Hotels near LA port?

fmhealth

Any suggestions as to where to stay before our cruise out of LA in March? Any & all input would be greatly appreciated!

Consider staying on the Queen Mary

You'll enjoy wandering this great historic ship in your free time, and it's very close to San Pedro, where I assume where your cruise will depart from since, you mention LA

Yes, please look at the West Coast boards.

Major things to remember: 1. LA is a very big place. I live in the City of LA, but am 50 miles away from the Port of LA. So if you plan to do anything pre or post cruise, it's best to do some planning as many of the attractions are an hour's drive or more away from each other.

2. If you find a hotel that seems very low cost, it could be that the hotel is in a dicey area or is a dump, or both. But you can find some decent bargains if you're careful.

3. I would advise against staying in downtown LA and in the airport area (unless it's post cruise and you have a very early flight the next day).

4. Many CCers fly into Long Beach airport instead of LAX, but there are fewer options for flights.

5. You can stay in Long Beach too. Some hotels will shuttle you over to the Port of LA. Just make sure you tell the driver you're not going to the Port of LB (unless you going on a Carnival ship).

Any suggestions as to where to stay before our cruise out of LA in March? Any & all input would be greatly appreciated!

I recommend the Crowne Plaza.

I stayed there several times and love the location. From my hotel window I saw the Mariner docked.

They have a shuttle to the ship and pick you up after the cruise.

The hotel is beautiful and very clean.

I do use their Park and Cruise. ;)

For those who drive to the port, they will keep your car in an underground parking garage for 14 nights. It is included in their package deal with the Park and Cruise/Sail package. You do pay more for that package then a plain one night.

This is the closest hotel to the piers.

Crowne Plaza Hotel

LOS ANGELES HARBOR HOTEL

601 S. PALOS VERDES ST.

SAN PEDRO, CA 90731 UNITED STATES

Hotel Front Desk: 1-310-5198200 | Hotel Fax: 1-310-5198421

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/laxpv

(This was written for someone who asked about their bar and clients) It has a bar in the Restaurant area that had quite a few people in it when we were there. They looked like well dressed business men and women stopping in after work.

I think you might find the Ports of Call Marketplace even better for a fun place to go.

There is a link below.

Walk 1 block down and you are on the pier at the Port's O' Call Marketplace with lots of shops and restaurants.

http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/portcall.htm

Another vote for the Queen Mary. A proper ocean liner. And the only ship where I've aspired to First Class :cool:

She's a floating piece of history, you stay in first-class cabins, with original cabin & bathroom fittings & decor, and most of the public rooms etc are vaguely as they were & free to tour. Spend part of your evening in the art-deco observation bar, fitted & furnished as she was - all chrome/glass/hardwood & murals. Amazing atmosphere.

And the accommodation is budget-price too.

Downsides - in some parts, she's "faded elegance" - rather well-worn, in a comfortable sort of a way. Cabins, tho pretty generous for a cabin, are much smaller than the average hotel/motel room. And Long Beach doesn't have a lot else to offer - that should get locals howling in protest & listing a string of attractions :D

But something different for a night or two & handy to the port.

Cruisin' chick reckons LA a big place.

As a visitor, I dont reckon it as a place at all - more a lot of places strung together. So we both agree that if you're planning a few days looking round LA, Long Beach is too far out, you'd be better somewhere like Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica - handy to Hollywood, etc, but away from the hubub & nice places in their own right. And probably good value in March.

John Bull

Archived