What time to be back on ship???

uneamie

I've cruised on NCL once about 5 years ago but do not recall the allowance of time one has to be back onboard in each port. The reason I ask is because I just signed in onto my account with NCL and brough up our itinerary. At the bottom of it is said: "Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing."

This seems a bit extreme considering some ports are very short. I think we are in Tortola from 8 am to 1 pm...would seem hardly worth leaving the ship if we have to be back on board by 11 am before sailing from that port. I am confused by this.

My question is: what is the time limit to be back on board before sailing from ports?

Hi,

The "2 hours" policy applies to the initial embarkation time at the beginning of the cruise. You only need to be back aboard ship 30-minutes before sailing from each port of call (of course, earlier is better than later ;) ).

Thanks for that info....it's been awhile since we did this and I thought perhaps there were some "new rules" due to security. I am relieved that it's only a "30 minute" window in stead of 2 hours. :)

Thanks for that info....it's been awhile since we did this and I thought perhaps there were some "new rules" due to security. I am relieved that it's only a "30 minute" window in stead of 2 hours. :)

I don't recall if NCL posted 30 or 60 minutes as you left the ship. From a practical stand point, people were sashaying up to the ship 5 minutes before the posted sailing time, and they got on with no apparent problems.

This confusion about when to be back onboard is entirely NCL's fault for disseminating misleading information in their literature and on their web site. On NCL's own web site, under the itineraries for each ship, there is standard boilerplate language letting passengers know what their policies are:

"Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing."

Unfortunately, anybody reading this could easily be misled to believe that the disembarkation referred to is the disembarkation at each port of call. That is NOT the case. This statement is meant to apply to disembarkation at the end of the cruise.

The second statement is also badly misleading because it could be misread to mean, again, that passengers need to be onboard 2 hours before sailing in every port of call. That is NOT the case. The second statement refers to being onboard on embarkation day.

I really wish NCL would reword these statements and make it crystal clear what they are referring to.

More specifically, to answer the OP's question, I agree with the other posters who say that 30 minutes prior to sailing is the customary, recommended deadline for being back onboard.

I completely believed the return to the ship two hours before. I could feel I have wasted hundreds of hours planning or I prefer to say thank you very much for allowing me to adapt my plans and get more out of the short stays.

Would it be equally right to presume that port disembarkation would also be quicker than the stated two hours. We will be on The Norwegian Jade visiting Rome, Athens, Izmir, Alex and Valletta. If we could sneak a couple of extra hours at each port I'd be delirious.

Cheers Steve

This confusion about when to be back onboard is entirely NCL's fault for disseminating misleading information in their literature and on their web site. On NCL's own web site, under the itineraries for each ship, there is standard boilerplate language letting passengers know what their policies are:

"Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing."

Unfortunately, anybody reading this could easily be misled to believe that the disembarkation referred to is the disembarkation at each port of call. That is NOT the case. This statement is meant to apply to disembarkation at the end of the cruise.

The second statement is also badly misleading because it could be misread to mean, again, that passengers need to be onboard 2 hours before sailing in every port of call. That is NOT the case. The second statement refers to being onboard on embarkation day.

I really wish NCL would reword these statements and make it crystal clear what they are referring to.

More specifically, to answer the OP's question, I agree with the other posters who say that 30 minutes prior to sailing is the customary, recommended deadline for being back onboard.

Yes I agree....they need to be more specific. But as someone said, they post the time to be back on board when you exit the ship so that helps. 2 hours sounded way tooo long...especially for short port visits so I am relieved it's only for when leaving home port.

Archived