Pacific Jewel or Cubic Zirconia??

rugbypopsie

Here I go on my soapbox again!!

Yes we Aussies get the OLD ships that everyone else has finished with. They give them a bit of paint, charge us the earth, and think that we won't know any different. I am sure that we will be hearing more about this "new ship"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why we will NOT go on any Aussie Princess cruise again and definitely not on a P@O Cruise ship.

Thank goodness for the Rhapsody of the Seas and the Diamond Princess( a gorgeous US Princess ship). They leave our old boats for dead.

PETZL

P&O announced automatic tipping was no more from the first of October this year (turned out to be weasel words or spin)

I am afraid that you have to get your facts straight - it is NEXT year that P & O is removing the auto-tipping (call it what you may - auto-tip, hotel charge, etc)

Barry

P&O announced automatic tipping was no more from the first of October this year (turned out to be weasel words or spin)

Not EVER worried about it (still don't)

Am concerned when they squeeze/overload a ship by 500 (25%) passengers their facilities have no hope of catering for. Noticed right from boarding my Suite

Much better deal to fly cruise outside Australia than touch P&O (although past experiences were very good. That has ended)

Here I go on my soapbox again!! .

Hi Lizzy,

I'll join you on that soapbox....

We have cruised P&O Australia,

We have cruised Princess Australia...

but when the real Princess arrives in our waters,

we dont wait to book...

we race to our TA and say

give me some of that action.

The extras and the service you get,

just leave the local product for dead.

Hi Lizzy,

I'll join you on that soapbox....

We have cruised P&O Australia,

We have cruised Princess Australia...

but when the real Princess arrives in our waters,

we dont wait to book...

we race to our TA and say

give me some of that action.

The extras and the service you get,

just leave the local product for dead.

There is quite a few of us on the soapbox hope it is a big one!

Your neighbours from the Diamond "Spenders" were on board the Jewel.

Unfortunately I have to agree...there is PRINCESS with everything you have come to love about cruising with them...and then there is "princess lite" based in Aussie. Think soft drink without the fizz.:(

Hopefully as the Australian sector goes from strength to strength they will recognise it is worth investing here before some other cruise line steals the action.

Well - I don't know about this criticism. I have just been on the Pac Dawn for the first time ( and overall enjoyed it) - was talking to a bloke who told me that he "would never recommend Pac Dawn to ANYONE" - and went on to list a whole littany of things he didn't like (even though he was on it himself!!!! :p). From my observation, although the Pac Dawn is not "perfect", I don't know how anyone could make the statement that he did.

Too many critics here, I believe - but to each, his/her own!

Barry

No, the announcement was only 2 weeks ago - in December - so it wouldn't be even possible to have announced it in the past.

I suggest you do some research and look up the details of the announcement which clearly states October 2010.

I were told the auto-tipping had been finnished with, turns out it's just been re-named to a Hotel charge. No mention of it in late arriving informatition I could see

In any case not bothering with P&O EVER they stink and badly at that:eek::eek:

Once again the information you were given was incorrect - although only partially. The auto tipping is being aboished but not until late 2010. And officially it's never been called auto tipping - it's always been charged as a hotel charge.

She was an *old ship* when we first had her --but a lovely freindly Livery --which has now been wiped off and left her looking bland and tired :o

The inside has been re-vamped to suit her new clientele. :confused: WE loved her previuos LOUD colours. Infact we loved everything about her .

Obviously very sad that she has gone. :(

As a previuos poster said, booking a maiden voyage will allways be hit and miss - New Crew, new staff, new equipment -- and even though some ex OV crew /staff are still with her, they have to adapt to the changes and to the new criteria/standards.

Regarding the tipping issue - in the Uk we ONLY tip for GOOD service provided -- NOT pre paid -up front -added onto bill. :confused:

I do NOT get tipped in my job, I receieve the basic minimum wage. If everywhere adhered to this, then there would be no need for any *built-in* tips.

I find it under handed and shamefull (on the employers part)--that anyone should have to pay tips... UNLESS they so choose to, for the services they are happy with.

End of trip each passenger was hit for a unannounced $7.50 "Hotel charge" for each day making the angrier worse:eek::eek::eek:

What is a "hotel charge" ?Is this new ? I wonder if this

is replacing the "automatic tipping" ? :confused:

Hotel Charge is auto tipping and is very clearly explained in the brochure so how anyone can say it is unannounced is beyond me. We did our first cruise on P&O in April 2006 and even back then it was on the account statement as Hotel Charge:confused:

Sorry, after I posted this I realised I hadn't read the second page of the thread:)

Regarding the tipping issue - in the Uk we ONLY tip for GOOD service provided -- NOT pre paid -up front -added onto bill. :confused:

I do NOT get tipped in my job, I receieve the basic minimum wage. If everywhere adhered to this, then there would be no need for any *built-in* tips.

I find it under handed and shamefull (on the employers part)--that anyone should have to pay tips... UNLESS they so choose to, for the services they are happy with.

Well said:)

Demand is exceeding supply in most cases so fares will rise and other moves to increase profit will sneak in... eg.. lower quality food, lower staff services... Add to this a like it or lump it attitude as well.

Comparing Australia's Princess "lite" from a cruise done in Oct09 to one in '08 there was a very noticeable drop in value & quality.

Sad for it slip back, who knows what the future holds?? For me no more bookings until things improve.

To the OP... you may have been able to have the "hotel charge" removed from your account?

Oooh I don't feel so good seeing these reports :( we sail on the 28th Dec'09 on Jewel NYE cruise, we originally booked the Dawn as we loved our time on her in Jan'09 :) please I hope they iron out all the wrinkles before we board :p we've gone all out and paid alot of money for a mini-suite it better be good :eek: gotta say now I am worried :eek: Nett

The Dawn and Jewel should offer/be the same "standard"?

Hopefully P&O will get it right

Trouble is if they don't you apparently have no rights

They proved to me to be untrustworthy I won't bother with them again

I had a balcony suite

:eek:

Where has all the fun gone?

bad service in the dinning room? Go to the buffet and have some there as well if you are hungry! If not call the waiter and ask for more!

no slippers? ask your steward where they are!

Like any holiday, cruise too much and you get bored with it,have less fun so need to complain because you didn't have such a good time!

Everybody knows the Jewel and Dawn have fitted in another 500 passengers?

I cruised on the Dawn its first year,it was full booked out but it was empty?

P&O is a floating "Holiday Camp" There is plenty to moan about if you want and i have had my share too but the Jewel cant be that much different to the Dawn?

Cruise less have more fun on the ones you do!

Too many ship snobs!

Den

bad service in the dinning room? Go to the buffet and have some there as well if you are hungry! If not call the waiter and ask for more!

Like any holiday, cruise too much and you get bored with it,have less fun so need to complain because you didn't have such a good time!

P&O is a floating "Holiday Camp" There is plenty to moan about if you want and i have had my share too but the Jewel cant be that much different to the Dawn?

Too many ship snobs!

Den

Agree wholeheartedly Den. The cruise is what you make it. You know before you go that P&O run 3 star ships - heck, that's even what you pay for! You also know how many people constitute a ship sailing at capacity, & must expect that - esp in Australia in summer. It's got a lot to do with one's attitude & whether you determine to enjoy yourself no matter what the glitches may be.

All you had to do was read the small print & have the "hotel charge" removed. It's totally discretionary. And I would have asked for all the suite perks too if I was expecting them. :)

If someone dares put their opinion you always get the P&O brownose cruisers going off at you,they are getting just what they deserve high prices for a three star ship and P&O loves them.We will always be taken by P&O for granted and thats the service they give so my monies go to other companies that give me value for money, even though they are still under the Carnival umbrella.Every ship that is controlled by P&O Australia are well below par in any cruise parlance, that is why we do not cruise with them anymore.

Sorry for venting my opinion so abruptly but You have to start kicking up a fuss otherwise nothing will change.

Regards Frank and Anna.

Waiter don't come, Buffet if early had a queue, if late food gone cold

Did that just ignored. This was for Bath Robe Slippers Soap etc I had paid for

Never had to complain about a cruise before. Not seen anyone before doing so

That's a 33% increase over it's designed facilities. It seemed the boat was "filled" a lot of wheel chairs and intellectually handicaped?

P&O is a floating "Holiday Camp"

Not this time. with the queue's on queue's. It was positivly unsafe

There is plenty to moan about if you want and i have had my share too but the Jewel cant be that much different to the Dawn?

Maybe the Dawn tried smaller steps (baby steps) not jump straight into deep end?

Not with P&O. But will with reputable companies that honour their end of deal

Too many ship snobs!

Seems what you are?

Den

Unable to multi-qoute?

This is supposed to be a forum where people can express opinions both good and otherwise of their cruising experience.

It is just not on to jump all over posters because they actually dared to point out what they didn't enjoy. I think I have said elsewhere if you want to whinge on board don't pick me I am too busy having a good time.

However we are as the paying passengers entitled to critique our experiences.

It would appear some would have us believe 3 star cruising experience means you have to wait 2.5 hours for a meal, or "board" 3 times because the computers wont work I don't agree.

Of course the ship will not be as flash as the Diamond Princess etc. but you know we pay almost the same price for a damn sight less and lots of us are starting to object and expect better.

I would urge other cruise critics to post their experience of the new Jewel so we call be better informed about what they liked and what possible needs improvement in the interest of better cruising for all of us.

Archived