Live from Silver Cloud

Jacko

Sorry to disappoint, we do not take pictures any more...I know, shocking! The fjords in Chile are lovely as in Norway but Norway is greener and steeper. We will be in Puerto Madryn tomorrow and will let you know the wine/beer selection. Looking forward to land. The temp hit almost 60 today, the sun is shining and the pool is heated to 92 degrees, with it's own waves. A few of us had a good work-out in the pool. Again, good lectures today and lots of pix. Where does the day go????

Sorry to disappoint, we do not take pictures any more...I know, shocking! The fjords in Chile are lovely as in Norway but Norway is greener and steeper. We will be in Puerto Madryn tomorrow and will let you know the wine/beer selection. Looking forward to land. The temp hit almost 60 today, the sun is shining and the pool is heated to 92 degrees, with it's own waves. A few of us had a good work-out in the pool. Again, good lectures today and lots of pix. Where does the day go????

THANKS! Excellent update and added info. Yes, it's shocking that you are not taking pictures. Digital has made it much easier to get good pictures, shoot lots of difference scenes and share them. We'll look forward to more details in your future reports, including for the spectacular capital of Argentina. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Sorry not much to report from the last 3 days at sea. Good food, good lectures, some sun, some rain, some warm and then again some not so warm! Everyone has mixed well and been quite relaxed. All of the drinking venues do a big business and the DR does not start filling up until at least 9:30 and later. The shows are packed, we have a ragtime pianist, a classical violinist and the jproduction shows. Both lecturers have been very well received, as I said previously. Tonight is the Farewell Party so I better go change. Another good day at Trivia!

Buenos Aires, rain, rain and more rain...

YES, but Evita said "Don't Cry for Me Argentina". Is that a metaphor or an analogy for your current rainy weather? Have you visited her burial site in the Buenos Aires Recoleta Cemetery or stood outside facing the balcony at the La Casa Rosada or the Pink House?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yes, yes & yes. We are in Punta del Este, Urugary, today. A charming port with some good restaurants. It is overcast but the rain has stopped...temporarily. Please, go away rain! The ship is hopping with the new folks. Lots of 1st timers with very high expectations and some, apparently, the need for instant gratification. At least I haven't seen the children who were rumored to be invading us! Busy port week. Will try and remember to let you know about the ports. For this segment, most of the ports are new to us. Since the last Chef left, the food in the DR has been a disappointment. Maybe he justs needs some time.

Yes, yes & yes. We are in Punta del Este, Urugary, today. A charming port with some good restaurants. It is overcast but the rain has stopped...temporarily. Please, go away rain! The ship is hopping with the new folks. Lots of 1st timers with very high expectations and some, apparently, the need for instant gratification. At least I haven't seen the children who were rumored to be invading us! Busy port week. Will try and remember to let you know about the ports. For this segment, most of the ports are new to us. Since the last Chef left, the food in the DR has been a disappointment. Maybe he justs needs some time.

And maybe the Chef needs to pull his finger out and step up to the plate.

There is no excuse for sub standard cuisine on this class of ship.

The DR is inconsistent, what more can I say? We continue up the east coast. Stopped yesterday in Rio Grande, Brazil, our entry port into the country. It is a stop mandated by the Brazilian government. In other works, if they didn't make the ship come here, SS would not be here. Not much to see and not much to do and it was Sunday. The rain stopped for the day yesterday and it was 104 and very sunny. Today we are back to the rain and I'm not really disappointed. I heard it was 114 in Rio yesterday! Not looking forward to that! There was a very crowded and energetic Super Bowl Party last night in the theatre. A good time was had by all. Santos tomorrow, the port for Sao Paulo. We will see Santos. Sao Paulo doesn't really sound like fun: 12 million people and the traffic to match. Glad to be missing the snow at home! Sounds pretty drastic.

The DR is inconsistent, what more can I say? We continue up the east coast. Stopped yesterday in Rio Grande, Brazil, our entry port into the country. It is a stop mandated by the Brazilian government. In other works, if they didn't make the ship come here, SS would not be here. Not much to see and not much to do and it was Sunday. The rain stopped for the day yesterday and it was 104 and very sunny. Today we are back to the rain and I'm not really disappointed. I heard it was 114 in Rio yesterday! Not looking forward to that! There was a very crowded and energetic Super Bowl Party last night in the theatre. A good time was had by all. Santos tomorrow, the port for Sao Paulo. We will see Santos. Sao Paulo doesn't really sound like fun: 12 million people and the traffic to match. Glad to be missing the snow at home! Sounds pretty drastic.

THANKS for the update! Is it your sense of the problem being the main chef, the serving staff, etc.?? Did many of the good Cloud staff get taken to cover the new Spirit ship? Are they aware they have a problem and are they working to fix it? Keep up the hard work.

HEAT vs. COLD? Wow, that is hot, hot, hot there in Brazil. It's in the 20'sF now in Central Ohio with another 6-8" of added snow due Tuesday and Wednesday. We didn't get hit as bad as DC, Baltimore, etc., did with their 25-30" of snow. Appreciate the good reporting. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Are you going to Parati? We enjoyed that. It rained all day when we were in Santos and we didn't even get off the ship. Sounds like Rio is even steamier now than it was at New Years!

Greetings from Rio! The last few days have been very sunny and warm and everyone is very grateful, even the Captain! At the Farewell last night he thanked everyone for praying so hard to make the rain go away! Since I last posted we have been to Santos and Paraty. Santos is the oldest and largest port in Brazil. This is the original area of discovery and export. The cobbled streets and tram lines are reminiscent of Lisbon but the level of investment and restoration does not exist here as much. There are some good sites to visit: the old Coffee Bourse, the finicular ride and view, Santos Football Staduim (Pele heaven) and the new part of the city. The beach is miles long and full of folks on holiday. There is a small aquarium that is quite interesting. Paraty was a real treat...quaint seaside village, colorfully painted fishing boats, very similar to Portugal, an artist's colony and good restaurants. We enjoyed the local shrimp, the largest I have ever seen! So, off to lunch at Marius down on Copacabana Beach and then the Samba Show tonight! Another great segment gone. New kids (guests) board tomorrow. BTW, the current Chef has not been here for very long.

Greetings from Rio! The last few days have been very sunny and warm and everyone is very grateful, even the Captain! At the Farewell last night he thanked everyone for praying so hard to make the rain go away! Since I last posted we have been to Santos and Paraty. Santos is the oldest and largest port in Brazil. This is the original area of discovery and export. The cobbled streets and tram lines are reminiscent of Lisbon but the level of investment and restoration does not exist here as much. There are some good sites to visit: the old Coffee Bourse, the finicular ride and view, Santos Football Staduim (Pele heaven) and the new part of the city. The beach is miles long and full of folks on holiday. There is a small aquarium that is quite interesting. Paraty was a real treat...quaint seaside village, colorfully painted fishing boats, very similar to Portugal, an artist's colony and good restaurants. We enjoyed the local shrimp, the largest I have ever seen! So, off to lunch at Marius down on Copacabana Beach and then the Samba Show tonight! Another great segment gone. New kids (guests) board tomorrow. BTW, the current Chef has not been here for very long.

THANKS for an interesting report on that part of Brazil! Is the food getting better with the current Chef? Keep up the good work. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

As expected, we really enjoyed Rio again. This new group of guests is very pleasant and the crew is more relaxed also. We are of the coast of Brazil, headed into Salvador tomorrow. It is hot, hot, hot but when I think of all the snow at home, I don't mind the sun and heat and I have the pool! New entertainment: a classical violinist. She will perform this evening after the Captain's Welcome Aboard festivities. I also imagine that there will the the traditional red roses for the women...and whatever male wants one! Niki, our destination lecturer, continues to draw large crowds, even tho' it is very nice out. Oh yea - caipiranhas rule!

As expected, we really enjoyed Rio again. This new group of guests is very pleasant and the crew is more relaxed also. We are of the coast of Brazil, headed into Salvador tomorrow. It is hot, hot, hot but when I think of all the snow at home, I don't mind the sun and heat and I have the pool! New entertainment: a classical violinist. She will perform this evening after the Captain's Welcome Aboard festivities. I also imagine that there will the the traditional red roses for the women...and whatever male wants one! Niki, our destination lecturer, continues to draw large crowds, even tho' it is very nice out. Oh yea - caipiranhas rule!

THANKS, Duct Tape! It's sunny and decent in Central Ohio. Eight inches of snow here and around 28F. BUT, sunny! Inside it's nice and warm to look outside and see the snow overing the hillside, trees, etc.

How's the food quality doing now? Improving? Is it mostly the Chef or staff? Keep sharing details and enjoying! Terry in Ohio

The service and the crew are just fine, if a little rushed at times. Some people prefer to eat quickly and run. All you need to do is tell them to slow it down! Done.

Great news! That can help in letting the staff know your timing needs and flow. Everybody can relax and get what they want and need.

Greetings from Belem, Brazil. We have now gone from 56 degrees south to 0.05 degrees south and cross the Equator tomorrow. Colin has been in touch with King Neptune. Coming up the coast we visited some old Portuguese ports, major cities now and none too scenic even tho' there were some nice sites: churches, markets, etc. The classical violinist is Nicola Loud and she is excellent. She and Colin did a lovely concert last evening. Belem is at the mouth of the Amazon delta and we took a local boat around the islands. The Guama 'River has a 10K current. One of the islands is completely formed from silt and debris coming out of the Amazon. That island is as large as Switzerland! They are all lush with flowers, trees and fruits. Something fun happened yesterday. I was speaking to a fellow at the pool bar and he asked me when I boarded. When I responded Valpraiso, he said "hello, duct tape, I have enjoyed your posts"! Evidently he is lurker and not ready to post opinions! Funny, I don't seem to have that problem!

Greetings Duct Tape - so glad to hear that you are having a great time on Cloud. Would it be possible for you to ask who the CD will be on our forthcoming trip in July to Norwegian North Cape - hopefully Colin or Judy. We look forward to seeing you again then.

Greetings Duct Tape - so glad to hear that you are having a great time on Cloud. Would it be possible for you to ask who the CD will be on our forthcoming trip in July to Norwegian North Cape - hopefully Colin or Judy. We look forward to seeing you again then.

Agree with Mayflower1 on wanting any and all Silver Cloud info and background for our July 1-16 Norway Coast cruise. Once you find out who will be doing CD, etc., on that cruise, please share for us first-timers with Silversea on what makes Colin or Judy special and interesting. Glad to know that Greg or gdlamberth is also following your South American adventures. How's the food doing now on the Silver Cloud?

Archived