Hot Hors d'Oeuvres on HAL?

Gablin

It has been some years since I cruised on a HAL ship, but I have nice memories. One of them is of being served rather nice hors d'oeuvres in one or more bars before dinner. On my first cruise with HAL, in 1995, the server brought around the cart of tasty items while taking drink orders. There were crudites and dip, as well as little fried things. On the next cruise, the server indicated the location of the hors d'oeuvres and we were invited to serve ourselves. They were still quite good.

On my third cruise with HAL, in 1999, hot hors d'oeuvres were "advertised" but we could only get them by asking for them after buying a beverage. :rolleyes: A tiny plate was brought for the two of us, with a total of three tiny items. One night, I asked for more and we did get them. One evening, I tried getting hors d'oeuvres before ordering a drink, while I waited for my friend to arrive. I was informed that the snacks were only for passengers who were buying drinks.

Does HAL serve any food in the bars before dinner now? What is offered? Do you have to ask for them?

We always are offered hot hors d'ouerves in Ocean Bar and most evenings a steward passes a tray of cold nibbles.

If bartender or steward forgets to offer them to you, ask.

We hda them on Eurodam, Westerdam and Maasdam this year so they are still available..... wasn't just a 'one ship thing'.

We have had no trouble with getting the hot hors d'ouerves in either the Ocean Bar or the CN. We no longer go into the Ocean bar but they offered them in the CN on the Oct Hawaii cruise.

We did not have to order drinks. I have been just sitting and reading with a glass of water and they offer the tidbits.

Noordam -- February -- always had hot appetizers -- no cold appetizers.

Westerdam -- April/May -- had to ask -- rarely got them -- would bring them out about 5:35 when we were ready to go to dinner. Again -- no cold appetizers.

Zuiderdam -- sometimes they were ready at 5 - 5:15 -- sometimes not. No cold appetizers.

Time and again, we have seen people come into Ocean Bar, tell the steward they only wanted a glass or water (not Perrier or Pelligrino - tap water) and would he please bring hot hors d'houerves. They are always treated courteously and a nice plate of hors d'ouerves are served.

They are guests on the ship and if they wish to have hors d'ouerves that is what they have.

I rarely drink, and DH never does - but we love the atmosphere in the Ocean Bar. I can only drink so many sodas before I'm ready to explode, so often order just a glass of water. During the pre-dinner hour, we've always been offered hors d'oeuvres. It never occured to us that we had to be drinkers to partake - certainly nothing any crew member did ever indicated that. One of the things I love about HAL is the fact that everyone is equally treated to the most fantastic service.

I rarely drink, and DH never does - but we love the atmosphere in the Ocean Bar. I can only drink so many sodas before I'm ready to explode, so often order just a glass of water. During the pre-dinner hour, we've always been offered hors d'oeuvres. It never occured to us that we had to be drinkers to partake - certainly nothing any crew member did ever indicated that. One of the things I love about HAL is the fact that everyone is equally treated to the most fantastic service.

OF COURSE, YOU DON'T NEED TO ORDER anything other than what you want. I am shouting for a reason. :)

You are a guest on the ship and do not have to explain to anyone why you do not wish to have anything to drink. You most assuredly have every business going to any bar at any time and enjoying all services offered in that location. OF COURSE, you should have hors d'ouerves if you wish. There is no rule you need to order a beverage.

I should have quoted this in my response, Sail:

If you're not drinking in the bar, why should they serve you anything and not get a tip? Plus you may be taking the space from someone who would like a drink.

It's information like this that scares off people who don't know better.

Interesting thoughts.

One of the things I really like about cruising is that I can go into one of the bars by myself or with others, and just sit and listen to the music or people watch, without any of us ordering anything, not even a glass of water. I do not know of any bars or nightclubs were I could successfully do that on land in the US without either being invited to leave or receive unfriendly looks or comments from the waitstaff.

I feel very comfortable doing such onboard cruise ships, but never would I expect to have them bring me nuts or Hors d'Oeuvres under the circumstances. If offered I would probably accept them, but I would not expect them. Just my thoughts.

Archived