middle section had its underwater part done, as I could see the concrete under the water line but on top there were 2 sections of rebar "boxing" still being worked on. From our balcony, we saw 2 guys inside this boxing working on the inner rebar sections. I am not any type of Engineer but from what I saw, I do not think it wil be done for the 3rd. Doesn't concrete in this environment and with the weight it will need to hold require sufficient time to cure?

RCCL will not be brining Oasis into ports that can not have this ship dock. We are booked on the Sept 2010 cruise and our itinerary has already changed from Labadee to Costa Maya. I am actually happy because I really don't care much for Labadee as I do for the other private islands and we also have not been to Costa Maya yet so that will be nice. With the new ship we will also experience a new port.

Joe

Today, 04:58 PM

mimikens

Blue Ribbon Cruiser Join Date: Mar 2004

Sorry I have been absent. I have been flying all over the Caribbean trying to tie up loose ends. We had hoped that Liberty would be the first to tie up to the pier today, but there was a delay in the last concrete pour (which happened last week). I am flying to Labadee this weekend with RCI Marine Operations to make the official "substantial completion" sign off so that Freedom will be the first to berth at Oasis on Tuesday. I understand there have been rumors that Oasis would tender at Labadee. It is not accurate (as I am still alive). I had to choose a spot in the basin to be buried if the pier was not ready. No pressure!

Emmy - I was in St Thomas when Oasis came in. I did not get to see her arrive in person. I was traveling so much that I didn't get to see her until the Pre-Inaugural this past weekend. The BBQ will still take place. There will also be a specialty restaurant with a more upscale (albeit grilled) menu is offered.

Presently, there are no plans to open Labadee up to other cruise lines, just the sister lines.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am happy to share what I know and am allowed to share. Along with the RCI project manager and team, we have tried to make the construction as unintrusive as possible. I think keeping people informed is helpful in this regard. Although there was no way to build a pier without any effect on the guests, most have been very understanding and excited about the prospect of a pier. On the trip down there last week on the Freedom, the crew and guests were so happy that it would be the last time they would tender at the port.

I am looking forward to meeting all the Critters on the Dec 1 sailing.

This is in the RCCL thread today.

Rick and Deirdra

We signed off on the pier this weekend, and Freedom will be docking on Tuesday and Oasis on Thursday. There was never any intention of tendering at Labadee. If Labadee had not been ready, it would have gone to another port. But Labadee is ready.

Yes, it was by the skin of our teeth. We had the worst winter weather in Labadee. We had issues with concrete. The soils at the site are worse than nay published. So many things that could go wrong, did go wrong. The engineers and contractors worked through many nights, weekend, vacations etc. to make this happen.

Labadee is beautiful, and for those of you who have not been there in a while, you will be surprised at the changes. Hope you enjoy!

Melynne, I never had any doubts since I knew you were handling things.

It will be great seeing you again next week. Aren't you glad you don't have to fight with my luggage this time.:D

No Jan, fighting with your luggage was fun. It is a fond memory. I will see you in a couple of days.

Archived