Looking for alternative to Carnival...

YorkieMommyKandis

My DH and I just got back from a five day cruise on the Carnival Fascination. This was our second cruise, our first being on the Carnival Sensation. We were unfortunately not as happy with this cruise as we were our first. We still had a great time, but we both want to look for a little more in our next cruise.

We found the ship to be a little run down and also dirty at times, especially in the bathrooms, which I visit frequently, due to a medical issue. Every time I went to the public bathrooms, they were never clean. There were times when it reeked strongly of urine and another time when there was feces all over the side of the toilet. I had been told by a family member that Carnival was "dirty" but did not notice anything like this on the Sensation. However, the Fascination has changed my mind.

We were also pretty unhappy with the food. The buffet selection was limited, and you were lucky if it was hot. It was just sloppy looking food like something you would find at Ryan's. The sandwiches/pizza at the back of the ship were pretty good but got old. Most of the desserts also had some kind of weird flair to them. My idea of a good dessert would be something like you would find at the Bogart's cafe, but then you had to pay extra for those. The dining room food also seemed to be better on our last cruise. We bought the coke cards, and we had to search for the bar waiter and try very hard to make eye contact with him just so we could get a refill on our drinks.

Entertainment during the sea days was also lacking. We need more to do than silly trivia games. It wasn't even worth getting out of bed for.

I'm debating on switching from Carnival to another cruise line such as Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Princess. I realize that the Fascination is a smaller ship, so there may be more entertainment on a bigger Carnival ship. However, I'm concerned that the service/food would still be the same old thing.

Maybe this was just a bad cruise, I dunno, because our first was great. On a positive note, Half Moon Cay was paradise, as was Atlantis (we booked the dolphin/aquaventure excursion). We also really loved the comedy show featuring Tony Esposito. We had a very nice group of four other couples that we sat with at dinner, that we had a great time getting to know.

I just think that we could do better next time, so I'm looking for some help as far as what to pick.

Thanks! I am leaning toward Royal Caribbean because they sound like they still have a "young" atmosphere but with a nicer feel. One of the people we dined with had cruised with them before and she said that they do have better cuts of meat and better service. My sister also recommends this cruise line. I just need to decide so I can hurry up and start planning our next one...it is the only way to beat the depression from our vacation being over!!

We really like Royal Caribean but also like Princess. Although we also like the newer Carnival Conquest class ships. The Fasination is one of the much older Carnval ships and it must show its age. We were on the Glory three times this fall and were impressed with how good ALL the beef was and it was spotless everywhere.

Please, look at my signature in relationship to the cruises I've taken.

I used to be a loyal Carnival cruiser. I understand exactly what it is you're saying. Carnival is fine if you take one of their newer ships. They fail to maintain their older ships. Torn up carpet on the mini-golf greens, septic smells in the lower decks, massively deferred maintenance issues everywhere.

A few years ago, I took my first cruise on RCL. I sailed on Adventure of the Seas - not a new ship by any means, but she SEEMED new.

Price difference between the two lines is minimal and I've noticed that RCL generally drops pricing more than Carnival does as you approach sail date. You can negotiate the lower price! If they publish a lower price than you paid, you just call them (assuming it was not a SALE price pertaining to NEW BOOKINGS ONLY), and they will automatically honor the lower price.

The other thing I prefer about RCL is that they have a lot more passenger-focused activities. RCL markets to an active passenger - note the rock climbing wall, in-line skating, ice skating, etc. I've NEVER been bored on an RCL ship. I did find myself bored sometimes on sea days on Carnival.

I absolutely recommend you give RCl a try. Take it from a former Carnival loyal cruiser - you will NOT be disappointed!!

My DH and I just got back from a five day cruise on the Carnival Fascination. This was our second cruise, our first being on the Carnival Sensation. We were unfortunately not as happy with this cruise as we were our first. We still had a great time, but we both want to look for a little more in our next cruise.

We found the ship to be a little run down and also dirty at times, especially in the bathrooms, which I visit frequently, due to a medical issue. Every time I went to the public bathrooms, they were never clean. There were times when it reeked strongly of urine and another time when there was feces all over the side of the toilet. I had been told by a family member that Carnival was "dirty" but did not notice anything like this on the Sensation. However, the Fascination has changed my mind.

We were also pretty unhappy with the food. The buffet selection was limited, and you were lucky if it was hot. It was just sloppy looking food like something you would find at Ryan's. The sandwiches/pizza at the back of the ship were pretty good but got old. Most of the desserts also had some kind of weird flair to them. My idea of a good dessert would be something like you would find at the Bogart's cafe, but then you had to pay extra for those. The dining room food also seemed to be better on our last cruise. We bought the coke cards, and we had to search for the bar waiter and try very hard to make eye contact with him just so we could get a refill on our drinks.

Entertainment during the sea days was also lacking. We need more to do than silly trivia games. It wasn't even worth getting out of bed for.

I'm debating on switching from Carnival to another cruise line such as Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Princess. I realize that the Fascination is a smaller ship, so there may be more entertainment on a bigger Carnival ship. However, I'm concerned that the service/food would still be the same old thing.

Maybe this was just a bad cruise, I dunno, because our first was great. On a positive note, Half Moon Cay was paradise, as was Atlantis (we booked the dolphin/aquaventure excursion). We also really loved the comedy show featuring Tony Esposito. We had a very nice group of four other couples that we sat with at dinner, that we had a great time getting to know.

I just think that we could do better next time, so I'm looking for some help as far as what to pick.

I think most people enjoy their first cruise no matter what the line. We like to cruise different ones. We are going on our first RC and have sailed Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. Carnival our lest fav, and Princess so far our fav. We enjoy there anytime dining option. Celebrity is certainly nice but was a bit more formal. Although they may have changed the last 2 years, I would certainly cruise them again. Try another and never be true to one line...:D

Sometimes a ship gets to look rundown because she has an officer not inspiring the crew to keep up the ship. Did you complain about the state of the public restrooms while onboard?

RCCL definitely does have nicer ships than Carnival. I'm not so sure that their food is a step up (or even sideways), but that is a personal taste.

Having been on new and old ships in various stages of upkeep, ships do not HAVE to be old and rundown just because they are 20 or 30 years old. Just like old cars, houses paintings, they require care and attention. The Captain sets the mood and HM sets the standard in the hotel aspect.

I really enjoyed our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess (CB) this past summer. In fact we're going on another cruise with Princess next summer on the Emerald this time. There are people of all ages. The food was wonderful and elegant. I liked the International Cafe. The only downfall for us was the entertainment. It wasn't bad or anything, but it just didn't seem to last very long and venues were crowded at times. I do recommend trying Princess. The ships are beautiful.

I'd like to try Celebrity and Royal Caribbean someday.

I really enjoyed our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess (CB) this past summer. In fact we're going on another cruise with Princess next summer on the Emerald this time. There are people of all ages. The food was wonderful and elegant. I liked the International Cafe. The only downfall for us was the entertainment. It wasn't bad or anything, but it just didn't seem to last very long and venues were crowded at times. I do recommend trying Princess. The ships are beautiful.

I'd like to try Celebrity and Royal Caribbean someday.

We have been on the Caribbean Princess twice and would go again in a heartbeat. Just love that ship. :)

So far, we've been on 7 different lines and Carnival was our least favorite. We were on an older ship as well, thank goodness we'd cruised several times before because if it had been our first, I doubt we would have ever cruised again.

I'd say to keep trying different lines, don't just stick to one! We've cruised RCI a number of times and have always had a great time. NCL twice (same ship) first time it was great, second time we could see a lot of wear and tear in merely 4 years, so do choose a newer ship if you decide to try them. We've cruised Celebrity, Disney, QM2, all of them comparable with QM2 and Disney being the most beautiful ships.

We're going to try a Princess cruise in a little more than a year and have interest in trying both HAL and MSC in the future. If we can ever afford it, Oceania and Azamara are on the list as well.

Archived