AZ Caribbean cruises-why 2 days at St. Barts?

susiesan

I'm contemplating a Caribbean cruise with AZ next year or early 2011. I see that almost all of their 12 day itineraries spend 2 full days at St. Barts. It's a small island and there is not a lot to do there. It's also very expensive as it uses the euro and attracts the Hollywood and jet set crowd to stay at resorts there. So everything is upscale and pricey compared to other islands.

Why would AZ spend 2 days there instead of another day at another island? If you look at O's Caribbean itineraries which are almost identical, they do not do this. Anyone who's done this itinerary have any insights?

Hi Susiesan,

That's exactly in line with what they said they would do... a month ago, Captain Karlsson announced that as of 2010-2011, the itineraries would be reviewed to include more overnights, more 'exclusive' ports, and that they would try to have more 'theme' cruises, like a few days in Cannes for the Film Festival or Monaco during F1 etc. So 2 days in St-Barts with the Hollywood Jet Set seems in line with that! I guess we'll find out all about it tomorrow at the Big Announcement!

MC

It's wonderful that it would spend 2 days there - it's a great place. I think you'll find Azamara often spends one night, or sometimes two, at various destinations they visit and that is wonderful, also. It gives you more time to explore places and get much more feel of what a city or country is like. The ship is your hotel and you can go on and off at will.

I can see AZ overnighting in ports in Europe where there is so much history to see and do in places like Sorrento, Venice, Rome. But St. Barts? Of all the Caribbean islands to overnight at there are many that are far more interesting with many activities. All of the Caribbean islands have great beaches.

The O 12 day Caribbean cruise has 8 ports, 3 sea days. The AZ has 6 ports, 4 sea days. Since I go to the Caribbean for the ports I may go with O this time. Besides, it is $388 less pp for the same cabin, 4035 inside. I'll wait and see what AZ has to say tomorrow.

You might not say that after you've seen St. Barths - its like the French Riviera. I would love to do that cruise and with the night there, spend it at a local hotel, maybe on the beach by St. Jeans. (I believe that's what it's called.)

• 10 months later...
You might not say that after you've seen St. Barths - its like the French Riviera. I would love to do that cruise and with the night there, spend it at a local hotel, maybe on the beach by St. Jeans. (I believe that's what it's called.)

Thinking about a Journey/Caribbean cruise in March - my question is if you don't overnight at a local hotel, what is available for nightlife or entertainment in St. Barts?

It is a very interesting and very easy drive around the island, there is basically one road. Excellent shops and small restaurants in villages all along the coast, from small cafes to 5 star hotels that welcome "passants" for lunch.

Grand Saline is one of our favorite beaches in the Caribbean. Never crowded, beautiful sand and usually nice large waves. Unmercifully hot at noon, with no shade alas, so we go in the morning, then hop in the car and go exploring. You get around the island, stopping as often as you want to, and back to St Jean in time for afternoon cocktails.

When you are planning your day, be aware that most of the shops close for siesta.

The evening in St Barths is about leisurely fine dining and a quiet stroll through the town, although if you want to dance the night away, there are always a few boites vying to be this years' "hot" club.

In St Barths you feel safe at night, which you can't say for most of the islands.

Archived