Hotel at/near FCO

Xoe

Due to booking our air with mileage programs of different airlines, my friend and I have divergent flight schedules to/from FCO for our Med. cruise R/T Civitavecchia next October. We therefore need to book overnight stays at a hotel near the airport both before and after our cruise. We seek clean and cheerful accommodation at a reasonable price; airport shuttle is a plus, but a location with reasonable cab-fare to the airport is okay too.

I've been checking reviews on travel web sites, but haven't yet zeroed in on one. Any advice and reports of your personal experience will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Due to booking our air with mileage programs of different airlines, my friend and I have divergent flight schedules to/from FCO for our Med. cruise R/T Civitavecchia next October. We therefore need to book overnight stays at a hotel near the airport both before and after our cruise. We seek clean and cheerful accommodation at a reasonable price; airport shuttle is a plus, but a location with reasonable cab-fare to the airport is okay too.

I've been checking reviews on travel web sites, but haven't yet zeroed in on one. Any advice and reports of your personal experience will be appreciated.

Thanks!

If go to http://www.booking.com and enter "FCO - Fiumicino" in search box you'll get 9 hotels (including Hilton and Marriott) in a 3 mile (5 km) radius. 10 mile radius returns 58 hotels.

Only FCO hotel I ever stayed at was the Hilton, several times. This hotel is walkable to the terminal through a bridge with moving walkways, and also walkable to the station for the train into central Rome. It has large rooms, an excellent restaurant, sophisticated decor and quite high prices - but my client was paying. You may luck out and find a deal. I don't like to depend on cabs or shuttles when I am staying near an airport - walkable, IMHO, is worth paying extra for.

I've stayed at the Hilton on site at FCO and at the Marriott Courtyard a few miles away. Both were fine, the on-site has obvious benefits but was almost twice the price of the Courtyard (even factoring in the 30 Euro round trip cost for the airport shuttle), so the third time I returned to the Courtyard.

Thanks. Your reports about your stays at the Hilton and Marriott are very helpful.

I see some positive reviews of the Seccy, whose rates are lower. Any reports of personal experiences staying there? If their shuttle is free or reasonable, it might be worth considering, especially with the Euro/dollar exchange rate as it is.

Thanks --

Given that getting from FCO to Civitavecchia is either a fairly expensive cab ride, have you considered staying in Rome near Termini station (which has inexpensive trains to both FCO and C'vecchia). We stayed at http://the-beehive.com/ for two nights, and it was great.

and thanks so much for your recommendation. The difficulty is that my flight arrives FCO late evening on 10/4, and my friend's arrives early that afternoon. We could not get workable flights on the day our cruise ends (10/18), so we both fly home the next day; my friend's flight leaves at 6:00 a.m., mine not until 1:35 p.m.. This led us to the conclusion that hotel stays in or near FCO were the only way we can meet up to share hotel overnights AND the transportation FCO-Civitavecchia.

I just looked at The Beehive's web site, and it looks marvelous. Maybe another trip . . .

With that additional information, it makes even more sense to stay in the area of the airport rather than going into Rome, much as I love Rome.

Given that one of you will be spending more than just an hour or two waiting for the other (or to go to the airport), I'd suggest looking into hotels in Ostia, a seafront town only about ten minutes from the airport. You'll pay less here than at the airport hotels, and there will be something to do for the one who will have hours on their own.

There is a public bus to Lido di Ostia for about 1 Euro, or a cab for around 15 Euro.

Here are three to look at:

A friend has stayed here several times and recommends it: http://www.hotelsirenettaostia.com/en/index.php

An acquantaince has stayed here and recommends it, plus I think it has a free shuttle to and from the airport: http://www.satellitepalacehotel.com/eng/index.html

No one I know has stayed here, but if you're looking for more budget accomodations, a hostel might meet your needs: http://www.litusroma.com/servizien.html

Reading your message has me feeling like I just won the Message Board Lottery! Staying in the Ostia area sounds ideal for our particular circumstances. I've had a look at the web sites, and will soon be talking with my travel buddy about these hotels; most likely we will be staying there next October 4 and 18.

Again, highest praise to the C.C. message boards and their marvelous participants who are so generous with their knowledge and experience.

• 1 month later...

Based on these recommendations, we have booked a pre- and post-cruise night at the Hilton Rome Airport. They are currently having a 50% sale and we were able to book a room (which includes the full breakfast) for $179 per night (Yes, that's $ and not euros).

The question is on the free shuttle. Could someone provide the details on the free shuttle (how often it departs to Rome and how often it returns, how late can you return, etc?

Based on these recommendations, we have booked a pre- and post-cruise night at the Hilton Rome Airport. They are currently having a 50% sale and we were able to book a room (which includes the full breakfast) for $179 per night (Yes, that's $ and not euros).

The question is on the free shuttle. Could someone provide the details on the free shuttle (how often it departs to Rome and how often it returns, how late can you return, etc?

It has been 2 1/2 years since we stayed at the Hilton FCO but I highly recommend it if you need to be near the airport. As I remember the shuttle ran pretty much all day and it took about 40 minutes each way, with the last one leaving Rome around 5:00 pm. However, if you wanted to stay in Rome later, you could get the train or a taxi or driver to take you back to the hotel. Their dinner was also quite nice. BTW I booked them through hotels.com and got a great price as compared to booking directly with the hotel.

We just booked at the Hilton at the airport

We have a very early morning flight out and the shuttles from the Hilton Garden Inn would not be operating yet, forcing us to do a taxi.

Anyway, by the time we number crunched all that the Hilton AT the airport was only 10 euro more...it's worth it to us.

just double check on shuttle times!

$179.very good rate-good for you. We were able to save some time on an early morning Lufthansa flight at FCO. We trained out to FCO after having dinner in Rome and collecting our bags. As we passed by the Lufthansa desk, we asked if they could check us in assign seats etc. They did....it saved us time in the AM..we were told to show up no later than 45 minutes prior to boarding..which we did- and just dropped off our bags. Made a lot of difference on our 6:30AM flight. This was a Schengen(sp) flight though-we we changing in Franfurt for a flight home to Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
Only FCO hotel I ever stayed at was the Hilton, several times. This hotel is walkable to the terminal through a bridge with moving walkways, and also walkable to the station for the train into central Rome. It has large rooms, an excellent restaurant, sophisticated decor and quite high prices - but my client was paying. You may luck out and find a deal. I don't like to depend on cabs or shuttles when I am staying near an airport - walkable, IMHO, is worth paying extra for.

Go with Hilton

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-191501769-nearoid-469186-radius-10-rome_hotels-i-sort-distance

Archived