Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

My first cruise was in 1976 on a ship called the "Emerald Seas." It was just a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas to "see if I liked a cruise." Obviously I did. Then went on Costa for a few years because as young single girls, we got a ton of attention from the Italian crew!

My first cruise was in 1976 on a ship called the "Emerald Seas." It was just a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas to "see if I liked a cruise." Obviously I did. Then went on Costa for a few years because as young single girls, we got a ton of attention from the Italian crew!

d65e1cfec68e189768b93cd746b400af.jpg

Admiral Cruises' Emerald Seas

Edited by Copper10-8

My first cruise was with family while in high school - the year 1963. The SS Glacier Queen was a cozy (small) ship which took us through the Alaskan Inside Passage from Vancouver to Skagway. I really enjoyed it, and it seems the fog horn each night actually helped me sleep! I was sold on cruising from then.

My first cruise was with family while in high school - the year 1963. The SS Glacier Queen was a cozy (small) ship which took us through the Alaskan Inside Passage from Vancouver to Skagway. I really enjoyed it, and it seems the fog horn each night actually helped me sleep! I was sold on cruising from then.

740_001.jpg?v=1

Alaska Cruise Lines' ss Glacier Queen. She sank at Anchorage off Seldovia Bay on November 8, 1978 and was later raised by the U.S. Coast Guard and scuttled 100 miles west of Cape Elias.

The Oosterdam Mexican Riviera with a girlfriend because our husbands didn't want to go. First trip with the hubby--anniversary trip, same ship, same route, but in a Neptune Suite (wheeee!). He was hooked, of course, and expected all future cruises to be as comfy.

Cruises to Hawaii and the Panama in the meantime, and our 30th anniversary coming up--Mexican Riviera, Veendam, Christmas. Can't wait!

09_G.jpg

Holland America Line's Oosterdam

My first cruise was in 1965 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I was a kid and my family was moving back to the US from the Netherlands. We travelled from Rotterdam to New York. I have a postcard from the trip with a picture of the ship with the statue of liberty in the background. It lists room for 617 passengers first class, 413 passengers cabin class and 207 passengers tourist class. I don't remember there being that many people on the ship. There were no balconies and I remember one day in the crossing where everyone was sick. My husband and I took our first cruise together on the Zuiderdam for a 7 day Caribbean cruise in 2003. My best friend and her husband surprised us by knocking on our cabin door as we were unpacking the first day. That was a complete surprise and we had a wonderful time. Both my husband and I fell asleep going home on the plane before it even took off and slept the entire way home to Seattle.

Mary

My first cruise was in 1965 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I was a kid and my family was moving back to the US from the Netherlands. We travelled from Rotterdam to New York. I have a postcard from the trip with a picture of the ship with the statue of liberty in the background. It lists room for 617 passengers first class, 413 passengers cabin class and 207 passengers tourist class. I don't remember there being that many people on the ship. There were no balconies and I remember one day in the crossing where everyone was sick. My husband and I took our first cruise together on the Zuiderdam for a 7 day Caribbean cruise in 2003. My best friend and her husband surprised us by knocking on our cabin door as we were unpacking the first day. That was a complete surprise and we had a wonderful time. Both my husband and I fell asleep going home on the plane before it even took off and slept the entire way home to Seattle.

Mary

Nieuw-amsterdam-in-later-years.jpg

Holland America Line's Nieuw Amsterdam II

DW and I had the pleasure of sailing on the (new) Bahama Star (originally the Jerusalem2 from Zim Lines that became Bahama Star (2) ) in the early 1970s with Eastern Cruise Lines) as our first cruise. It was a three day trip to Bahamas and back. Quite fun and taught us that we wouldn't get sea sick.

harry

esl6906i.jpg

Eastern Cruise Line's New Bahama Star

Our first cruise was in 2009, Boston to Bermuda on the Norwegian Spirit. We LOVE that ship. The decor was elegant and based on Asian art. We took another cruise with the same ship\itinerary the following year. Then NCL took the Spirit for another itinerary and put the NCL Dawn on the Boston to Bermuda. We are not so thrilled with the Dawn, it is more contemporary with a neonish\vegas type decor and atmosphere. We are looking forward to cruising with HAL on the Veendam. I've wanted to cruise with HAL since the first time we were in Bermuda and saw the white and blue mid sized ship docked on Front Street. I didn't look at the name, but I knew it was a HAL ship because of the ship's colors and design. Finally we can afford a nice cabin on HAL, and we are thrilled to be taking our 20th Wedding Anniversary cruise with them. Can hardly wait for May!:D

Lorie

110310-1845.jpg

NCL's Norwegian Spirit

My first cruise was on the Agean Pearl in 2008 with my daughter. It was a 5 day cruise of the Greek Isles and included a stop in Turkey. I wanted to see how I was on a ship (make sure I didn't get sea sick). :D

That summer my TA sent me an invitation to tour the Maasdam and I took my husband. He was impressed with the ship and his first cruise (on a cruise ship - ex-navy) was a round trip to Canada from Boston and he was hooked. We have sailed at least once a year since then. For our 45th anniversary and his 70th birthday we did two cruises that year (Hawaii and the Baltic). :)

My husband says we are working our way through every DAM ship.

THE_AEGEAN_PEARL_17-08-2009.JPG

Golden Sun Cruises' Agean Pearl (in Louis Cruise Line colors), the former NCL Southward, scrapped in 2013

My first cruise was on the old Westerdam, (not the current one) and sailed out of Ft Lauderdale to Nassau, San Juan, and St Thomas during the last of Nov, first of Dec 2000.

And oh yes, it did get me hooked.

Westerdam_2509_W708.jpg

Holland America Line's Westerdam II, the former Home Line's Homeric; currently owned by TUI UK (Touristik Union International) Ltd. and operating under charter by Thomson Cruises as Thomson Dream

Westerdam_2509_W708.jpg

Holland America Line's Westerdam II, the former Home Line's Homeric; currently owned by TUI UK (Touristik Union International) Ltd. and operating under charter by Thomson Cruises as Thomson Dream

They claim that ship was haunted. I was Chaplain on here for a relocation cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. She was my least favorite HAL ship.

They claim that ship was haunted. I was Chaplain on here for a relocation cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. She was my least favorite HAL ship.

I heard those same 'haunted' stories from crew members, Father John! ;)

June 1996, Carnival Fascination, Southern Caribbean Itinerary.

San Juan

St. Thomas

Guadeloupe

Grenada

La Guaira / Caracas

Aruba

San Juan

The all day excursion to the glass factory and downtown Caracas is still the most memorable trip I have ever been on.

30725-5308157.jpg

Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Fascination

Mine was May 1984---honeymoon with the love of my life. Stella Solaris (Sun Line). Mediterranean itinerary: Mykonos, Rhodes, and other islands--also included Jerusalem, Ephesus, Istanbul and Cairo. (It was 2 one-week back-to-back cruises, as I recall)

On that cruise, we daydreamed about doing a trip up the Nile on our 10th anniversary. Instead, we spent that anniversary in Galveston with our two young children.

Didn't cruise again until 2011 (Alaska-Volendam) and enjoying reconnecting with cruising!

749212.jpg

Sun Line's Stella Solaris

Our first cruise was on our honeymoon in 1987 on the Nordic Prince. It was a ten day southern Caribbean cruise. Our tiny cabin was far forward with a porthole. It was by far the most luxurious thing we had ever experienced up to that point. We left loving cruising but didn't cruise again until much later with our small children.

NordicPrince01_b.jpg

Edited by jmps

Our first cruise was on our honeymoon in 1987 on the Nordic Prince. It was a ten day southern Caribbean cruise. Our tiny cabin was far forward with a porthole. It was by far the most luxurious thing we had ever experienced up to that point. We left loving cruising but didn't cruise again until much later with our small children.

NordicPrince01_b.jpg

Sailed Nordic Prince in September/October 1994 from Vancouver to L.A. The captain was Norwegian Ole-Johan Gronhaug. After her Royal Caribbean service, she sailed as Carousel, Aquamarine, Arielle, Ocean Star Pacific, Pacific and Pacific Victory. She has not had a good career since 2010 and she was broken up in 2015 at Alang, India