Dream - Cancelling stop in San Juan

Tom-n-Cheryl

RCCL developed the dock.

"The ironic part of this is that the port was actually developed jointly by the government of Puerto Rico and Royal Caribbean.”"

"The pier in question, originally built in partnership between Royal Caribbean and the government of Puerto Rico, has been a source of contention between the two entities. Royal Caribbean invested in the improvements and expansion of the port’s facilities, expecting to be reimbursed by the government.

In the meantime, while Royal Caribbean developed the new port facilities, the cruise industry rapidly evolved into the mega cruise ship business by building larger ships with greater passenger capacity as in the case of Royal Caribbean’s new Oasis of the Seas, set to begin plying Caribbean waters later this month.

Even the Oasis of the Seas won’t be able to dock in Puerto Rico because the structure on the dock."

Yes and again since the Oasis is not even scheduled to port there (at least according to their schedule)what does that have to do with anything:confused:

Carnival screwed up but at least this is not one of their regular scheduled ports.......

I just got a chance to get back to this thread and found that we had an answer. It looks like Carnival needed to fall on their sword on this one. They surely are to blame for not investigating more closely.

That's quite an attractive structure. It would be a shame to have to tear it down.

Does anyone know how high those wings are?

Also, I wonder if it was the support structures that go from the tip of the wings down to the dock that were the issue or the wings themselves.

Good to hear that most folks are enjoying themselves despite missing the port.

By the way, I had to delete a few posts because of copyright infringement but here's the link to the article that was posted:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/mach_man/Dream/Dream267.jpg

:)

It is a nice looking pier. The following photos I took from my deck 8 balcony on Solstice. Those steel support structures are fairly close to the ship - I didn't notice that when we where there. If I had to guess, that's what I would say the lifeboat(s) would hit if Dream docked there.

solstice1.jpg

solstice2.jpg

Perhaps the steel cables as well.

solstice3.jpg

Is the Liberty smaller than the Dream?!?!? I'm sailing on her this Saturday and was really excited about San Juan.

The Liberty is a Conquest Class so there should be no problems...

Here's a satellite image of a Conquest Class ship in port in San Juan. You can see the unusual wing shaped 'sculpture' just to the east...

carnivalinpuertorico.jpg

Yes and again since the Oasis is not even scheduled to port there (at least according to their schedule)what does that have to do with anything:confused:

Carnival screwed up but at least this is not one of their regular scheduled ports.......

That was a quote from the article..

It is a nice looking pier. The following photos I took from my deck 8 balcony on Solstice. Those steel support structures are fairly close to the ship - I didn't notice that when we where there. If I had to guess, that's what I would say the lifeboat(s) would hit if Dream docked there.

solstice1.jpg

solstice2.jpg

Wow... great images!!

What I was referring to appears to be the steel cables from the wingtips down to the pier. I'd guess they provide tension on the structure...

The lifeboats are at Deck 4 on the Dream so I think that's where the issue was...

RCCL didn't design Oasis to fit any dock - the docks have to be modified or news ones built, or Oasis won't stop there. Tendering isn't an option.

Hell, Oasis didn't even fit under the bridge in Denmark without lowering the smoke stacks and only had about a 2 foot clearance then. What if it was high tide or a storm or a funky wave? Oops.

Well, I have been looking for a February cruise, and since I typically sail on RCI, I was looking at 7 day cruises from Florida, and the Oasis is typically about 1000$ more per person as compared to the Freedom class ships on a very similar itinerary. So, I think the 50 to 80% number:rolleyes: is pure Barbara Streisand....:D

jc

The 50% to 80% quote is originally from me. I got that from RCCL saying they are intentionally limiting Oasis' occupancy for the first few sailings of the ship. So price isn't affected for that reason, that is why they haven't gone down. I read from people on the ship now that there are 3700+/- passengers onboard out of 5400 dbl - 6300 max occupancy... hence, the 50% to 80%. The pre-inagurals and the Lababee Extravganga were in the same ball park as far as how many passengers they had.

Its now RCCLs fault the Dream didn't fit?? How did the Oasis get into this discussion??

What does RCCL have to do with the fact that the Carnival Dream cannot dock at the pier in San Juan because someone at Carnival dropped the ball and didnt realize the ship wouldnt fit ?

If anything Carnival should have taken a heads up from RCCL with this matter...they knew that Oasis wouldnt fit into certain piers and began building new ones so their ship wouldnt have the issue Carnival is currently experiencing. One can only hope San Juan was an oversight and there will be no issues at the ports the Dream is supposed to be visiting on a regular basis.

I can pull out my Carnival red and blue cheerleader pom poms with the best of them, but come on, fair is fair.

RCCL didn't design Oasis to fit any dock - the docks have to be modified or news ones built, or Oasis won't stop there. Tendering isn't an option.

Hell, Oasis didn't even fit under the bridge in Denmark without lowering the smoke stacks and only had about a 2 foot clearance then. What if it was high tide or a storm or a funky wave? Oops.

Oh yeah, I bet the the Oasis designers were holding their breath when the ship sailed under that bridge. When RCCL designed Oasis they knew about the pier issue so they planned for it in the budget of the project. I guess Carnival assumed there would not be any pier problems for Dream so they didn't plan for it. I imagine they are a little ticked off about it today but your right, since SJ isn't a regular stop for Dream I doubt they'll loose too much sleep over it.;)

Wow... great images!!

What I was referring to appears to be the steel cables from the wingtips down to the pier. I'd guess they provide tension on the structure...

The lifeboats are at Deck 4 on the Dream so I think that's where the issue was...

Yeah, I saw those in another pic and added it to the post. Those cables are closer to the ship and would certainly do a number on the lifeboats. It's hard to say what would have hit without being there to see it but you wouldn't think any of it would be a problem.:confused:

The Captain just informed everyone (woke us up, LOL) that he has tried two piers to dock at here, and we are apparently too large to fit at either one! He said something about wires too close and puncturing a life boat -- not sure if he meant that a life boat was damaged, or could be (hey, I was asleep - so I am not sure.. LOL).

FUN DAY AT SEA here we come!

Tom

Was sad to hear that the Dream had to back away from the pier. We originally booked to see a friend there. We never know what plans will be made for us when we make plans? Hopw you and Cheryl are having a blast. Can not believe we would have had another sea day! :)

Kap

Ok well I posted that for the people who kept wondering why people were talking about RCCL. Well that's obviously why! They were mentioned in the article. :rolleyes:

Ok then I guess we should write the editor:D RCCL knows the Oasis won't fit there.......that's why they will not be porting there lol!

they could use the ships boats for tendering. They've done that before.

Or better yet,let my wife park that thing, she can squeeze into some unbelievable spots.

LOL OMG this had me rolllllllllllin' :p I was laughing so hard. My husband says the same thing about me and my driving

Carnival Liberty and Carnival Dream are not structurally the same. The Dream can't fit somewhere just because the Liberty can.

Complaints because Carnival never changes the design; now complaints because they do? Too funny.

The other pier does not have the obstruction in question that the poorly designed RCCL pier has.

Archived