FLL Rental car optios

Javacruiser

I'm looking at renting a vehicle at FLL & then being dropped off at Port Everglades the next day. I'd like opinions from those that have used the following 3 companies:

National - Pick up at FLL & return to FLL & take free shuttle

Budget - Pick up at FLL & drop off at Quay Center with free shuttle from there

ACE - Pick up at FLL & drop off at Port Everglades location with free shuttle

If I am incorrect about any of the information above, please let e know. Otherwise, if you've used any of the 3, let me know if you have positive or negative comments.

Thanks,

I've used Budget before, picking up at FLL and dropping off at Quay Center. We had no problems and we were the only ones on the shuttle from their office to the port - a short 5 minute drive.

We used Budget last year and I concur. No problems, a bigger crowd at the rental office but all went well.

We cruised into the port and dropped of luggage at the ship before returning the car, made the shuttle ride a little less of a hassle.

I've used Budget before, picking up at FLL and dropping off at Quay Center. We had no problems and we were the only ones on the shuttle from their office to the port - a short 5 minute drive.

There are 2 "Quay"'s listed. Which one??

There are 2 "Quay"'s listed. Which one??

QUAY SHOPPING PLAZA

1515 SE 17TH STREET CAUSEWAY

FT.LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 US

F07

hours Sun 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM; Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM; Sat 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM phone 954-761-7231

<<We cruised into the port and dropped of luggage at the ship before returning the car, made the shuttle ride a little less of a hassle>>

The mention of dropping off your luggage first caught my eye... I am leaving from FLL in February, renting a car the day before from National at the airport, then planned on using the airport shuttle to get to the port. My buddy travelling with me has some mobility issues and dumping the suitcases first would be a great option for me to make the shuttle transfer easier.

Not being familiar at all with the port, how did you do this? Is there a drop off point or something akin to curbside baggage check once you enter the port?

<<We cruised into the port and dropped of luggage at the ship before returning the car, made the shuttle ride a little less of a hassle>>

The mention of dropping off your luggage first caught my eye... I am leaving from FLL in February, renting a car the day before from National at the airport, then planned on using the airport shuttle to get to the port. My buddy travelling with me has some mobility issues and dumping the suitcases first would be a great option for me to make the shuttle transfer easier.

Not being familiar at all with the port, how did you do this? Is there a drop off point or something akin to curbside baggage check once you enter the port?

DITTO, I would like to know this also??? Barb

I don't know if anyone needs a car rental in January but I got an email from Thrifty tonight--I called the general number for Thrifty to verify that there is a free shuttle from Port Everglades to the FLL airport where you pick up the car and was told "yes" but I am going to call the airport office tomorrow just to make sure.

So I booked a mid-sized (ford fusion) for a base price of $29.99 with all the added fees $42.00 just for the one day we come back to port--our flight is not till the evening. The promo code is DECEM

A SUV base price is $66.99 code 2FLSE

A minivan base price is $51.99 code 2COM1

I had been previously been pricing cars at close to $90 for the day and I thought I was lucky to click on a "Weekend Special" for Hertz that just came on the website for $60 for the day.

We just drove into the port, right off of 17th St. We told Security at the gate that we were dropping off cruise luggage and they waved us right through. We could see our ship and as we approached it, there were signs directing us to luggage drop-off. When we pulled through the circular drive there were dozens of large luggage carts on both sides of the drive. We stopped and instantly a porter was there to take our luggage and load it on the carts. I believe they even had extra baggage tags. My family stayed in the car while the bags were unloaded. A small tip for the assistance and we were on our way back to Budget to drop off the car. It was very easy, I'd call it a drive-thru luggage check-in.

I don't know if anyone needs a car rental in January but I got an email from Thrifty tonight--I called the general number for Thrifty to verify that there is a free shuttle from Port Everglades to the FLL airport where you pick up the car and was told "yes" but I am going to call the airport office tomorrow just to make sure.

So I booked a mid-sized (ford fusion) for a base price of $29.99 with all the added fees $42.00 just for the one day we come back to port--our flight is not till the evening. The promo code is DECEM

A SUV base price is $66.99 code 2FLSE

A minivan base price is $51.99 code 2COM1

I had been previously been pricing cars at close to $90 for the day and I thought I was lucky to click on a "Weekend Special" for Hertz that just came on the website for $60 for the day.

Costco is a little less expensive for Budget.

Rented from Thrifty/Budget in Oct. P/u the car at airport and dropped off the car right outside the entrance to the port. Didn't even have to take the shuttle as we had another couple with us so they just took us to the terminal in the Rental. SWEEEEEEEET!

I am wondering if I can do this through Hotwire. We will be arriving FLL 2 days before our cruise. I can add a rental car to a hotel reservation for peanuts ($15-$18/day depending on size) but won't know the company until I make a reservation I can't cancel. Has anyone done this? If it is not one of the 3 listed on this thread that has a shuttle how would I get to the port? We have thought of having dh drop us at the port and make his way back after dropping the car. Too much of a hassle? Any ideas???? Thanks.

I am wondering if I can do this through Hotwire. We will be arriving FLL 2 days before our cruise. I can add a rental car to a hotel reservation for peanuts ($15-$18/day depending on size) but won't know the company until I make a reservation I can't cancel. Has anyone done this? If it is not one of the 3 listed on this thread that has a shuttle how would I get to the port? We have thought of having dh drop us at the port and make his way back after dropping the car. Too much of a hassle? Any ideas???? Thanks.

I responded under the Hotwire/Priceline thread on this board. Short answer is, any drop at the FLL rental car center can use the shuttle to Port Everglades. How you handle logistics of luggage is up to you, we prefer to drop luggage at the dock and then turn the car in, this way only have to deal with carry-ons on the shuttle.

Archived