Hooly crap Taxi Prices from LAX! Help?

elstephanito

I need to somehow get from LAX to Long Beach for my pre-cruise hotel at the Hilton Long Beach. I looked at a taxi fare calculator and it approximated about $72 for a cab. :eek: I mean, if this is just the way it is then obviously I have to do it, but is there any other (cheaper) way? I looked on the hilton website for any whispering of an airport transfer, but that seemed unlikely...is there any other option?

Many Thanks.

You are correct. Both San Pedro and Long Beach are too far from LAX to have their hotels provide airport shuttles for free. I don't even know of any that shuttle for free from Long Beach airport except for the hotels right at the airport (which is still nearly 10 miles from the port).

You can take a shared shuttle van from LAX to Long Beach for about $18/person if you don't mind stopping 2-3 places on the way. If you are lucky, you will end up with other cruisers also going to Long Beach and have a fairly direct trip. Supershuttle is one of the more popular companies.

Hello,

Use Super Shuttle or Prime Shuttle. They may make stops along the way but the very good (make a reservation over the Internet including the driver's gratuity so that you do not have to negotiate with a taxi driver you arrive at LAX) outweigh the bad. The bad being it mght take longer to arrive in San Pedro or Long Beach. Much less expensive than a taxi.

Also try Express Shuttle which is a hybrid...faster but more expensive.

If you don't mind taking a little more time, and if you can lug your luggage for a few hundred yards, you can use public transportation.

When you get off your flight, proceed to the ground level of your airline terminal. Walk outside (with your luggage) to the outer curb (be careful) that serves the buses for the remote parking lots. Get onto any "Lot C" bus. The bus will go to Lot C. The Metro bus terminal is adjacent (several parallel bus loading zones). Get onto the "Metro Line 232" bus. The fare is nominal (I don't know exactly, but for non-seniors, it's probably something like $1.50 each. It's even cheaper if you're a senior.........like 25 cents. The "end of Line 232 is in downtown Long Beach, at roughly Pine and Broadway. Your hotel is within a couple of blocks, on Ocean Blvd., which is the next street south of Broadway.

Unless you are really cheap, I would not recommend taking so-called "rapid transit" in the LA area. It is slow at best, and taking any amount of luggage is even more difficult. I would just guess that it would take a minimum of 2-3 hours via bus to get from LAX to Long Beach. This is supposed to be a vacation, not an expedition. Take a shuttle!

Unless you are really cheap, I would not recommend taking so-called "rapid transit" in the LA area. It is slow at best, and taking any amount of luggage is even more difficult. I would just guess that it would take a minimum of 2-3 hours via bus to get from LAX to Long Beach. This is supposed to be a vacation, not an expedition. Take a shuttle!

Thanks everyone. Shuttle seems like the best option for me. Though I love public transportation in my hometown I tend to get confused with buses in places I'm not familiar with! I definitely dont mind extra stops if it means being almost half the price!

I would agree. I can't imagine taking luggage on any bus or commuter train in this area. If the vehicle is crowded, the locals (those taking rapid transit because of a lack of personal wheels) would be pretty ticked off at you. Plus, if you're unfamiliar with the LA/LB area, you can risk getting off at the wrong stop -- and in many cases, that can be bad.

Someone mentioned "negoitationing" with a taxi,, aren't taxis metered?? Do they try to rip you off?

For our family of four it does seem a taxi would be cheaper and easier then a shuttle?( kids are 13 and 17 , so I think charged as adults on most shuttle services)

How long is taxi ride usually, we are arriving around 1 pm,, so hopefully no rush hour?

Someone mentioned "negoitationing" with a taxi,, aren't taxis metered?? Do they try to rip you off?

For our family of four it does seem a taxi would be cheaper and easier then a shuttle?( kids are 13 and 17 , so I think charged as adults on most shuttle services)

How long is taxi ride usually, we are arriving around 1 pm,, so hopefully no rush hour?

pg, consider an Xpress Shuttle (also called Execucar)! For $48, you can take up to 5 passengers in a van straight to your hotel, no waiting for other passengers or stops at other people's hotels. Go to SuperShuttle.com and look for the different options. Good luck!

pg,

Frankly, there are some social and political issues involving taxi drivers in Los Angeles that are better left unsaid here. And I do not want to be negative in any way. But after a plane flight and the last minute arrangements/packing that are done in connection with a cruise, the last thing you need is to tell a taxi driver to puton his or her meter and where you are going. Then when you reach your destination, to think about how much the fare is and so on.

You can arrange for your shuttle ride from LAX while at home, including the driver's gratuity and have a document to show the shuttle dispatcher. No looking for money or in your situation a currency exchange.

The way Super Shuttle or Prime Shuttle work is that the first person pays a lot and the others are an add on. And overall the fare is reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest checking out both Supershuttle and Express Shuttle.

BTW, i'm going to disagree - by all means prepay for your service, but I strongly disagree with pre-paying gratuities. A gratuity should be for quality service, and not automatic. I will tip the driver by all means, but in cash after service is rendered - since I can not possibly foresee how the service will be when I prepay.

We usually use SuperShuttle

Last booking below, from SNA John Wayne

A little further than LAX I think?

Adults 2

Children 0

Service Type SHARED RIDE VAN SERVICE (UP TO 7 PASSENGERS IN PARTY)

Airport SNA - ORANGE COUNTY-JOHN WAYNE

Airline FRONTIER AIRLINES

Flight # 0260

Flight Date/Time 4/15/2010 2:29 PM

Fare $46.00

Tip $0.00

Fuel Surcharge $0.00

Total $46.00

pg, consider an Xpress Shuttle (also called Execucar)! For $48, you can take up to 5 passengers in a van straight to your hotel, no waiting for other passengers or stops at other people's hotels. Go to SuperShuttle.com and look for the different options. Good luck!

This seems like a great option. Does it operate the same as the rest of the Super Shuttle options? The only difference is that you are limited to 5 passengers and will not have to wait for other passengers? It seems almost too good to be true that it would be cheaper and more direct.

This seems like a great option. Does it operate the same as the rest of the Super Shuttle options? The only difference is that you are limited to 5 passengers and will not have to wait for other passengers? It seems almost too good to be true that it would be cheaper and more direct.

This is a great option if you have 3 or more passengers. They take 5 passengers in a van not shared with others, no waiting and taken directly to your hotel or the pier. Cost is $48. Tip is extra. Just go to Supershuttle.com and click on fare quote on the book a ride section. Then put in from the airport, LAX, and click on "search hotels and landmarks". I usually stay at Crowne Plaza, San Pedro, so that is what I choose. If you go to the pier, put LA Harbor. You will have options of a shared van ($17 each) or the Business Express Svc. at $48 for up to 5 passengers. A luxury sedan for 4 passengers is $83. When you book the Business Express service, you then call when you go to baggage claim and when you come outside your van awaits you. No waiting for others to fill up the van. My daughter used this service because her plane arrived around midnight and she wanted to go straight to her hotel in San Pedro. So it was slightly more for her and her husband than the shared shuttle service, but no waiting. When the car arrived it wasn't a van, they were upgraded to the luxury sedan. Fine for two people but maybe not for 5! I think you'll be happy with this suggestion. DH and I always use the shared van service but we arrive in the daytime the day before the cruise, so no rush.

Good luck!

Hey, I'm with Jeff - If you're single-baggers like we are, Metro Rail from LAX to LB takes about an hour, it's fun, scenic, you meet interesting people, and it's 2.50 each. As for getting off at the wrong stop - LB is the end of the line.

Archived