What do you think about unlimited beer and alcohol packages?

What do you think about unlimited beer and alcohol packages (choose all that apply)?  

1,468 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about unlimited beer and alcohol packages (choose all that apply)?

• I love the idea -- it's convenient
    • I love the idea -- it'll save me money
    • I like the idea, but I won't pay what Celebrity's charging!
    • I like the idea, but I don't want to be committed to just beer or just mixed drinks
    • I don't like the idea at all -- it encourages binge drinking
    • I don't drink enough for it to be economical
    • I'm not interested; I don't drink
    • I'll stick with wine and/or soda packages, thanks
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

We sail Regent. Regent always has all inclusive alcohol (and sodas) for the entire cruise. But even though it's technically "all you can drink" I doubt if anybody on the ship ever thinks of it that way. Nobody's sitting around gulping drinks down to make sure they can get their money's worth...and nobody's walking around sloshed because those free drinks encouraged them to drink more.

Instead, the all inclusive alcohol (and sodas) is simply a pleasure because we don't have to stop what we're doing to sign for drinks. No conversations are interrupted and no ambiance is spoiled by someone hovering over us with a pen and paper. With things all inclusive it is more seamless, and gives a feeling of being a guest on the ship instead of that constant annoying nickle and diming to pay for this or that every time we turn around.

Nicely put Texas...Regent is a very nice line. Can't say I've sailed Regent but I would certainly love to. I'm a TA so Maybe I'll look into the all-inclusive side of cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

I would expect bartenders would continue to cut off those seriously inebriated. It's for those that are going to drink a lot anyway. I do not see that it encourages binge drinking if a person weren't already going to go on a bender.

That's what I was wondering about though - I've seen some people getting cut off from buying more drinks - and by the time someone is drunk enough for this to happen they often aren't at their best. Not everyone gets all up in the bartenders face, but more often than not I haven't seen it taken graciously. And this is when people are just prevented from spending extra money, I wonder if the fact they had bought unlimited booze & felt it was coming to them might make the whole situation worse.

The thing I love best at land-based all inclusives is the ability to put my watch and wallet in the safe on arrival, and leave them there for the duration. With how cruise ships nickel and dime you to death on board, that's simply not possible. Yes, the sign and sail cards are convenient. But you are still having to think about prices and tips and yadda yadda yadda. Not nearly so relaxing as paying one price and putting it out of my mind.

I can't speak to lower priced AIs, but those I have been to are not chock full of puking drunks trying to get their money's worth. :rolleyes:

I was searching for a post with someone with experience outside of cruise world. Along with 5 cruises, we have done 5 A/I in Jamaica and 2 in Mexico within the past 4 years. This year we did an A/L in June and a cruise in August. Resorts included places like Beaches and Couple with other solid 3+ - 4 star, pretty decent. None of the drunkenness that some fear was ever present. My friends who do not cruise swear all people do is sit around and gorge them self with food. Unlike over eating, drinking change your personality and therefore many are more conscious of how much they drink. Above all some give way too much credit for the amount and type of booze used.

The price is excessive and only people who were going to drink anyways would go for it. More and more I realize many people who cruise have no idea about the atmosphere at an A/I resort.

That's what I was wondering about though - I've seen some people getting cut off from buying more drinks - and by the time someone is drunk enough for this to happen they often aren't at their best. Not everyone gets all up in the bartenders face, but more often than not I haven't seen it taken graciously. And this is when people are just prevented from spending extra money, I wonder if the fact they had bought unlimited booze & felt it was coming to them might make the whole situation worse.

I almost always sail all-inclusive and I have never seen anybody get sloppy drunk on a cruise, or told they can't drink any more, or get in anybody's face. Never, ever.

Do you suppose this is because we always go on far away and longer trips (South Pacific, Europe) and never the Caribbean or Mexican short cruises? I have heard the short trips attract more of a party crowd - but I can't say since I never tried one. If the drinks were free on a spring break atmosphere type of cruise, then I could see how it might potentially result in some bad behavior.

I don't know - I have never seen anyone cut off on a cruise ship. But I don't spend much time in the lounges. I was thinking more of what I have seen in restaurants or cocktail lounges on land. My post wasn't directed at the cruise lines for which unlimited drinks are included for everyone.

I get tired of sneaking our booze on board....an all-inclusive package is the way to go...the prices that have been quoted are a bit rediculous....We pay for a balcony, do the spa treatments and buy all of the pictures along with the alternative dining. I don't think the cruiseline would lose any money at least while we were on board....We have chosen to go to Maui for a 7 day land vacation becuase our last cruise nickel and dimed us to death....

Hate shilling out every time you sidle up to the bar? Celebrity Cruises has announced that it is introducing unlimited beer and liquor packages onboard its ships. Celebrity's packages are probably the closest alternative to an "open bar" outside of the luxury niche, with liquor packages starting from $51.50 per night ($76 for premium spirits) and beer packages from $34.50 per night.

They should refer to this as the "Lush" package! I know prices are high for individual drinks, but oh my! And how are they going to discourage 'sharing'?

It's a little bit too expensive.

I agree that it might encourage binge drinking to get one's money's worth.

Also agree that a prepaid package based on number of drinks (like a punch card) would be preferable.

Tom

Caribbean Princess Feb/2009

Century Dec/2009

Summit Feb/2010

Summit May/2010

Many people I know have huge bar bills, none of them are lushes or nasty drunk types. Anywhere from $800 and more on a 7nt for a couple, definitely a lot more on our 12nt. Im on the fence about wether a cocktail pkg would work for us or not.

Happy Sailings,

gif_21.gif

CruiseDivaNJ

.......anchor-1-1.png...

[ok, that made me sound like a lush, lol, not my intention. I'm just totally surprised, although Im not sure why. lol)

I get tired of sneaking our booze on board....an all-inclusive package is the way to go...the prices that have been quoted are a bit rediculous....We pay for a balcony, do the spa treatments and buy all of the pictures along with the alternative dining. I don't think the cruiseline would lose any money at least while we were on board....We have chosen to go to Maui for a 7 day land vacation becuase our last cruise nickel and dimed us to death....

I agree that the prices are awfully high; certainly higher than I would ever pay. But the price of alcohol packages is unrelated to what type of cabin someone books or how much they spend on other things onboard or anything else. The price must be the same for the person who books an inside cabin and has no additional expenses except tips as it is for the person who books a balcony cabin and spends thousands onboard on other things. (I intentionally left out suites because that is a whole different kettle of fish (as it were); they often do have special alcohol perks.) That the cruise line wouldn't lose money on you while you were onboard doesn't matter to the issue, IMO.

I have to ask if your Maui land trip was at an all-inclusive or did you have to pay separately for everything? That's rather like most of the mass market cruises, except that a whole range of specific amenities and services (cabin, most meals, some beverages, a range of entertainment and activities, etc.) are included in the base price. We're thrilled that so many things are separately charged because that means we can decide which are worth our money. That's just like we do on land trips.

beachchick

I think it is a great idea! I am completely loyal to the Celebrity line where a rum a coke cost me $6.33 (tip included) which I usually rounded up to $6.50. Their new frozen drink package (margaritas, etc.) is $329.50 for a 14-day cruise. Now I like to have a couple drinks in the afternoon at the pool bar, maybe one with dinner, and then a few at the nightclub. If I buy the frozen drink package, I only have to have 4 drinks a day to make it worth the price. I don't think having 6 or 7 drinks a day is hard to do on a cruise and they are usually spread out over the course of the afternoon and evening (I like to go dancing until after midnight), so I don't think that makes me an alcoholic! I don't even come close to being drunk, especially with the amount of food that one consumes on a cruise! Just my opinion--to each his own. Happy New Year everyone!

• 1 month later...

I am still debating which package to try out, but really, they all seem like a pretty good deal for us. On pool days my husband and I will drink several drinks from 11am to 5pm, let's face it, we're on holidays, away from work, which is our time to be a little more liberal with our beverages!!

Just because we are buying an unlimited drink package does not mean we want to "get our moneys worth" and pass out by the pool everyday, we enjoy the convenience of knowing what are bill is, and knowing we can have our drinks at our leisure, not worrying if we are overspending.

AND NO, we aren't rowdy, drooling, troublemaking drunks as a lot of you have speculated this kind of service would draw. However, one or two drinks per hour isn't an unreasonable amount on sea days, whether it is beer or a vodka/OJ. Which would add up to about 6-12 drinks by the pool. And, on non sea days, we like to enjoy wine with dinner, and cocktails while we watch the shows!

In which case, I think the liquor and beer packages would be a great deal for us. I'm still waiting to find out more details on the wine packages they offer, as I'm a big wine fan, does anyone know what exactly the wine package offers??

I did the premium liquor package on the 12 day Mercury last Dec, plus both of the wine packages. In my view, the wine package is a no-brainer. The selections that they offer are good and your sommelier will help you choose the best one to pair with whatever food you are ordering. My sommelier nailed it every time. You can order whatever you want from the package list, whenever you want it (all day, if you like). When you run through a package you just buy another one. If you're drinking wine anyway, why not get the discount?

I like wine and thought I was reasonably sophisticated about it, but I have to say that I couldn't taste the difference between the Captain's package and the other. Therefore, I recommend going for the low-end package unless you're really particular. Of course, if you are, the ship has a huge selection of the really good stuff that is well beyond package quality.

I won't do the liquor package again. It's priced at exactly the point where, if you get your money's worth, then you've had more than you really wanted, and that's assuming you're a lush (like me). In my case, it was ten Dalwhinnie scotches per day, every day, for 12 continuous days, just to break even. Now, I love my Dalwhinnie, and ten per day on a celebratory weekend is certainly within the realm of reason (for me), but for 12 days straight? :eek: Whoa. Going forward, I'll just stick to the wine packages and order a la carte for the rest. In the end, I believe it's cheaper and more enjoyable since then I'm not limited on what kinds of things I can order.

Hope that helps!

RCOM

P.S. I note that 183 people think the packages are convenient. Actually, they're less convenient than not having a package. You still have to order the conventional way, the waiter still takes your card and you still have to sign a receipt. But in addition, you usually have to point out and sometimes even explain that you have a package and what it means, and you have to make sure that what you want is part of the package.

I am still debating which package to try out, but really, they all seem like a pretty good deal for us. On pool days my husband and I will drink several drinks from 11am to 5pm, let's face it, we're on holidays, away from work, which is our time to be a little more liberal with our beverages!!

Just because we are buying an unlimited drink package does not mean we want to "get our moneys worth" and pass out by the pool everyday, we enjoy the convenience of knowing what are bill is, and knowing we can have our drinks at our leisure, not worrying if we are overspending.

AND NO, we aren't rowdy, drooling, troublemaking drunks as a lot of you have speculated this kind of service would draw. However, one or two drinks per hour isn't an unreasonable amount on sea days, whether it is beer or a vodka/OJ. Which would add up to about 6-12 drinks by the pool. And, on non sea days, we like to enjoy wine with dinner, and cocktails while we watch the shows!

In which case, I think the liquor and beer packages would be a great deal for us. I'm still waiting to find out more details on the wine packages they offer, as I'm a big wine fan, does anyone know what exactly the wine package offers??

• 1 month later...

My husband and I just cruised on celebrity and had the beer and frozen drink package...it was very nice to pre-pay for the entire cruise and at 88/frozen and 120/beer (includes the gratuities) for a 4 day sail I don't think it was over priced. I didn't notice a difference in drinking on this cruise verse other cruises that paid per drink...the options there if you want it but they are not making anyone buy the package...if it works for you buy it, if it doesn’t then don’t..its really that simple.

• 1 year later...

I recently went on my first cruise in April on the Solctice and purchased the premium drink package!! It was very well worth it and will do so again if still offered when i go on my next year!!! Wish others would do this !!! This was the reason I went with Celebrity and had the best time of my life!!!

This is one of the truly bad ideas which achieve world class status. In any gathering there is always a few who want to "get their money's worth". If only 1% out of 2,500, say, passengers relfected that attitude, you would have 25 roaring drunks -- to annoy the others who woke up to realize that the package cost them a lot more than the few drinks they would normally enjoy.

I would never buy such a package -- and I weould never sail on a ship which offered it.

7 drinks over the course of a day is not going to keep me drunk. This just means I can have a glass or two of wine at dinner and then a few cocktails in the afternoon and evening without worrying if I'm accidently charging up a larger bill than I planned on. I like to know what I'm going to pay upfront.

The packages on Celebrity certainly can work out for the right type of person. I guess things were different when this thread started, but the current alcohol packages on Celebrity are not JUST for alcohol. They include NON alcoholic drinks that would otherwise incurr charges. Stuff like soda (canned and fountain), special cofees like cappuccino, better teas, glasses of FRESH squezed juices. Non-alcoholic forzen drinks. stuff like that. If you consider THOSE items, and realize the package is good ALL day and not just at night, it starts to become much more compelling.

Of course, you do have to be someone that DOES like to drink booze. Beer, wine, cocktails. And more than just a glass or two at dinner. You need to be someone who would normally have a glass of wine or a beer with lunch. A bloody mary in the AM with breakfast. A pre-dinner drink. A couple of glasses of wine at dinner. And then some $12 post dinner cocktails. You add that into the fresh squeezed OJ and cappuccino for breakfast, a can of soda at the pool, a big bottle of water to sip on throughout the day and so on... well, it starts to add up.

Really, I think it frees you from worry. Thirsty? For just about ANYTHING? Have it. It's covered.

7 drinks over the course of a day is not going to keep me drunk. This just means I can have a glass or two of wine at dinner and then a few cocktails in the afternoon and evening without worrying if I'm accidently charging up a larger bill than I planned on. I like to know what I'm going to pay upfront.

....and the premium alcohol package includes the non-alcoholic drinks consumed. So the morning coffees in Cova Coffee; non-alcoholic frozen drinks/sodas as well as the cocktails during the day and the bottles of water for shore excursions; taking to the room at night and drinking during the day.

I don't drink much alcohol, didn't get drunk, yet still found the drinks package to be good value.

It didn't make me drink more, but did make me feel more able to try different things knowing it wasn't such a risk cost-wise if I didn't like the choice.

Of the people I noticed at the bars who did appear to have consumed a lot of alcohol (and I only saw this on two occasions over 14 days) it didn't seem to matter whether they were paying per drink or had bought a package. I think it makes a difference that that only one drink can be bought at one time on the package - it allows the serving staff to control the pace of consumption. In addition, they always have that clause in the terms and conditions that they can refuse to serve if they feel it appropriate, package or no package. On the two occasions where it was apparent that individuals were beginning to step over the mark early on in the cruise; it was noticeable that staff went over to them, had a quiet word and there was no problem after that.

Archived