Live Silver Spirit Maiden Holiday Voyage Barcelona to Lisbon

DebbieH103

As the Spirit is the only ship with a lounge that can seat only 60% of the passengers, and sailings often have more than 60% repeaters, this separate Venetian meeting may become quite frequent. It is better to have everyone together.

Why? The gathering is MAYBE 45 minutes tops. I think we're able to stand a bit of separation should the passenger numbers require.

It is somewhat surprising that even this first sailing is only 86% occupied (perhaps some are single travellers and the cabin occupancy percentage is higher). They decreased the "discount" for this sailing to only "15%" a while before sailing. Other than the Venetian Society event, is there any "bottleneck" anywhere else (e.g. trouble finding table for two at buffet breakfast/lunch)?

Why is this surprising? As you pointed out, there are solo travellers plus Silversea isn't crazy enough to fill every cabin on the first cruise. Had they filled every cabin, and then there turned out to be an issue with an occupied cabin (or two), to where would you move the affected party?

I didn't see the Venetian Society gatherings as being a bottleneck. Two rooms, no waiting.

. Had they filled every cabin, and then there turned out to be an issue with an occupied cabin (or two), to where would you move the affected party?

I didn't see the Venetian Society gatherings as being a bottleneck. Two rooms, no waiting.

You have a point on not wanting to fill the ship to the brink for an initial voyage.

As for Venetian Society meetings, it is not necessary for all to sit at once together, but as a "small" ship, the ability to sit all "in camera" for an event is conducive to a "wholesome" atmosphere.

Shouldn't there be a limit to how many questions each of us asks of current sailors? They are on board to enjoy themselves, not feed our limitless curiosity. Not to mention the internet cost to answer them all.
No, different sailors choose to anwer different questions. It is nice to gather them into lists for easier handling. As mentioned above, there will be many others on the subsequent crossing. We are sure that DebbieH103 and the good Colonel has/will entertain questions, as they already have answered/relayed many on this board. To some people, getting to know the details is part of the fun.

Today we were in Cadiz, Spain. A lovely town...easy to walk around. The weather continues not to cooperate fully but what can Silversea do 'bout that?

We had lunch at the pool grill which is still a great venue, rain not withstanding.

Dinner wasn't as successful, sad to say. We had, at the last minute decided to see if the steak restaurant was open. At first we were told "no" because of the weather. Shortly thereafter the maitre d' of the space found us in the Panorama Lounge to tell us that the full reason for its closure was that the deck was exceedingly wet, but if we didn't mind...they didn't mind. We didn't mind.

Then, the Spirit left port and began to rock a bit, and there was lightning so they advised us that they wouldn't be able to offer the venue. We all completely understood and thought we might give "La Terrazza" a try. Kudos to LT as they were fully committed so off to "The Restaurant" we went.

Here's the shortened version...one guest (CH) first course was served before anyone else's.

When everyone else received their first course, CH received her 2nd course...which was sent back so we could all be "on the same page." Then there was an hour's wait until the 2nd course arrived. There was minimal communication and there were no special orders. We spoke with the maitre d' who apologized profusely. The main course arrived when expected, as did the dessert.

The food is just delicious!! The service in "The Restaurant" is in need of work. "The Restaurant" was not at all busy.

Afterwards, I went to STARS for bit. It still is "it!"

We're sailing towards Casablanca and the ship is rockin' and a'rollin'. I like it!

You have a point on not wanting to fill the ship to the brink for an initial voyage.

As for Venetian Society meetings, it is not necessary for all to sit at once together, but as a "small" ship, the ability to sit all "in camera" for an event is conducive to a "wholesome" atmosphere.

Well, you can only talk to so many people at one time. There really is no detriment to having the event split.

Shouldn't there be a limit to how many questions each of us asks of current sailors? They are on board to enjoy themselves, not feed our limitless curiosity. Not to mention the internet cost to answer them all.

Thanks, WriPro... I'm happy to answer questions relevant to this voyage and the general feel of the ship, but if it's a question that can be asked by emailing Silversea directly then that's what one can do, and then share the answers with all and sundry!

Is it true that La Terrazza can take 80 guests at night? Is it easy to get in, or is there a waiting list? Is there a limit on how many nights you can book?

How much is Seisin charging for dinner? Is buying a bottle of saki obligatory? If so, how much does that cost? Is it easy to book or with a long waiting list?

There is talk that there are two shows in the lounge at night (repetition). Do you just walk in any time you like (no tickets or assignments), and if you find it full, come back for the next one?

Presumably the poolside stone grill restaurant does not need reservation. Are there empty seats all the time, or is there a long wait?

So many of you like the Supper Club. Is there a long line up (since it looks small on the deck plan and presumably cannot take too many people at a time)?

As few people eat in La Champagne on the other ships, presumably it is often half empty on the newbuild as well.

Do you always get an empty seat in the library? Are there always unoccupied computers for you to use and go on line if you don't bring your own computer?

Are there always empty seats in the Observation Lounge? Imagine you are going through the Panama Canal, and there are many passengers who want to stand up in front of the lounge to watch the passage. Will there be space for all to stand under cover (or awnings) for all who may want to be there?

These, together with whether it is easy to get a table for two for buffet breakfast and lunch are indicators of whether there are "bottle necks" or not.

Other questions, do you think the new European style basin sink in your cabin washroom is functional or would you prefer the double spherical sinks on the Shadow/Whisper?

Is the clearance between the end of your bed and the make-up table wider or narrower than the Shadow/Whisper or about the same? Do you like the Spirit's standard verandah suite better or those on the Shadow/Whisper?

These are all questions which only passengers on board can answer. After this present voyage, the subsequent trans-Atlantic will include many cruise critic members. Hopefully, with all of you, a rather "live" picture of the newbuild can be envisaged! Thanks to those who have already posted such precious observations and experiences so far. We hope to continue hearing from you.

Forgive me for not responding point by point, but a few basic answers. Seishin is $40 p/p if you just want the complimentary wines; $80 p/p with I think some sake (I'm not fully certain on this option) and $200 p/p for the full thing with sake pairings. We haven't tried to make reservations so can't comment on that.

Otherwise, the ship feels spacious and I haven't felt any venue was crowded. The time I was in the computer center a day or 2 ago, there were plenty of open terminals. Same with the library--plenty of space and few people there. Every time we've been to the observation lounge, there have been plenty of seats available--just a few people there. We've not had any problem getting into the la Terrazza space for lunch, so no problem. We don't go to the shows, but people have said they thought the theater was about 1/3 or so full the times I've heard them mention it, but don't take that as a first hand account.

PS A nice thing today was coming back to our suite to find the butler had polished our shoes for us, a nice surprise. He had polished them and they were wrapped in tissue paper with the silversea seal closing the paper around the shoes. I thought that was a nice touch.

Forgive me for not responding point by point, but a few basic answers. Seishin is $40 p/p if you just want the complimentary wines; $80 p/p with I think some sake (I'm not fully certain on this option) and $200 p/p for the full thing with sake pairings. We haven't tried to make reservations so can't comment on that.

Otherwise, the ship feels spacious and I haven't felt any venue was crowded. The time I was in the computer center a day or 2 ago, there were plenty of open terminals. Same with the library--plenty of space and few people there. Every time we've been to the observation lounge, there have been plenty of seats available--just a few people there. We've not had any problem getting into the la Terrazza space for lunch, so no problem. We don't go to the shows, but people have said they thought the theater was about 1/3 or so full the times I've heard them mention it, but don't take that as a first hand account.

Thank you for taking the time to give such comprehensive reply! The newbuild appears to have no significant bottle neck, which is reassuring. So as this is the case with a perhaps 90+% cabin occupancy rate, the ship architects have allowed for sufficient public space -- Perhaps with so many venues for meals and activities, passengers will naturally disperse, so there is no crowding anywhere. We should not underestimate the value of the ship architects' experience in scaling up to a relatively larger ship and how to deploy the space available effectively. All of you on board the ship, bon vaoyage, and please continue to post to let the rest of us know.

Craig, Wil & Debbie; thanks again for your timely Spirit reports.

Debbie's blog now has nice pics of the alfresco dining on deck 10..delicious looking

food shots elsewhere too. U can tell altho Todd and Debbie are wrapped in blankets

on deck 10, their smiles show they're enjoying the food/experience.

http://www.luxurycruiseandland.com/blogs/index.php?blog=11&paged=32

We are booked on our first Silversea cruise (Whisper ) this fall but have cruised on Regent

a few times as well as Celebrity and HAL.

I knew that there was an additional charge to dine in La Champagne but on The Spirit there seems to be more additional cost dining venues. To me that seems to redefine all inclusive cruising.

I felt that when the large cruise lines started to add their pay extra restaurants that their main dining rooms suffered in terms of quality and service. Now they are truly bad.

If you want a decent meal on HAL you have to pay between twenty and thirty dollars a person to eat in their pay extra restaurants.

I hope this trend does not start to trickle down to Silversea and Regent.

Debbie, Craig & Wil,

We appreciate the time you've taken to write your observations and down load pictures. We've enjoyed living vicariously as your Spirit journey has unfolded.

Thank you.....And Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.

Cheers,

Judy

So, I'm looking at the passenger list and it shows a port between Tangier and Lisbon of "Portimao". That's news to us! I've asked reception if we're going to Portimao and she was unsure. Originally it was arrive and overnight Lisbon on 02JAN but the Passenger List shows Portimao for the 2nd and Lisbon on the 3rd. Innerestin', eh? When I hear something I'll post it!

Thanks to Craig, Wil and Debbie for their tireless replies to all the inquiries. Although I do feel some of us can be quite selfish in thinking it is your responsibility to keep us constantly informed. As you said, Craig, many of these questions can be answered by calling SS or having your TA (if you have one who can be named) call for you. That is their job.

I hope you enjoy the crossing during which I am sure service will continue to improve.

There is no way I can repost all the info I posted, but let me get some highlights.

As Wil (I think) said, forget being worried about crowds. Craig eluded to this, also. Forget it. It is SO not an issue in these lounges, even the show lounge. They are considering going back to one show since it is not crowded. Maybe if you could get a drink it would be.

Considering the outside dining at La Terraza is not even open and so on, there is surely going to be little problem. People are hardly at the pool deck at all or the pool grill, and still most dining has tons of room. Yes, there is some fill up in Seishin, but there is a huge Japanese group, and it is a new concept. Worry most about getting in here, as 3 nights were full by 4 p.m. the first day. Other stuff, no problem that I have seen AT ALL.

There is maybe some issue on NY Eve and Jan 2. There are workarounds as they want to please people.

Service has improved daily. Some of the Brits say they won't do this ship again. I believe they will. It has got a little big for some people. That has not been our issue, we have just seen some glitches, but it is getting better. There are a few logistics I don't like that won't likely change, but I will put them in the report.

Dinner here. To be continued.

As Wil (I think) said, forget being worried about crowds. Craig eluded to this, also. Forget it. It is SO not an issue in these lounges, even the show lounge. They are considering going back to one show since it is not crowded...Considering the outside dining at La Terraza is not even open and so on, there is surely going to be little problem..
Thank you kindly for putting this worry to rest once and for all. As we have posted in reply to musecruiser
Thank you for taking the time to give such comprehensive reply! The newbuild appears to have no significant bottle neck, which is reassuring. So as this is the case with a perhaps 90+% cabin occupancy rate, the ship architects have allowed for sufficient public space -- Perhaps with so many venues for meals and activities, passengers will naturally disperse, so there is no crowding anywhere. We should not underestimate the value of the ship architects' experience in scaling up to a relatively larger ship and how to deploy the space available effectively. All of you on board the ship, bon vaoyage, and please continue to post to let the rest of us know.

DebbieH103: Your kindness and attention has been cordially appreciated .. meow!

Archived