Snacks

AUNTIE24

You need to look a bit harder. And read your daily cruise newsletter, where it usually is spelled out. If you've never had your bag checked, you've been lucky. I've seen lots of garbage containers at the end of the gangway on shore, with guards standing over them, disposing of food just as you describe.

Some didn't even wait for the garbage containers. This fruit was "ditched" before entering the Customs Building in Bermuda.;)

a92b50cc.jpg

I do not recall ever seeing a sign when leaving the ship in a port saying we are not allowed to bring food off the ship. Many times I have taken apples or bananas in my bag when going on a beach excursion. Is this not allowed? They never check your bags getting off the ship, only getting back on.

Many countries have laws against bringing certain foods in. In our area just yesterday, the inspectors found a pest that could cause millions of dollars of damage if allowed into the state, the entire truckload was turned back from the border

Sometimes there are announcements before anyone goes ashore but most ports are more open and permit pax to bring a lot of things in. Others are very strict, at one port there was an announcement to pax to take NO food ashore in the daily paper, and broadcast. Every woman had to open her purse when they got ashore and if fruit was seen, were pulled aside and asked to dump the entire contents on a table where they confiscated all food that was not prepackeged.

Apples and bananas? Oh dear!

You may have been able to do this on the itineraries you have travelled so far, but please don't try it if you come to Australia or New Zealand.

PS: I don't think Australia and NZ are alone in this. Isn't is forbidden to bring fruit into California?

Yes. States differ in what is required to bring different products in, for example Texas citrus fruit is allowed in trucks sealed by USDA inspectors at the shipping point, not in a private car. At times there are even restrictions on shipping cattle from parts of the state to other parts.

Isn't it amazing the destruction a little pest can do?:confused::eek:

Well it looks like I must go before the firing squad!

I honestly have never seen anyone have their beachbag inspected when leaving the ship in a Caribbean port of call.

I've seen it a few times, and although I don't want to sound like preachy, it is a serious matter.

There can be pests or disease on foods that will not have any natural enemies or predators in that particular region. Those same pests can absolutely decimate a crop or years of crops ---- causing enormous damage to the livelihood and economy of a region. You may have heard of the Asian Long-Horned beetle that came over from China in crates. Same beetle has destroyed thousands, if not millions of trees here in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_long-horned_beetle

Sure - you're going to notice a beetle on your apple, but some pests like the fruit fly are equally dangerous but may not notice them.

So although it seems harmless to throw that apple, banana, pear or bunch of grapes in your bag, it could leave a legacy behind that you wouldn't be proud of.

:)

I do not recall ever seeing a sign when leaving the ship in a port saying we are not allowed to bring food off the ship. Many times I have taken apples or bananas in my bag when going on a beach excursion. Is this not allowed? They never check your bags getting off the ship, only getting back on.

Apples, bananas and other fruits are the WORST things you can take off a ship, and most ports specifically prohibit any passenger from taking off any kind of food, but especially fruits, vegetables and meats, as they can harbor insects or germs that can destroy their local agriculture. It's written in the daily newspaper that you are not allowed to take food off a cruise ship, and on our last cruise the cruise director kept coming on the loudspeaker to say that taking off any kind of food is prohibited. I've been on cruises where local officials were standing with dogs at the end of the gangway looking in any bags and throwing away any food they found. It's just like the agricultural laws we have in the US that says you can bring back a lot of things to the US.

consumed along with a North Carolina-only soda: RC Cola, Cheerwine, or Sundrop (all superior to Coke or Pepsi, at least to a North Carolina palate

As a native North Carolinian and Pepsi lover....Pepsi was born in New Bern, NC... although I would take an ice cold Sundrop in the bottle any day :D

On topic, is there something like a "sundries" shop on board to buy pre-packaged crackers, etc. if needed?

You can buy a few packaged snacks and candy on board--it's pretty pricey though.

I remember now that on one trip to the Bahamas some time ago agents confiscated every form of food, including packaged candy bars and chips, before we got on the ship. I can understand fruits and other unpackaged foods being confiscated, but I figure with all the candy being taken someone's kids were going to have a nice treat that night.

On some of my cruises, there was a big note in the daily newsletter. It could be that the ports you have visited didn't have this issue, but many countries won't allow food to be brought into their country. If you ever come to California, you will see plenty of signs at every stateline that fruit and vegetables are not to be brought in as agriculture is very important to this state and any pests can be devastating.

I respect and know about the laws that do not allow you to take fruit, veg or meat over borders,, but ,, I have never heard of a law against COOKIES from the buffet. That may be something they discourage from doing so you spend money ashore,,, but I have travelled to alot of places,, and open cookies have never been confiscated at any airport I have ever been through. It is strictly a "cruise" thing,, and I do not believe it is a law, nor any fine involved. I have done it before,, and I will do it again.

I respect and know about the laws that do not allow you to take fruit, veg or meat over borders,, but ,, I have never heard of a law against COOKIES from the buffet. That may be something they discourage from doing so you spend money ashore,,, but I have travelled to alot of places,, and open cookies have never been confiscated at any airport I have ever been through. It is strictly a "cruise" thing,, and I do not believe it is a law, nor any fine involved. I have done it before,, and I will do it again.

And I'm willing to bet you haven't been to New Zealand!

While you may be able to bring unopened packets of some types of cookies into NZ (as long as you declare them) you will not be allowed to bring any sort of unsealed foodstuff, such as cookies, from the ship's buffet.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the host country trying to make money off you by forcing you to spend money ashore. It is to protect the country's agriculture industry. And it is a law. And Australia has similar laws.

FYI, anything that goes into your mouth to be eaten is food, and no food can be taken off a cruise ship into New Zealand. Your cookies from the buffet could contain dried fruit, and any sort of fruit is banned, except under tightly controlled import conditions.

However, if you want to insist that you know best, feel free to try it! Those cute little sniffer dogs and the instant fines await you!! :D

I always do. Many islands will not permit you to disembark with food from the ship. If you're doing an excursion that puts you out of reach of food for a long time - like a remote hiking trip - you'll want something to hold you until you can return to the ship. Last time we took the ferry to St. John, I made sandwiches at the breakfast buffet and took them with us. I now know that that is really not allowed. However, I also took along granola bars I'd brought from home. We're visiting a couple of less developed locations on our next cruise and I fully intend to bring along some snack food.

Correct. In most ports it not only is "really not allowed," it is against the law. But no reason at all not to bring snack foods that are prepackaged and sealed (such as the granola bars you mention). We've never been to a Caribbean port that didn't allow the sealed snack items. But that's by no means a comprehensive list as we've stuck with the eastern itineraries.

Some ports do not allow any foods at all, not even sealed snack foods, to be brought off the ship because of agricultural regulations. It might seem silly, but then I remember that even sealed foods can harbor problem pests. We don't necessarily even see them or have any idea. Nuts and cereal grains in particular are an issue for some countries, in addition to the "usual suspects" of fruit, veg, meat, and cheese.

Apples and bananas? Oh dear!

You may have been able to do this on the itineraries you have travelled so far, but please don't try it if you come to Australia or New Zealand.

In this part of the world, we have to be very protective of our agriculture industry, and cannot risk the introduction of "foreign" pests or diseases.

At ports in these 2 countries, you will definitely see signs about not bringing food off the ship and your baggage will, most likely, be inspected by sniffer dogs. Those dogs are good - they will even detect the smell of food, if it you had previously had some in your bag.

Bringing fruit or meat products off the ship is an absolute no-no. Apples or bananas are about the worst thing you could try to bring off the ship.

People who do try to bring food off the ship will have it confiscated and are subject to an instant fine of about $200. No exceptions, no excuses.

PS: I don't think Australia and NZ are alone in this. Isn't is forbidden to bring fruit into California?

Yes, and many vegetables and many plants, especially ones that are known to harbor pests and pathogens that have been invading nearby states. Heck, we even have different quarantine regions within the state to prevent the spread of harmful critters. Also, Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida are three other states with strict agricultural import laws. I'm know there are other states with similar laws and would bet (but am not positive) that any coastal or gulf state would have some restrictions.

I lived through the Med fly disaster of the 1980s. We now live in a rural agricultural area that also happens to be a premier wine region. There are numerous threats that our county and regional agriculture departments are fighting. One pest in particular carries a virus that destroys wine grape vines. That would devistate our local economy. I'm afraid I'm kind of a fanatic on the subject because it has and still does directly affect my life. Anyone who would casually and knowingly smuggle forbidden items anywhere for any reason is incredibly selfish and uncaring of the places they visit. (Off soapbox, for now.)

Well it looks like I must go before the firing squad!

I honestly have never seen anyone have their beachbag inspected when leaving the ship in a Caribbean port of call.

No reason to put you before the firing squad and I think we can skip making you walk the plank. But now that you know, I'm sure you'll pay more attention and, even if you don't find a big announcement in your ship daily or hear admonishments over the loudspeakers or see big signs when you disembark at a port, you will not pack fresh food of any kind to take off the ship unless you have verified that it is allowed. Just because you haven't seen others or had your beachbag inspected doesn't mean that it was legal for you to take fresh food, especially produce of any kind, off the ship.

There are a few ports where you are allowed to bring fresh foods with you, but they are the exception and not the rule, so your best bet is to assume that it is not allowed and bring only sealed prepackaged items (along with bottled water and soda if you like because they are allowed no problem).

beachchick

As others have said, you can't bring onboard...or take off board, fruits and prepared foods. We do, however, always bring along pre-packaged snacks. It's nice to have a salty and sweet snack option in the room late at night without having to put clothes on and make a long trek to find the food. We also buy a coke card, but keep a 6-pack in the fridge in the cabin...also nice to be able to pop a can open rather than trek back to the cabin with a glass of coke with the ice already melting. On the last cruise, it came in handy to have the snacks...as our plane left before we could get something to eat at the airport...and we replaced them in San Juan before boarding the ship. It's just a matter of personal preference. I know that I've paid for the food and I can go and get whatever I want to eat, but I like being able to have options.

And I'm willing to bet you haven't been to New Zealand!

While you may be able to bring unopened packets of some types of cookies into NZ (as long as you declare them) you will not be allowed to bring any sort of unsealed foodstuff, such as cookies, from the ship's buffet.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the host country trying to make money off you by forcing you to spend money ashore. It is to protect the country's agriculture industry. And it is a law. And Australia has similar laws.

FYI, anything that goes into your mouth to be eaten is food, and no food can be taken off a cruise ship into New Zealand. Your cookies from the buffet could contain dried fruit, and any sort of fruit is banned, except under tightly controlled import conditions.

However, if you want to insist that you know best, feel free to try it! Those cute little sniffer dogs and the instant fines await you!! :D

Funny ,, those cute little sniffer dogs could give a rats patootie about my cookies when I FLY into a country,, they only seem to care about meat, veg and fruit,( and drugs I guess, LOL) . Have you ever travelled with kids,, NO mom flys 6-12 hours without OPEN snacks in her bag,, and I have never had a problem with open cookies, crackers or cereals when going through any airport yet( haven't been everywhere yet though) .. of course in "cruising" world their always seems to be different rules.

Funny ,, those cute little sniffer dogs could give a rats patootie about my cookies when I FLY into a country,, they only seem to care about meat, veg and fruit,( and drugs I guess, LOL) . Have you ever travelled with kids,, NO mom flys 6-12 hours without OPEN snacks in her bag,, and I have never had a problem with open cookies, crackers or cereals when going through any airport yet( haven't been everywhere yet though) .. of course in "cruising" world their always seems to be different rules.

I repeat - I don't think you have been through Australia or New Zealand yet on your travels, because you are so opinionated about what you do not know.

Those cute little sniffer dogs will be waiting for you and your cookies at the airport too! The rules are exactly the same, whether you enter the country by air or by cruise ship.

If you declare your precious cookies, you will be OK (although they may be confiscated). If you don't declare them, you are up for an instant fine. For what it's worth, you are not allowed to bring any food off the plane - even the airline's packaged cookies.

Please come here to New Zealand and try it. I'll look forward to hearing you complain afterwards about the "unreasonable" Agriculture officials at the airport. You might care to do a search on these boards - not so long ago, a father was complaining bitterly because he was fined when one of his children brought food off the plane. Try searching the Australia and New Zealand board and you will find several posts discussing bringing/not bringing food into OZ and NZ.

Yes, I'm a mother and I've travelled with kids - three of them - often on flights that are more than 12 hours long, and I've never felt the need to carry snacks for them. Unlike many US airlines, the airlines that service this part of the world actually feed their passengers.

I repeat - I don't think you have been through Australia or New Zealand yet on your travels, because you are so opinionated about what you do not know.

"Those cute little sniffer dogs will be waiting for you and your cookies at the airport too! The rules are exactly the same, whether you enter the country by air or by cruise ship."

'If you declare your precious cookies, you will be OK (although they may be confiscated). If you don't declare them, you are up for an instant fine. For what it's worth, you are not allowed to bring any food off the plane - even the airline's packaged cookies.

'

Why if I declare the cookies they are ok,, are they then suddenly "safe" you aren't too sure yourself if they will or will not be taken,, meaning a set law is not clear?? Your next line contradicts this,, so airline cookies,,even if declared are NOT ok,, but my cookies might be,, if I declare them?? Very confusing down under.. LOL

Hey then ,, you almost had me believing you,, then you mentioned flying with three chidlren for 12 hours plus, and NEVER BRINGING SNACKS,, and now I know you are making it all up,, since I have never met a mom alive who doesn't bring snacks for little ones. Can't count on any airline to have the right biscuits for kids,, or cheerios , or teething cookies.

Why if I declare the cookies they are ok,, are they then suddenly "safe" you aren't too sure yourself if they will or will not be taken,, meaning a set law is not clear?? Your next line contradicts this,, so airline cookies,,even if declared are NOT ok,, but my cookies might be,, if I declare them?? Very confusing down under.. LOL

Hey then ,, you almost had me believing you,, then you mentioned flying with three chidlren for 12 hours plus, and NEVER BRINGING SNACKS,, and now I know you are making it all up,, since I have never met a mom alive who doesn't bring snacks for little ones. Can't count on any airline to have the right biscuits for kids,, or cheerios , or teething cookies.

Ps You are being a bit cranky about this all,, wow,, someones having a bad day,, we are talking about crackers. Give your head a shake,, or go back to bed and get up on the other side.

No, I'm neither cranky, nor making it up. And I am a mother, and I'm not dead yet! ;)

Will you believe this? It is from the New Zealand Government's Biosecurity website, http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

"New Zealand has very strict biosecurity procedures at airports and ports to prevent the introduction of pests and diseases of animals and plants. On arrival, you will be given a Passenger Arrival Card external-link.gif that you will need to fill in before entering New Zealand. This is a legal document. If you break the law by giving false or incorrect declarations it may result in fines or imprisonment. Warning: People failing to declare biosecurity risk goods can receive an instant fine of $200, be fined up to $100,000 and/or face up to five years in prison. Declare or Dispose. If in doubt, ask a bisosecurity inspector.

All food items brought into New Zealand, even the smallest amounts, need to be declared. These items include:

• Meat
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products
  • Dried mushrooms & fungi
  • Honey and honey products
  • Seeds for human consumption and processing into food
  • Nuts, spices, herbs and un-popped popcorn
  • Dried, cooked or preserved fruit and vegetables
  • Fresh fruit or vegetables"

As your plane approaches New Zealand, you will be shown a video which emphasises all this, and which quite clearly states that no airline food is to be taken into NZ.

Since your cookies will almost certainly contain eggs and dairy products, they must be inspected. If they also contain nuts or dried fruits, they will probably be rejected. To allow or refuse admission to certain foodstuffs is at the discretion of the biosecurity staff at the time - it's not a matter of whether or not I am sure.

What I am sure of is that you do not want to argue with these inspectors. They have the law behind them. Actress, Hilary Swank, tried it. She was fined for bringing food (an apple and an orange) off a plane; she contested the fine and ended up by having to pay court costs, as well as the fine.

Our little discussion all began because you said that the laws for bringing food into a country were different if you came off a cruise ship. You implied that it was all a scam, to make you spend money on shore. You followed that up by saying that the sniffer dogs would not care "a rat's patootie" if you brought foodstuff in by air. You were incorrect. I am done tring to explain to you.

to revert to the OP's original question: Yes, you can probably take snacks onto a cruise ship. But you may well not be able to take food from the ship onto shore. Different countries have different rules about this and you have to comply with these rules.

No, I'm neither cranky, nor making it up. And I am a mother, and I'm not dead yet! ;)

Will you believe this? It is from the New Zealand Government's Biosecurity website, http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

"New Zealand has very strict biosecurity procedures at airports and ports to prevent the introduction of pests and diseases of animals and plants. On arrival, you will be given a Passenger Arrival Card external-link.gif that you will need to fill in before entering New Zealand. This is a legal document. If you break the law by giving false or incorrect declarations it may result in fines or imprisonment. Warning: People failing to declare biosecurity risk goods can receive an instant fine of $200, be fined up to $100,000 and/or face up to five years in prison. Declare or Dispose. If in doubt, ask a bisosecurity inspector.

All food items brought into New Zealand, even the smallest amounts, need to be declared. These items include:

• Meat
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products
  • Dried mushrooms & fungi
  • Honey and honey products
  • Seeds for human consumption and processing into food
  • Nuts, spices, herbs and un-popped popcorn
  • Dried, cooked or preserved fruit and vegetables
  • Fresh fruit or vegetables"

As your plane approaches New Zealand, you will be shown a video which emphasises all this, and which quite clearly states that no airline food is to be taken into NZ.

Since your cookies will almost certainly contain eggs and dairy products, they must be inspected. If they also contain nuts or dried fruits, they will probably be rejected. To allow or refuse admission to certain foodstuffs is at the discretion of the biosecurity staff at the time - it's not a matter of whether or not I am sure.

What I am sure of is that you do not want to argue with these inspectors. They have the law behind them. Actress, Hilary Swank, tried it. She was fined for bringing food (an apple and an orange) off a plane; she contested the fine and ended up by having to pay court costs, as well as the fine.

Our little discussion all began because you said that the laws for bringing food into a country were different if you came off a cruise ship. You implied that it was all a scam, to make you spend money on shore. You followed that up by saying that the sniffer dogs would not care "a rat's patootie" if you brought foodstuff in by air. You were incorrect. I am done tring to explain to you.

to revert to the OP's original question: Yes, you can probably take snacks onto a cruise ship. But you may well not be able to take food from the ship onto shore. Different countries have different rules about this and you have to comply with these rules.

so,basically, , cookies are fine,, as long as they don't have nuts in them. And no,,they will not count the eggs in the cookies.

Hilary tried to bring FRUIT in,, way different.

And, I related MY EXPERIENCES, and I did not say I have been everywhere in the world.

AND ,, the way "rules" get changed,, I was told we could bring the little cereal boxes off the ship in Carbbean and Mexico for kids snacks years ago when cruising with small kids.

Celle - People who do not live in agriculturally sensitive areas have no idea about the havoc imported pests can bring.

Here in Southern California we've been malathioned by air many times to eradicate the Med. Fruit Fly. Pain in the backside. Everything had to be covered up, outside animals needed to be brought inside, and the house sealed up tight. This usually happened in the hot months, no windows open and no air conditioning. Afterwards we had to scrub down the kids' swingset even though it was covered. Never realized how sticky Malathion was.

Saw a vector control trap about a month ago on a neighbor's tree.

I actually met the Ag dog in San Diego. He smelled my lemon drops.

On our Pacific NorthWest cruise on the Splendor in June the capers actually stated not to bring food on or off the ship.

so,basically, , cookies are fine,, as long as they don't have nuts in them. And no,,they will not count the eggs in the cookies.

Hilary tried to bring FRUIT in,, way different.

And, I related MY EXPERIENCES, and I did not say I have been everywhere in the world.

AND ,, the way "rules" get changed,, I was told we could bring the little cereal boxes off the ship in Carbbean and Mexico for kids snacks years ago when cruising with small kids.

No. Cookies are not automatically fine. They are only fine if the biosecurity inspectors at your port of entry say they are. They may be fine, if they do not contain nuts or dried fruit.

What you were told about the Caribbean and Mexico may have been true, but that does not mean it will be true for the rest of the world.

New Zealand and Australia's restricition on the importation of foodstuffs are not "rules". They are the law.

There simply are no "rules" on this that apply to the whole of the world. That is why you have to obey the rules of each country you visit.

Hilary Swank would have been dealt with in exactlythe same way if she had brought any sort of prohibited foodstuff in,not just fruit.

Since you seem determined not to heed the advice of people who live in New Zealand, and who have visited NZ and Australia, you will have to find out the hard way, if you ever come here.

So far, you've accused me of lying, and of being confused and cranky. I believe it is against CC's rules to attack a fellow poster. Address the content of the post, not the poster.

celle,, I did not call you a liar,, if I meant to call you a liar I think I would have just said "you are a liar",, I do not pretend anything.

I did call you cranky,, and my goodness, you are and you are nit picking at my posts,, i did not use the word "automatically " either,, what is wrong with you?

And why to you keep saying I am" determined not to heed the advice",, I didn't ask for your advice, I stated my experiences,, and I did NOT ask about either New Zealand or Australia, , you totally inserted that .. .

Did people like you in school,, or were you the Hall Montior.. ?

Archived