Live Silver Spirit Maiden Holiday Voyage Barcelona to Lisbon

DebbieH103

"Is it because few passengers want these other varieties or is it simpler and cheaper for the kitchen to mostly carry fish?"

Are you kidding meow, have you bought any fish lately? Sea Bass $28Lb, Halibut $17lb, not exactly cheap!!

and SS special services quoted us Abalone at $39 lb (for frozen from Denmark) would have flown it to us in Lisbon...we demurred and will have another dinner special for our Silver anniversary celebration on the Spirit.

In this day and age that many people are concerned with high blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol, it may be better to serve small portions. Those who want more can always ask for another serving, or an additional different dish for variety.

But then those who are singing the death knell of Silversea would say, "The portions are small! They're having financial difficulties!"

I don't think people want to ask for an additional portion...it's not a tapas restaurant.

Quick note. Lovely drinks in Panorama; lovely service by Garreth (bartender) and Rose (server). Blue cheese stuffed olives, as ordered yesterday for a standing daily order; they came as ordered with my Plymouth Gin (yes, the Spirit now stocks Plymouth Gin) martini.

Then on to the restaurant, though Antonio proposed upstairs on deck 10 for a steak dinner. WONDERFUL! We had a ceasar salad followed by a ribeye. The ribeye was served on a hot stone; was fabulous. The owner was at a nearby table and we gave them a 1959 Jura wine to go with their cheese course, which they enjoyed. Then on to Stars and hearing the fabulous Alfreda and Vladimir. They, along with Mark in the Panorama before dinner, are terrific entertainment! Love them all.

More tomorrow; it's 10 before 2 am and I'm beat!

Today was a lazy day aboard the Silver Spirit. We awakened in time for lunch, which we had at La Terrazza. Service was good...I had a very tasty pizza.

We had dinner at the new concept steak-house on deck 10. The awning, which protected us from the heavy rain is equipped with heat lamps so we had the benefit of the fresh air without requiring any coats, etc.

This concept, which we also trialled on the Wind was wonderful! Absolutely wonderful. There are a variety of cuts of meat available, (seafood is also available) I had the prime rib. Steaks come out on a "lava stone" which keeps the steak cooking, and hot for a good 45 minutes. The sizzle is wonderful.

We were lucky in that Dr. LeFebvre (Silversea's owner), Ken Watson, (COO) and Capt. Ansaro were also dining al fresco. We sent over a bottle of 1959 wine that we brought with us to their table to congratulate them on their new ship. All three came by to thank us, and Dr. LeFebvre asked us some great questions about the ship. We gave great kudos to "STARS" and Alfreda; "Panorama" and Mark, the pianist; but expressed that we weren't huge fans of the new "Bar" layout. It's a bit reminiscent of a lobby at the Hilton. Having said that, we did say it was nice to have a choice of venues on the ship.

After dinner we went to the "Panorama" and enjoyed the pianistic stylings of Mark Farris, and the bar service of Gareth and Rose. We then migrated to "STARS" to have a dose of jazz, courtesy of Alfreda and Vladimir.

All in all...a good day aboard the m/v Silver Spirit.

Craig, Will and Debbie (3 of 540 SS Spirit pax) thanks again for posting "daily" about your experiences on the Spirit maiden; alfresco dining sounded wonderful, kudos for your generous gesture to SS owners Craig & Wil; imagine on the crossing as we sail into warmer climates, alfresco dining will be a popular dining option that is offered. How was the Flamenco show Debbie?..Sounds like the Panorama lounge is a good spot for pre dinner drinks (served by Garreth)and appetizers--thanks for tips on Stars & Aflreda and Mark in the Panorama.

Sounds like we missed everything last night. We were told the stone thing would never open this cruise and also we have not been up to disco because nobody ever danced any other cruise. We were at Stars again and had two or 3 courses, hot things are not hot.

Since when did they start having different Venetian Society meetings for different classes of members?

Since the ship currently has 85% of the passengers on board as being Venetian Society members. There is no "class" distinction between the + and - 100 day members. Both events were identical in their staging and offerings.

Duct Tape...

You know me an karaoke! Last night at STARS, Alfreda stuck the mic in my face (ok, so I wrestled it from her grasp nearly breaking her wrist...just kidding!) and had me sing "FEVER" with the piano accompanying me.

It was good fun...for me anyway, not for the folks in the audience who had to listen!! :D

The reason the parties, including Captain's have been in two places is because there are so many returning guests, as Craig said.

I hope they open the hot stone restaurant again. I wonder if it opened last night since it has not been very warm in Cadiz at all. The menu was not to my liking in the main dining from the descriptions, but I love clams and wish I had known the seafood dish had that. I just ordered a salad and a shrimp cocktail while Todd did the Black Angus and then had some courses upstairs. We are not dessert people and did get the dessert course in STARS. Now if you are dessert people, that is killer. You get 3. When I mentioned things not being that hot that should be warm, it was the hot fish course. It was tasty, though. Todd ordered that, and I tried it.

The Flamenco show was great at La Cava. We were given drinks and tapas, too, and we saw interesting things at the market.

Tonight is the Aquarius Dawning show, and we are looking forward to that.

Read my blog for more thoughts on service.

We have seen Ken Watson and the owner many times, but they are always with people. We have not got to meet either but appreciate their attention to the details and continued upscaling.

I love the new bar concept a lot. I know it won't be for everyone. Of course, we have not been there after 7 but the old bar never served alcohol during the day, so that is a change right there.

Craig or Wil; If you get the opportunity could you ask Paolo Percivale if he has been made aware of the particulars of the cocktail party in our suite(801) on 5 Jan? Fort Lauderdale assured us that he had been given the details. He may be tied up with a million other things right now, but ask him if you see him. He's our point of contact and he'll be our first stop once we board, unless he's hiding or getting drunk. The maiden cruise has probably been pretty hard for him, especially with the brass aboard. Sounds as if things are improving slowly. Thanks again to you and Debbie for all your postings. See you onboard on 3 Jan. Happy New Year!

Since the ship currently has 85% of the passengers on board as being Venetian Society members. .
As the Spirit is the only ship with a lounge that can seat only 60% of the passengers, and sailings often have more than 60% repeaters, this separate Venetian meeting may become quite frequent. It is better to have everyone together.

There are 462 passengers on board.
It is somewhat surprising that even this first sailing is only 86% occupied (perhaps some are single travellers and the cabin occupancy percentage is higher). They decreased the "discount" for this sailing to only "15%" a while before sailing. Other than the Venetian Society event, is there any "bottleneck" anywhere else (e.g. trouble finding table for two at buffet breakfast/lunch)?

Is it true that La Terrazza can take 80 guests at night? Is it easy to get in, or is there a waiting list? Is there a limit on how many nights you can book?

How much is Seisin charging for dinner? Is buying a bottle of saki obligatory? If so, how much does that cost? Is it easy to book or with a long waiting list?

There is talk that there are two shows in the lounge at night (repetition). Do you just walk in any time you like (no tickets or assignments), and if you find it full, come back for the next one?

Presumably the poolside stone grill restaurant does not need reservation. Are there empty seats all the time, or is there a long wait?

So many of you like the Supper Club. Is there a long line up (since it looks small on the deck plan and presumably cannot take too many people at a time)?

As few people eat in La Champagne on the other ships, presumably it is often half empty on the newbuild as well.

Do you always get an empty seat in the library? Are there always unoccupied computers for you to use and go on line if you don't bring your own computer?

Are there always empty seats in the Observation Lounge? Imagine you are going through the Panama Canal, and there are many passengers who want to stand up in front of the lounge to watch the passage. Will there be space for all to stand under cover (or awnings) for all who may want to be there?

These, together with whether it is easy to get a table for two for buffet breakfast and lunch are indicators of whether there are "bottle necks" or not.

Other questions, do you think the new European style basin sink in your cabin washroom is functional or would you prefer the double spherical sinks on the Shadow/Whisper?

Is the clearance between the end of your bed and the make-up table wider or narrower than the Shadow/Whisper or about the same? Do you like the Spirit's standard verandah suite better or those on the Shadow/Whisper?

These are all questions which only passengers on board can answer. After this present voyage, the subsequent trans-Atlantic will include many cruise critic members. Hopefully, with all of you, a rather "live" picture of the newbuild can be envisaged! Thanks to those who have already posted such precious observations and experiences so far. We hope to continue hearing from you.

Archived