Making Complaints whilst Onboard

schrodinga

Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone has any info or advice on making complaints whilst onboard a cruise...

I'm currently onboard the Celebrity Solstice and whilst the cruise has been enjoyable I have been upset at the amount of maintanance and repair work being undertaken during daytime hours.

We're staying in a cabin on Deck 12. We purposely booked the cabin as my father has dementia and it would be an easy walk from the cabin to the pool and smoking area, which would mean he could maybe make the journey on his own or with minimal supervision. However work is been undertaken on the floor near the pool at Deck 12, which means that you can't directly access the pool. Instead there have been makeshift diversions in place involving going up one floor walking along and back down (this arrangement changes from day to day) - which for a person with a short term memory impairment is quite confusing. In addition, whilst you 'relax' by the pool you have the constant noise of drilling, sanding and hammering in the background.

There has been alot of other work happening also. Panels being removed, electrics being rewired, wires across the floor and general disarray.

I've never been on a cruise before, so not sure if this is normal. However paying in excess of 4,000GBP for this trip, I feel we shouldn't be inconvienced at all and repairs should take place when the ship is not in operation.

I've raised the matter to Guest Relations, who told me the work would be continuing for another three days (we're already on Day 5 of an 11 night cruise!) I've expressed my displeasure and am waiting on one of the managers to contact me.

Any thoughts or advice on how best to handle this would be gratefully appreciated.

Maintenance does indeed go on all the time. I would suggest if guest relations do not get back to you today you should ask to meet with the Hotel Director as he/she is in charge of your "hotel experience" or alternatively the Chief Housekeeper who is in charge of the impact of maintenance on public spaces.

I am now sure they will be able to stop the maintenance but they may be able to do other things to limit the impact on you and your father

Hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise experience

A

Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone has any info or advice on making complaints whilst onboard a cruise...

I'm currently onboard the Celebrity Solstice and whilst the cruise has been enjoyable I have been upset at the amount of maintanance and repair work being undertaken during daytime hours.

We're staying in a cabin on Deck 12. We purposely booked the cabin as my father has dementia and it would be an easy walk from the cabin to the pool and smoking area, which would mean he could maybe make the journey on his own or with minimal supervision. However work is been undertaken on the floor near the pool at Deck 12, which means that you can't directly access the pool. Instead there have been makeshift diversions in place involving going up one floor walking along and back down (this arrangement changes from day to day) - which for a person with a short term memory impairment is quite confusing. In addition, whilst you 'relax' by the pool you have the constant noise of drilling, sanding and hammering in the background.

There has been alot of other work happening also. Panels being removed, electrics being rewired, wires across the floor and general disarray.

I've never been on a cruise before, so not sure if this is normal. However paying in excess of 4,000GBP for this trip, I feel we shouldn't be inconvienced at all and repairs should take place when the ship is not in operation.

I've raised the matter to Guest Relations, who told me the work would be continuing for another three days (we're already on Day 5 of an 11 night cruise!) I've expressed my displeasure and am waiting on one of the managers to contact me.

Any thoughts or advice on how best to handle this would be gratefully appreciated.

First and foremost, be polite!!!!

Unfortunately, ships are very rarely not in service. They have scheduled dry docks, but those only occur every few years and there are maintenance issues that cannot wait until then.

I understand that it causes an inconvience, however, I would not expect them to stop their work. If you approach customer service in the right way, they may do a little something for you. I suggest you start by letting them know that you are enjoying the cruise overall and then let them know your concerns in a calm, reasonable manner. Good luck.

Unfortunately, ships are very rarely not in service. They have scheduled dry docks, but those only occur every few years and there are maintenance issues that cannot wait until then.

I understand that it causes an inconvience, however, I would not expect them to stop their work. If you approach customer service in the right way, they may do a little something for you. I suggest you start by letting them know that you are enjoying the cruise overall and then let them know your concerns in a calm, reasonable manner. Good luck.

Excellent advice.

You might also ask if there is another cabin available that would be less of an impact on your father getting to the pool area. There may not be, but you never know.

Maintenance is ongoing on ships, sometimes more intrusive than others. It's unfortunate that it has impacted your cruise but it does happen. Maintenance this involved must mean that it required immediate attention.

Hoping you get to chat with someone to explain your situation and that you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Hi there!

No, this is NOT normal. minor maintenance is always ongoing, but hammering and drilling by the pool for a week is highly unusual. You have every justification for a complaint but unfortunately I'm doubtful you'll get a satisfactory response. I can only say try to make the best of your less-than-ideal situation.

I agree with terri23. While maintenance of a ship goes on 24/7 on every cruise on every cruise line, heavy maintenance that requires drilling, sanding and hammering should be done during meal hours and while in port; not when the paying customers want peaceful enjoyment of their holiday at sea.

Please visit with the pursers office and discuss the situation with them so they can have an opportunity to correct the situation to your satisfaction.

You invested 4,000+ Quid, You're entitled to experience the best they have to offer without the noise. They should feel obliged to provide you with some reasonable amelioration.

----

Reminds me of a visit to London we made a while back where we stayed at a super ritzy hotel on Park Lane with a view of Hyde Park. The hotel was lovely, the staff were very nice, but they decided that the area in the interior courtyard needed repairs. The noise was deafening when we checked in. The porter apologized when he noticed our annoyance but said there were no "quiet rooms" to be had. The noise pervaded the entire hotel.

The Concierge offered that the noisy time was between 10:00am and 16:00pm and that the management were strict about the work stopping exactly on schedule.

My issue was that we were paying full tariff and expected to be able to rest up after a long flight (11+ hours overnight). Had we known about the noise, we would have chosen another hotel.

He made arrangements with a nearby hotel for us and gave us the option of transferring to that hotel, or using that hotel as a respite during the day. We opted for the latter because the view was spectacular. We used the alternate hotel three times during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, albeit it was a bit difficult from a logistical standpoint.

The daily fruit basket as a form of recompense that they provided was very nice as well.

Archived