Snacks

AUNTIE24

celle,, I did not call you a liar,, if I meant to call you a liar I think I would have just said "you are a liar",, I do not pretend anything.

I did call you cranky,, and my goodness, you are and you are nit picking at my posts,, i did not use the word "automatically " either,, what is wrong with you?

And why to you keep saying I am" determined not to heed the advice",, I didn't ask for your advice, I stated my experiences,, and I did NOT ask about either New Zealand or Australia, , you totally inserted that .. .

Did people like you in school,, or were you the Hall Montior.. ?

What you said was :"Now I know you made the whole thing up." If that is not saying someone is lying, what is?

Sure, I inserted the information about Australia and New Zealand - as information for everyone. It is wise to know that the regulations for taking food off a ship may differ in different parts of the world.

So far, I have refrained from personal attacks on your character. Please accord me the same courtesy.

Hey, we all play with laws. I speed in zones where I know the limit is only 35...and I go 50. And don't get caught. But some time I will, and I'll have to pay the consequences.

What Celle is stating is absolutely correct, not only for her/his? part of the world, but for LOTS of places. And it is clearly posted on the ship, in the ship's newletter, and on websites where there have been links provided in this thread.

If you don't want to obey the law, fine. Maybe you'll get caught, maybe not. It's your risk. But don't come back here complaining that you were caught, that you were somehow "picked on", or "weren't told". You WERE told. Repeatedly. In most ports, including most ports in the US, it is ILLEGAL to take fresh -- unpackaged, uncommercially wrapped food -- off the ship. It's not the cruise line wanting to lure you back to the ship, it's not "for fun", it's THE LAW. Break the law if you want. Just stop picking on the messenger!!!

oh my,, i didn't realize you had NO sense of humor, and didn't get my post,, too funny. When I said "now I know you made the whole thing up" I was poking fun at your travelling with kids and no snacks,, ha ha,, you are hilarious.. hall monitor right,, LOL

North Carolina-only soda: RC Cola, Cheerwine, or Sundrop (all superior to Coke or Pepsi, at least to a North Carolina palate).

We have RC Cola here in south Louisiana and I agree it is much better than coke and pepsi.

Don't forget duct tape. You can reseal sealed packaging with duct tape. Just one of many uses.

In order to see where you put the snacks, you also need a night light. And in order to hook that up, you need a power strip. And even though it may be confiscated, how can you live without an iron you brought with you. The list, reasons and motives are endless.

Thank you so much for the great belly laugh....oh! too funny!!!!!

I had to hold my door open with my bungie cord to let the laughs out.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a sack of sugar free candy going into Australia and was stopped for that. I was let off without a fine, but there was a big fuss and I lost the candy which had nothing real in it.

I was allowed to keep Halls Sugar Free cough drops. Which also have nothing real in them.

[quote name=pg.;2220873

No' date=' I'm neither cranky, nor making it up. And I am a mother, and I'm not dead yet! ;)

Will you believe this? It is from the New Zealand Government's Biosecurity website, http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

"New Zealand has very strict biosecurity procedures at airports and ports to prevent the introduction of pests and diseases of animals and plants. On arrival, you will be given a Passenger Arrival Card external-link.gif that you will need to fill in before entering New Zealand. This is a legal document. If you break the law by giving false or incorrect declarations it may result in fines or imprisonment. Warning: People failing to declare biosecurity risk goods can receive an instant fine of $200, be fined up to $100,000 and/or face up to five years in prison. Declare or Dispose. If in doubt, ask a bisosecurity inspector.

All food items brought into New Zealand, even the smallest amounts, need to be declared. These items include:

• Meat
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products
  • Dried mushrooms & fungi
  • Honey and honey products
  • Seeds for human consumption and processing into food
  • Nuts, spices, herbs and un-popped popcorn
  • Dried, cooked or preserved fruit and vegetables
  • Fresh fruit or vegetables"

As your plane approaches New Zealand, you will be shown a video which emphasises all this, and which quite clearly states that no airline food is to be taken into NZ.

Since your cookies will almost certainly contain eggs and dairy products, they must be inspected. If they also contain nuts or dried fruits, they will probably be rejected. To allow or refuse admission to certain foodstuffs is at the discretion of the biosecurity staff at the time - it's not a matter of whether or not I am sure.

What I am sure of is that you do not want to argue with these inspectors. They have the law behind them. Actress, Hilary Swank, tried it. She was fined for bringing food (an apple and an orange) off a plane; she contested the fine and ended up by having to pay court costs, as well as the fine.

Our little discussion all began because you said that the laws for bringing food into a country were different if you came off a cruise ship. You implied that it was all a scam, to make you spend money on shore. You followed that up by saying that the sniffer dogs would not care "a rat's patootie" if you brought foodstuff in by air. You were incorrect. I am done tring to explain to you.

to revert to the OP's original question: Yes, you can probably take snacks onto a cruise ship. But you may well not be able to take food from the ship onto shore. Different countries have different rules about this and you have to comply with these rules.

So much for our trip to New Zealand....

Can you bring chips, nuts, crackers, cheese, with you in your checked luggage.:)

If all you people out there would just look at Aunties bio you will see she has posted 6 times. Probably never cruised before and as you can see she is not answering anyone!

She did not ask about fruit. Can you see chips, nuts, crackers, cheese. That is it. The cruise line is not going to open up checked luggage for any of this stuff. That is the question she asked and there is your answer.

I do not recall ever seeing a sign when leaving the ship in a port saying we are not allowed to bring food off the ship. Many times I have taken apples or bananas in my bag when going on a beach excursion. Is this not allowed? They never check your bags getting off the ship, only getting back on.

Then you have NOT been paying attention and your are VERY lucky you were not caught, in some cases there are severe fines. the armed guard with dog by trash can is also a gentle reminder.

It amazes me the people who claim not to know you CANNOT bring unsealed food off a cruise ship in ports. It is in the dailies it is on signs as you leave the ship inside the ship and it is posted at the docks themselves.

To Paul who mentioned perhaps the OP didn't know about all the food on the ship. I know very well how much food is on the ship and what it tends to be and there is nothing on board I consider a snack.

I can usually get something passable as a meal but they do not have common snack food or the ones they have in the cocession shop cost you the national debt to purchase.

It is actually a very good idea to bring packaged foods with you so you CAN take them off with you in port.

We've never been to New Zealand, but agree it's a little protective. Guess why? To protect the ecosystem and agriculture and health of the country.

It's a shame that you won't be taking your trip to New Zealand because they value their country's health. I ask honestly: You really would not visit a country if you aren't allowed to bring food with you, even if that food has been deemed a possible danger to the country you are visiting? In that case, please don't bother to visit California. We have pretty strict laws too. Not quite as strict, but then again, I assume that New Zealand's laws are in place for good reasons because I know first hand what damage can be done by casual smuggling of banned items. Island nations and states must be even more careful because they have closed ecosystems that can be damaged easily.

beachchick

If all you people out there would just look at Aunties bio you will see she has posted 6 times. Probably never cruised before and as you can see she is not answering anyone!

She did not ask about fruit. Can you see chips, nuts, crackers, cheese. That is it. The cruise line is not going to open up checked luggage for any of this stuff. That is the question she asked and there is your answer.

True, she did not ask about fruit. But the answer to the original question is still "it depends on what country/state you are flying into." Some states, islands, and countries have strict laws even about nuts (a big no no some places), cheese (ditto), and crackers/chips.

beachchick

We've never been to New Zealand, but agree it's a little protective. Guess why? To protect the ecosystem and agriculture and health of the country.

It's a shame that you won't be taking your trip to New Zealand because they value their country's health. I ask honestly: You really would not visit a country if you aren't allowed to bring food with you, even if that food has been deemed a possible danger to the country you are visiting? In that case, please don't bother to visit California. We have pretty strict laws too. Not quite as strict, but then again, I assume that New Zealand's laws are in place for good reasons because I know first hand what damage can be done by casual smuggling of banned items. Island nations and states must be even more careful because they have closed ecosystems that can be damaged easily.

beachchick

Thank you, beachchick. As a New Zealander, I can say that you are spot on in explaining NZ's reasons for strict controls on the importation of foodstuffs.

For anyone who is not aware, most of these restrictions are also applied by Australia.

The following link is to a CC discussion on this very subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1089561

Funny ,, those cute little sniffer dogs could give a rats patootie about my cookies when I FLY into a country,, they only seem to care about meat, veg and fruit,( and drugs I guess, LOL) . Have you ever travelled with kids,, NO mom flys 6-12 hours without OPEN snacks in her bag,, and I have never had a problem with open cookies, crackers or cereals when going through any airport yet( haven't been everywhere yet though) .. of course in "cruising" world their always seems to be different rules.

I personally saw a couple in a world of trouble when entering Australia, and they had opened food in their carry on. They were taken to separate room away from everyone else and I could see the local agents tearing apart their luggage. While no mom might not fly without snacks, there are many countries where you could be arrested for bringing those snacks into their country.

oh my,, i didn't realize you had NO sense of humor, and didn't get my post,, too funny. When I said "now I know you made the whole thing up" I was poking fun at your travelling with kids and no snacks,, ha ha,, you are hilarious.. hall monitor right,, LOL

pg - which foreign countries have you flown into? (Not counting the US). I ask this because you don't seem to have much experience in international travel. The question seems to be opened snacks/fruit/food on flights versus opened snacks/fruit/ food during Immigration procedures into or out of a foreign country. Your "Hall monitor" name-calling is just uncalled for and inappropriate. I, personally, don't get your "sense of humor". I'm surprised that some of your posts haven't been pulled.

I'm with celle 100% on this one! NZ was a very important base for the US military during WW II. I've only gotten as far as Fiji (same ag inspections!), but hope to get there some day, as well as Australia. Some posters don't realize that there's a whole world beyond their borders.

We have RC Cola here in south Louisiana and I agree it is much better than coke and pepsi.

When I was a kid, we took the train each summer to visit family in GA and AL. I hated it because it was so hot! (Still can't stand the Southern heat and humidity!). My Grandfather had a small store, so my brother and I had our fill of RC Cola, grape and orange Nehi, and chunky bars! My uncles still have the original coolers and freezers, circa early 50's.

I don't drink much soda, but it is always Diet Coke.

How sad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by celle viewpost.gif

How sad!

No, imsulin.

You've got it wrong. johnfas was the one who said "So much for our trip to New Zealand". (I think it's just the quotes that got screwed up.)

I did not post that.

I live in New Zealand and I have been defending its policies on food importation.

Thanks for supporting me on the rest of it, though! :)

Celle

Quote:

Originally Posted by celle viewpost.gif

How sad!

No, imsulin.

You've got it wrong.

I did not post that.

I live in New Zealand and I have been defending its policies on food importation.

Thanks for supporting me on the rest of it, though! :)

Celle

I know - I figured that out after I posted. Somehow, the copied posts got screwed up. Think it was quoted by johnfas, but got attributed to you. I meant "how sad" anyone would choose not to visit NZ! Anyway, I'm on your side! For several years, I cruised on a 3-masted schooner Captained by Brian Petley, from NZ. Met several NZ and Aussie cruisers

(who introduced me to cossies and Vegemite). On my first trip to Fiji, (Air Pacific), most on the plane were going onward to NZ, and a few to AUS. They talked about renting RVs to do both the North and South islands. (This was in January 2000). Upon arrival in Nadi, Fiji, we had our opened bags of pretzels confiscated. Fine with us! Posters like "pg" do not represent the majority of American and Canadian posters, so please don't feel badly. You live in a beautiful and amazing country (summer to winter), and I hope to visit there some day. I apologize if you think I offended you...think it was a posting glitch. Ta!

I know - I figured that out after I posted. Somehow, the copied posts got screwed up. Think it was quoted by johnfas, but got attributed to you. I meant "how sad" anyone would choose not to visit NZ! Anyway, I'm on your side! For several years, I cruised on a 3-masted schooner Captained by Brian Petley, from NZ. Met several NZ and Aussie cruisers

(who introduced me to cossies and Vegemite). On my first trip to Fiji, (Air Pacific), most on the plane were going onward to NZ, and a few to AUS. They talked about renting RVs to do both the North and South islands. (This was in January 2000). Upon arrival in Nadi, Fiji, we had our opened bags of pretzels confiscated. Fine with us! Posters like "pg" do not represent the majority of American and Canadian posters, so please don't feel badly. You live in a beautiful and amazing country (summer to winter), and I hope to visit there some day. I apologize if you think I offended you...think it was a posting glitch. Ta!

Not offended at all, imsulin!

I figured it was a quoting glitch, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

I'd already concluded (after biting my tongue several times! ;)) that "pg" was not going to learn anything. We've been to the US and Canada and found everyone we met to be most helpful and pleasant.

Hope you do get to NZ some time!

I noticed your next cruise is to Hawaii. I suggest you check the Patters very carefully before you go off the ship into port each day.

I would reiterate what my fellow Californians have said. This state takes agricultural pests very seriously. Anyone over the age of 20 or so will remember the medfly. I don't live in an "agricultural" area per se, but our valley is known for its citrus (we've got a nice bowl of tangerines picked with permission from our neighbor's tree on our counter) for many years, which is shown in the movie "Chinatown."

Sneaking in food when told not to is sure inconsideration to the countries you will be visiting on your cruises. Why not respect the laws?

Not offended at all, imsulin!

I figured it was a quoting glitch, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

I'd already concluded (after biting my tongue several times! ;)) that "pg" was not going to learn anything. We've been to the US and Canada and found everyone we met to be most helpful and pleasant.

Hope you do get to NZ some time!

Thanks, celle! Haven't seen "pg" around for some days, so hope she is enjoying a Happy Holiday! (Perhaps learning some things....like calling someone a "hall monitor"!) Hope you are enjoying a Happy Holiday in NZ as well! Your summer, our winter. I've enjoyed your posts. and envy your travels! So glad you were able to visit our countries, and had a positive experience! Please come back, and I'm sure I'll get to NZ in the next couple of years. Once again, Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Thanks, celle! Haven't seen "pg" around for some days, so hope she is enjoying a Happy Holiday! (Perhaps learning some things....like calling someone a "hall monitor"!) Hope you are enjoying a Happy Holiday in NZ as well! Your summer, our winter. I've enjoyed your posts. and envy your travels! So glad you were able to visit our countries, and had a positive experience! Please come back, and I'm sure I'll get to NZ in the next couple of years. Once again, Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Thanks, imsulin.

We're in the lucky position of having adult kids married and living in the UK (from where I emigrated to NZ in 1968).

DH worked about 80 hours a week for many years and I worked too, and we were frugal, so now we're semi-retired we can afford to go visit our kids in the UK at least once a year, and stop off somewhere interesting along the way each time.

Our February to April holiday next year begins with the South America cruises, which finish in Fort Lauderdale. We're spending a few days in Florida (looking forward to a day trip down to Key West) before flying on to the UK. I'm planning madly and have already got our on-line ESTA approvals.

When our 3 kids were teenagers, we took them out of school for a month (bad parents! :D) and took them to several places in the US. They have been to San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Orlando, Cape Kennedy, New Orleans, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego and Hawaii. They didn't stand a chance! Born to parents with wandering feet, how could they be anything different? They've caught the travel bug, too.

If you do come to NZ, please let us know. DH and I have taken friends and relations on brief tours around the North Island and would be happy to give you some guidance.

Celle

I noticed your next cruise is to Hawaii. I suggest you check the Patters very carefully before you go off the ship into port each day.

I would reiterate what my fellow Californians have said. This state takes agricultural pests very seriously. Anyone over the age of 20 or so will remember the medfly. I don't live in an "agricultural" area per se' date=' but our valley is known for its citrus (we've got a nice bowl of tangerines picked with permission from our neighbor's tree on our counter) for many years, which is shown in the movie "Chinatown."

Sneaking in food when told not to is sure inconsideration to the countries you will be visiting on your cruises. Why not respect the laws?[/quote']

Sorry I joined in on this post. It was just to reiterate the original question that was 'about bringing snacks in her checked luggage on to the ship'. Nowhere did she ask about bringing on to shore or in another country or off the ship. But everyone gets talking and giving advice which is nice but then it gets to the point where people are talking about something that was not even asked. Now as you can see the original poster has not responded to anyone. Why is that...one can only imagine.

As far as my post about not going to New Zealand, that was meant to be tongue in cheek. We would love to go, but currently do not have plans set. But I will take into consideration about not bringing anything in with me. And as far as taking anything to eat off the ship at any port, we never do. Although I have diabetes, I usually only carry glucose tablets for a quick fix if I get an unexpected low. I doubt any government would confiscate them.

I do love reading and posting on CC as you do learn a lot. But this conversation really went overboard (pun intended!). I am sure I will see and talk to some of you around the boards.

But for now I am out!!! Happy Cruising!!

Archived