Rain during embarkation?

excited1sttimer

You'll turn your luggage over to the porters at the dock and it then heads inside.

Normally, there's nothing protecting it while its in the luggage carts being loaded onto the ship.

When we were on the Dream we saw the drivers of the fork lifts cover their position with chunks of cardboard and such to try to keep dry (and this was New York...) but nothing for the luggage...

:)

Several cruises ago, it was raining, so I made sure I tipped the porters and asked to try and keep the luggage from getting too wet. Well when it arrived, my dh luggage completely dry, mine was very wet. Only went about 1/2 way through, but had to hang most of my clothes all over the room until dry and my 2 books were in pretty bad shape. So yes your luggage can get wet.

Cindy

Is there any way to protect our luggage from getting soaked if it's raining? Any other things we need to consider, other than leaving a little wiggle room for traffic?

If it's raining, and if there are carts and carts of luggage to be loaded (and there will be), and your luggage has had the bad fortune to be loaded on an exposed end, or on top, it's going to get wet.

Same thing happens on an airplane -- it gets loaded on those open carts, towed to the plane, and may sit on the tarmack for awhile before loading, getting wet, and/or snow covered, etc.

It's a bit less likely on the ship because obviously you're right near the ship and where the luggage gets loaded, but it can happen.

I had one of my bags soaked in Tampa. We looked like the Clampetts with stuff hanging everywhere. Just be sure and carry on delicate stuff(cameras,etc.) and protect anything that would be harmed by getting a little wet in your checked bags....just in case.

I always use the 2 1/2 gallon zipper bags for my clothes when I am packing my suitcase. The zipper bags keep my clothing clean, and when flying, they help when the TSA employees search my suitcase. As an added bonus, my clothing won't be wet if my suitcase sits on the tarmac for a while in the rain. At the cruise port, it's the same thing. I also spray my suitcase with Scotchgard to help keep it from absorbing too much water during a rain storm. So far, so good!

Now I know why I see some luggage SaranWrapped at the airports.

Actually, that is an anti theft device used in most of the South American countries to keep people from getting into their bags. There is also a "wrapping service" at the miami airport.

Archived