Which would you choose and why?

maidut

There will be traffic heading back into the city, because Naples is a major city (the third largest in Italy, after Rome and Milan). The traffic along the Amalfi Coast road shouldn't be too bad if you are past the height of the season.

Certainly keeping your driver gives you more time and flexibility, because that last hydrofoil is so very early.

I think that will will end up keeping our driver too, as the last hydrofoilid is early. THis way we can enjoy lunch in Ravello, drive along the Amalfi coast, visit Positano and drive back to Naples..if we get to Sorrento, great, if not, that is OK too. Pompeii, Ravello and Positano and hte destiantions fo choice for us too!

There will be traffic heading back into the city, because Naples is a major city (the third largest in Italy, after Rome and Milan). The traffic along the Amalfi Coast road shouldn't be too bad if you are past the height of the season.

Certainly keeping your driver gives you more time and flexibility, because that last hydrofoil is so very early.

Being there in later October, heat won't be much of an issue at Pompeii. Would you recommend going to Pompeii first (getting there at 830 when it opens) or saving it for the end of the day? Just wondering which order to do it in based on road traffic into Naples at the end of the day, if there is a difference, and also people at Pompeii (if there is a difference in AM or PM).

Perhaps someone with more experience at Pompei can answer you better. I've only been there in October, and it was in the high 70's, low 80's with beating down sun in the middle of the day. It wasn't empty, but not horribly crowded either; I don't think crowds need to be a big factor in your decision process.

As for traffic, I don't think it will matter which order you do it in, as Pompei is between the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento peninsula and Naples, so you'll either pass it on your way or on the way back.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever driven around Naples when there wasn't traffic ... and nothing comes to mind. I remember going to the airport from downtown on a weekday in late October about five years ago ... we left downtown at about 7 AM and sat in bumper to bumper traffic the entire way.

On the other hand, the day before that trip to the airport we drove from downtown to the Amalfi Coast and didn't have big issues. We left after rush hour (about 10 AM), so I'm sure that helped. We came back about 6 PM and did hit congestion, but not the deadly slow stuff of Los Angeles freeways.

We are doing a private (roll call 15 people) tour much like your option #1. It is the second week of July and our tour includes (at extra cost) a gelato making demonstration and eating, which is probably good for that time of year. I think we do lunch in Positano.

Who are you using? Lunch is Positano is our goal, with all of the other sites of option #1 of the OP. I would love to know which company will get us there.

As an FYI- 2 different drivers ahve suggested doing Pompeii after lunch, on the return to the port. Here is what he said:

"Yes is better to do Pompei in the afternoon, because no traffic then from Pompei to the cruise ship it take only 25 minutes drive.

Ciao, Renato"

I would question the wisdom of going to Pompeii in the afternoon. Here is why! HEAT! Assuming you are taking this trip on a typcially hot summer day it gets quite hot in the afternoon and there is no shelter within the ruins. We generally recommend that folks go to Pompeii as early in the day as possible. Sure, there can be lots of crowds in the morning (because most professional tours also want to beat the heat) but the ruins cover a huge area and easily absorb large crowds.

Hank

I would question the wisdom of going to Pompeii in the afternoon. Here is why! HEAT! Assuming you are taking this trip on a typcially hot summer day it gets quite hot in the afternoon and there is no shelter within the ruins.

Hank, the OP stated earlier in the thread that they will be there in October, still hot but not the beastly hot (or crowds) of the summer. I'm not sure if Maidut specified a time frame, perhaps in another thread.

Actually Maidut is the OP ;) and they will be there in late April.

I'm the one that will be there in mid-October and would hope that mid to late afternoon in October, when the sun is starting to dip into the southern hemisphere, that it would not be as beastly hot -- but I could be totally wrong, too. :-D

LOL - I didn't realize that I only went back and read to the top of the second page!

Anyway, it will be warm to hot in both April and October but not, at least according to historical averages (and experience in October, for me), the beastly hot you hear about. You'll be fine.

Heres my two cents worth.

We did your option #2. We did it the very end of November 2007 with APTours and 3 other couples from our roll call.

If off season - go for it.

If high season - too much in one day. Traffic and crowds would make this a no-go and miserable.

We did all this (Pompeii first with private guide @ 2+ hrs) then to Ravello for about an hour, Amalfi for 1-1/2 hrs (we had lunch on our own - we all voted to NOT waste precious time with a big sit down lunch) then to Positano for an hour. Finally to Sorrento (after a shop stop at gorgeous ceramic place across from the Emerald grotto which was closed) where we went straight to the ferry and then ferried back to Naples, docking right next to our ship. We used the local ferry, not the hydrofoil. Took about 35 minutes. Gave us a different perspective of the area - by sea.

Our driver kept us on schedule without making it feel like we were on a schedule. Gorgeous photo ops everywhere and got to experience all 3 of these villages as they are all very different from each other.

Hope this info helps.

PS: We did start early and arrived at Pompeii way before any crowds. Even at THE VERY END OF NOV. it was warm. Our guide, Pina, kept peeling off layers as we walked.....first her coat, a muffler and then her sweater. I even had a bead of sweat or two. Glad we were there early !

TEXANCRUISER....this sounds perfect for my group of 4. We'll be there mid May. Do you remember what tour company you used?? I'm finding a couple but didn't realize I'd be spending $150 or more, each for this cities tours. THANKS!!

Mama: I did mention in my post above......but here it is again :D

We used APTours and loved them. Very professional company. Brand new van, impeccably dressed (and good looking) driver, knew the area, kept us on schedule - without making it feel rushed or stressed. He was in contact with the office via cell phone quite a few times during the day checking traffic/road conditions. I believe they have recently lowered some of their tour prices too...... check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
Who are you using? Lunch is Positano is our goal, with all of the other sites of option #1 of the OP. I would love to know which company will get us there.

Sorry I missed your post. I am using the same company that texancruzer has mentioned - AP Tours. They mention lunch in Positano in the itinerary. We have a group of 15 in our roll call. It is option #1 in this roll call and it includes licensed guide. The only problem with this company is that you need 9 people to make the economics work. Luckily, we got that no problem on the roll call.

We had 8 (4 couples) from our roll call. We all voted NOT to do a big sit down Italian lunch as it would eat up too much of our day (sorry for the pun) :D

We opted to have 1/2 hr extra in Amalfi and we each did our own thing for lunch. We ducked into a small place near the square (church steps) and had the most wonderful pizza ever. Also had some other unusual things (I like to try them) but the pizza was heavenly.

This allowed us more time and I am glad we did it this way. Sit down lunch can stretch out for hours........ didnt want to spend the time for that.

Archived