Live Silver Spirit Maiden Holiday Voyage Barcelona to Lisbon

DebbieH103

... the bathroom is just lovely with teak wood floors ...

... they would set up the table and use the cloth and do the full set up...

... he was really fired up to do a rose petal and candle bath...

... But let me know if you have additional questions...

Thank you kindly for such a comprehensive report. You said the bathroom floor was teak, that must be a first! Perhaps teak is less slippery than marble and safer, but harder to clean for the staff.

When they set up the table in your cabin, did they use a "table converter" to put on and over the sitting area's "centre table", just as they did on the Shadow/Whisper? Or was it some table they brought in from outside?

Do you happen to have a picture of the rose petal and candle bath?

We know the show lounge is single storeyed, but is it tiered, with stepped rows of seats such that the people in front of you will not block your view?

Since there were three people in your (presumably verandah) cabin, imagine you were sitting on the stool in front of the make-up table doing your eye lashes, if your husband wanted to pass by you, could he just walk through, or had to gingerly squeeze through, or had to ask you to stand up to let him through? We are trying to envisage the space between the end of the bed and the make-up table.

Hi, thanks for the positive feedback! As mentioned, we really did have a great time.

Thanks, Debbie, for the email. As soon as my technician (that would be Katherine) gets home from school, we will see about getting those photos to you. Same comment regarding the bath photos. I did take a couple of photos, but they really would not do it justice, since it is more the ambiance that was created with the lights down and the flickering candles.

With regard to the teak floors, I agree they will require more maintenance, but I guess they figured that when they put them in. The bath mats are very thick and do a nice job of catching the water, so wasn't a big issue for the individual cruise.

The rooms have a nice layout - and I definitely agree with Debbie that the closing curtains are an upgrade from even the other Silversea ships. The table is one that is tucked in the side of the curtain partition, so it is there for any room service activity. Also tucked in (on the opposite side) are two luggage racks (which I was not fond of since you really only need them once at the beginning and once at the end, but I guess that was also a decision that they made regarding packing needs).

The pathway from the hallway to the bedroom and on to the living room area is rather narrow as you pass by the beds. Due to the cabinetry required to house the TV and the drawers, shelves, etc it is a tight squeeze and if you are, in fact, sitting on the stool using the mirror for makeup or hair, another person could not pass. This is just the nature of the square feet and how it is allocated. We did not find this to be a problem, although I am sure there were some who complained. As I mentioned earlier, the 3 of us found the suite to be plenty spacious and I certainly wouldn't spring for a larger space on this account.

The show lounge was single storied and as Debbie mentioned, the seating was more like a real theatre - but with nice double seats. Plenty wide for two people. We sometimes sat in one together and then other times, we each took our own big seat. You have to remember to bring your own beverage, but that is not so bad since then you know you have what you want and you are not craning your neck to see if a server sees you, etc. I liked the way it was laid out (although, don't get me wrong, I love the two tier set-up as well) and it was easy to see over others heads for the performances or talks.

Okay - on to all that laundry and grocery shopping now!

Best, Janice

Regarding that table/converter thing, it really just turns it rectangular vs. oval and not that bigger than w/o it, don't you think, Janice? This table is bigger w/o the converter than the other ships.

We also really did not like those two luggage rack things, but they seemed pressed when we wanted rid of them, so we demured. They were falling down during the storm, as were other things, so we laid them flat for a few hours. Had we not had them put the suitcases under the bed, we would have shoved them there.

Somewhere in my original 104 pics I posted the first day, I posted pics of the theatres, and each show, we posted some pics. It may be a hunting mission, but you should get an idea. Besides not serving drinks, the issue is the rows are close together, so if someone crosses their leg over towards the person in the next two-seater, it does get a little claustrophobic. Unless they go back to single shows, I just don't ever envision that place getting totally full, and it is interesting with the two side stages and sort of looking around at what is going on. They are not doing the parties or any food or wine demos in there. These have all been moved to other venues. Only lectures and shows are held there right now.

We had NO food demos in 11 days, only that one champagne tasting, and I did miss them. I don't know if they are going to get in the Viking equipment or not, as I did not think to ask at the time. Maybe someone onboard will ask.

We are thinking of it for this November, have to pay for it, you know!

I certainly hope you can make it. I know that seeing it first hand will satisfy your feline curiosity. Until then, I'm sure others will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you and all other like-minded CC'ers.

You might look at the November 6 Spirit on which we are booked. It is one of the well-priced ones.

I'm booked on that one also, it's B2B after the transatlantic.

Meow if you book that one, I'll help u with the measurements:)

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Thank you kindly for your offer. By the way, since we are cyber cats, whichever voyage we are on, we will be invisible, but afterwards, we will post the details just like before .. meow!

I totally agree with Marcie (Goldens4). It makes a really great cruise when u can meet up with people that u have been posting with over a long period of time. I have had some great CC get togethers.

If u book the voyage, I hope u will become visible and make yourself known to me. I travel solo and always like meeting new people.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Why don't Silversea just put the price of the cruise up so that they can include Caviar and the alternative restaurants.I would prefer not having to pay extra for things once onboard,except spa treatments,tours and fine wine.

Why don't Silversea just put the price of the cruise up so that they can include spa treatments, tours and fine wine. I would prefer not having to pay extra for things once onboard, especially Caviar and the alternative restaurants

Why don't Silversea just put the price of the cruise up so that they can include spa treatments, tours and fine wine. I would prefer not having to pay extra for things once onboard, especially Caviar and the alternative restaurants

I would be first in line to have ALL the above included in a higher fare. I do not mind paying more for premium services along with the original (Caspian Sea) caviar that was once proudly served onboard and does not taste like the disgusting inferior rock salt that is served onboard today.

Can you imagine the rantings of all those who don't want those things included but would have to pay for them if SS did that? There are already so many who complain that they don't drink and have to pay for the all inclusive (yuk yuk) fares.

Well, I may be biased since I am not into caviar, but that aside, there is a bigger argument for the restaurants to be included, and the main reason they are charging is because the rooms are too small to handle whoever wants to go. They could make enough money on the pairing part were this not the case. They are not getting rich on 6 to 11 people a night in Le Champagne and 22 to 24 in Seishin.

and the main reason they are charging is because the rooms are too small to handle whoever wants to go..
As previously posted, we agree.

Besides we don't think a restaurant should be eliminated just because it cannot hold enough guests at any one time. For long voyages (those of you lucky enough to take them), we can imagine wanting variety in food, no matter how good the main restaurants are.

Well I guess it is a diffucult choice for the cruise line, because while including everything will make it more attractive, pushing the fare higher could put some people off- not only that, but there will be a lot of complaining for those who never use the spa, or go on tours. Even myself, I am not a drinker and am not too thrilled on having to pay for drinks if i was to cruise SS- nonetheless, I understand that this is one of the things that makes the cruise attractive to alot of customers. But as I said, it is a difficult split between if making people pay in advanced for things that some may not use, while trying to make a holiday all inclusive at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked from New York to Southampton in April and have all of your posts with much interest. We did not want a voyage earlier than a few weeks after the first cruise. Thanks again. Dick alias Domer.

Dick aka Domer - we are also on the April NY to Southampton. I started a roll call thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1088462.

Look forward to meeting you then. My husband, Bill, and I live in Chicago and I see you do as well. Small world.

Archived