New airline rules

ISLAND DIVA

GLP - my point exactly.

As a Canadian and frequent flyer to the US with a purse that I think meets the standard of "2 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper" which is how they are telling people to measure their purses, I'm glad Air Canada is allowing us to check our carry on bags free of charge. I am now going to see how I can fit jewellry, camera(s) in that purse because I don't trust putting valuables (even costume jewellry has value;)) in checked luggage.

YaYa

This is part of the problem. I've got to fit my wallet, passport, tickets, ipod, jewellry, meds etc. into my small purse. These are all things I'm certainly not checking in. For those folks who think it's no problem.....just try it.

Most of us who are on many meds pack them in our carryon. What will the passengers from Canada do now? I have to carry my insulin with me and also needles to use with the insulin pens, DH does the same. We get a document from our doctor stating this. I know anyone can get that kind of document if they really wanted to. I will follow every rule the TSA asks of me and I don't mind the full body scan. I have nothing to hide in this old body. I know there will be those who disagree with me but that is one of the many advantages of living in the good old USA. God Bless America and those who live here and those who are fighting for our freedom.

So please explain to me how this is going to keep us safer. Do you think the terrorist is going to put a bomb in a carry on? I really don't know how people can defend this. Since you live in the US you are not being affected by this rule so it's really easy to be supportive of it. On your next trip please take a small purse and NOTHING else and see if you are still as supportive.

I wish I could explain how it will keep us all safer lorekauf, but I cannot:(

What I can say is that NOT doing these safety precautions, past, present and whatever future ones, may just save our lives.

I understand that it can be difficult if not impossible, for that I am sorry.

I cannot even attempt to carry on just a small purse as I must carry medical supplies and medications with me at all times. So, what can I say but I am sorry!!

Please do not blame the US people for causing this hardship for all of you. We did not create the problem nor did we, the US ban the larger bags/purses, carry ons etc, it is your countries, airlines, what have you implementing these changes to protect you and us both.

Joanie

Most of us who are on many meds pack them in our carryon. What will the passengers from Canada do now? I have to carry my insulin with me and also needles to use with the insulin pens, DH does the same. We get a document from our doctor stating this. I know anyone can get that kind of document if they really wanted to. I will follow every rule the TSA asks of me and I don't mind the full body scan. I have nothing to hide in this old body. I know there will be those who disagree with me but that is one of the many advantages of living in the good old USA. God Bless America and those who live here and those who are fighting for our freedom.

If you read the guidelines Canadians can travel with meds:

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, medication or medical devices, musical instruments, or any special needs items.

Smooth sailing...

What I can say is that NOT doing these safety precautions, past, present and whatever future ones, may just save our lives.

I cannot even attempt to carry on just a small purse as I must carry medical supplies and medications with me at all times. So, what can I say but I am sorry!!

Please do not blame the US people for causing this hardship for all of you. We did not create the problem nor did we, the US ban the larger bags/purses, carry ons etc, it is your countries, airlines, what have you implementing these changes to protect you and us both.

Joanie

You can't explain it because it will not keep anyone safer. You say that you cannot attempt to just take a little purse....so how do you expect us to do it. Don't you think that some of us have meds equal to what you would carry? As far as me blaming the people living in the US PLEASE point out where I said this. I also did not create this problem...but now I have to live with it. I think you are wrong that it is our countries that have implemented these changes. As far as I can understand it is the US that is forcing us to do this. I would be happy to apologize if I am incorrect in saying this.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, medication or medical devices, musical instruments, or any special needs items.

Smooth sailing...

So does this mean that you can take a bag to carry meds on besides a purse?

Good for you if you want to pay an extra $100 or more. I usually take 2 bags with me and end up paying for one of them...sometimes 2. On most airlines I don't think it's even an option to check a third. Seems odd to me that someone would scrimp and save to pass $100 over to the airline. IMO that is not money I am willing to part with.

It's not that I "want to" ... but if I "have to," I have to.

And I'm not talking about checking a third bag. All I suggested was, instead of putting both your bags out in the hall the night before disembarkation, put one of them out there and wheel the other off yourself. Then, check BOTH bags at the airport.

Ok, let me see now... if I plan a cruise for the springtime, and I think I can manage maybe eighteen or so miles a day, what month should I start walking toward the port? :eek:

Try driving, instead. I can drive from Dallas to San Diego in 24 hours, non-stop.

Smooth sailing...

You can't explain it because it will not keep anyone safer. You say that you cannot attempt to just take a little purse....so how do you expect us to do it. Don't you think that some of us have meds equal to what you would carry? As far as me blaming the people living in the US PLEASE point out where I said this. I also did not create this problem...but now I have to live with it. I think you are wrong that it is our countries that have implemented these changes. As far as I can understand it is the US that is forcing us to do this. I would be happy to apologize if I am incorrect in saying this.

Read world~citizen's post, from CATSA themselves. YOU CAN TAKE A LARGER BAG for your Meds!!!

And blame the governements not the normal person.

I did not say you blamed the US people, I just made a request that you not blame us.

Joanie

Smooth sailing...

Sorry, I hadn't caught up on all the recent posts.:o

And blame the governements not the normal person.

I did not say you blamed the US people, I just made a request that you not blame us.

Joanie

Not sure why you keep harping on this. Why would you ask someone not to mention something when they didn't mention it. Once again...we can discuss (within reason) whatever a person want to discuss. Please stop suggesting things that I am not mentioning. It's very irritating!

As far as I can understand it is the US that is forcing us to do this. I would be happy to apologize if I am incorrect in saying this.
You're correct Lorekauf.

Canada adopted additional screening measures at the request (directive) of TSA. As you know, these measures are specifically in force only for flights bound to the US - domestic & international flights are not affected.

Here's an excerpt from the news release on TSA website.

Q: What additional security measures are being taken for international flights to U.S. destinations?

A: TSA issued a directive for additional security measures to be implemented for last point of departure international flights to the United States. Passengers flying into the United States from abroad can expect to see additional security measures at international airports such as increased gate screening including pat-downs and bag searches. During flight, passengers may be asked to follow flight crew instructions, such as stowing personal items, turning off electronic equipment and remaining seated during certain portions of the flight.

You're correct Lorekauf.

Canada adopted additional screening measures at the request (directive) of TSA. As you know, these measures are specifically in force only for flights bound to the US - domestic & international flights are not affected.

Here's an excerpt from the news release on TSA website.

Q: What additional security measures are being taken for international flights to U.S. destinations?

A: TSA issued a directive for additional security measures to be implemented for last point of departure international flights to the United States. Passengers flying into the United States from abroad can expect to see additional security measures at international airports such as increased gate screening including pat-downs and bag searches. During flight, passengers may be asked to follow flight crew instructions, such as stowing personal items, turning off electronic equipment and remaining seated during certain portions of the flight.

Thank you for providing this info. I was fairly sure this was the case.

Joanie

The question begs to be asked, Joanie, why would you advocate for something that you admit may not work? You put forth a rather emotional response to this issue while admitting that it is "something you wish you could explain how it would make us safer, but cannot." Why enter the argument if that is your position?:confused:

You obviously did not notice where I live:(

Yes I did...and that's why I said it. The comment was made for others that are having a hard time understanding my frustration. I was agreeing with what you said. Sorry if it didn't seem that way.

Hi, Just a quick statement, My area has just dodged the bullet. If idiot guy had detonated the bomb correctly it would have blown up over Lambton County, Ontario. Whatever they have to do to make it safer i'm all for it. My DH seems to think everyone should fly naked end of problem. I'm thinking not too many of us would fly!! Just my two cents

Just out of curiosity but do all these new regulations exclude people from loading up their pockets in cargo pants and jackets? I can fit a small pocket book, a cell phone, camera, iPod, wallet (and likely a baggie with meds) all in pockets. Then couldn't you still take a purse and a laptop?

Just wondering if anyone knows. :D

~ BJ

This is shaping up into one of the biggest "international incidents" I hav seen on CC.

The point is.........if TSA really wants to be "politically correct", they should inflict the same rules for flights originating in the US as they do for flights originating everywhere else.

Trust me, when you're a mouse living in permanent conjunction with an elephant......the mouse does what the elephant says. And that is why we are so angry.

By the way, we did drive. We're in FL to board the Noordam on Monday.

What I don't understand is why it only applies to Canada. From any other country flying into the US they don't have the additional security that no carry on bags are allowed. Do they now something...

Stop hassling little old ladies and look for the young men from Africa, the middle east and Indonesia. Our constitution doesn't guarantee them their rights.

You better stop cruising since half of the HAL crew is young, men and from Indonesia.

This is shaping up into one of the biggest "international incidents" I hav seen on CC.

The point is.........if TSA really wants to be "politically correct", they should inflict the same rules for flights originating in the US as they do for flights originating everywhere else.

Trust me, when you're a mouse living in permanent conjunction with an elephant......the mouse does what the elephant says. And that is why we are so angry.

By the way, we did drive. We're in FL to board the Noordam on Monday.

Bingo! The rules should all be the same.....and that is a huge part of the frustration for me (and others). I will not be driving to any place in the US. My plan is to cruise from Canada....and cruise within Canada or depart from a US port if this continues. Another option will be for me to go to Mexico. I will be spending my vacation dollars elsewhere if this continues to be difficult. Never mind the amount of money that this extra security is costing the Canadian Gov't for the questionable "extra safety" this is providing.

I don't think you want to fly from that land based bordering Country right now as Mexico seems to be having it's own issues.. just a thought.:confused:

Say hello to fidel for us... Also know that the TSA has a lot of support for being unionized? do you think that is a good idea?

Happy Sailings..

I'd just like to say, as a Canadian, that I'm not angry with Americans or America. Unfortunately someone in the US Intelligence community screwed up (as anyone, anywhere can do from time to time) - and this kid was able to make an attempt to carry out a terrorist crime - which, frankly, if he had been successful I'm sure conversing about carry on vs. no carry on would not even be on the radar.

As it sits, we Canadians seem to be paying the price - probably because we're closest to American borders, we're accessible, friendly and cooperative; frankly I would think there would be more concern about people travelling to the US from overseas than from Canada, but it wasn't my call; so, I'm a bit inconvenienced for a while and someone, somewhere feels safer as a result. If that's my contribution then you're welcome - always happy to help:).

In the meantime, I'm sure it will get all sorted out and things will settle down to whatever the "new normal" will be.

As to the mouse/elephant thing; I've never seen our country as a mouse and I've never considered the US to be an elephant - but if I remember my childhood cartoons correctly............weren't the elephants afraid of the mice??:D(and that was a joke before somebody flames me).

YaYa

Archived