Car rentals in Ireland

FSUFan1k

We are planning a 1st trip to Ireland, prob in Sept 2010. Need to spend time in Co Armaugh for genealogy. So thinking of flying into Dublin, renting a car spending 10 days and flying out of Shannon. icon5.gif is there an age restriction for driver in renting a car? We are 72. Do you buy a temp policy for driving like you do in Mexico? Many thanx for your input. KT

No age restriction in Ireland. Check your with insurance agent re: coverage in Ireland. We were covered by our Encompass auto policy for a thousand and used a credit card that provided protection as well. No special policy is required as far as I recall

Last year we booked thru Enterprise and had a very good rate on an automatic minivan which we needed cause five of us were travelling together.

I had posted earlier but apparently I had mentioned a particular product and was removed.

I envy you your trip to Ireland. September is beautiful even in the rain-might get to see double rainbows. We were there in 2007. We flew from LHR to Dublin and rented a car. Try using the site of the rental company in Ireland instead of the US site. We found it to be half the price for the same car. I also would prebook an automatic unless you are very adept at stick shift. The Irish roads are narrow and winding plus you will want to see the magnificent views. I would also recommend getting a map with a scale of 3 miles to 1 inch. It is necessary to be able to have a good map with you. Try using the big online book companies to find one. Even if it has to come from the UK, don't dismay. Mine came in a week. There are several good guides for Ireland that I could mention to you if you wish to send your email. I don't know if I am permitted to say a particular guide.

Flying in and out of Shannon is quite easy. We did have double security checks in 2007 but that really did not bother us.

We found the b and bs quite reasonable and good in Ireland. I think that is the way to go. You get to see the countryside which is what Ireland is all about. Make certain you get to Dingle (similar to Ring of Kerry but smaller and less crowded). The Waterford no longer gives factory tours as all of the crystal is made elsewhere. It is a nice drive along the ocean from Waterford to Cobh (where the Titanic sailed). Many of the road signs are in Gaelic and English underneath.

If you want more information, I will be happy to help.

Happy traveling.

Pearl

I rented and drove around Ireland last year with my family for a week. A couple of hints:

1. I rented from one of the big American companies that use a yellow color and the agency in Dublin tried to substitute a much smaller car than I rented. It took much doing to get it right.

2. My credit card has extra rental insurance but the agent stated that it was no good in Ireland. It took me calling the card company and handing the phone to the agent to prove the point.

3. I am used to driving a standard, however, with the extra workload of driving on the other side of the road, on the other side of the car, shifting with the other arm was almost too much. I will rent an automatic transmission next time.

4. A GPS helps a lot.

Enjoy your trip.

We are planning a 1st trip to Ireland, prob in Sept 2010. Need to spend time in Co Armaugh for genealogy. So thinking of flying into Dublin, renting a car spending 10 days and flying out of Shannon. icon5.gif is there an age restriction for driver in renting a car? We are 72. Do you buy a temp policy for driving like you do in Mexico? Many thanx for your input. KT

If you are hiring a car in Dublin, make sure you tell the rental company that you are taking the car out of the country into Northern Ireland. There's unlikely to be a problem, but just incase anything happens in Northern Ireland & you haven't told them that you are taking the car there. Lot's of people don't realise it's a different country. You'll need £sterling to spend in NI & €euro to spend in the Republic.

I have also rented cars in Ireland. It is "different" driving, which takes, time.

As for rentals, VERIFY insurance, many policies, specifically do NOT cover Ireland, including some credit cards. Capital One was one that used to, but other's I have do not. Extremely important. :)

I've rented the smallest cars I can get away with, the roads are narrow, and it can help to map out where you are going every day. Roads are not all well marked, especially if off some main roads. The Irish are very skilled drivers, navigating the curves, let them pass. :)

Each car rental agency has it's own age restrictions. For example Eurocar is 70. I believe Hertz allows to 73. You need to check with the rental agency. Be forewarned driving in Ireland is extremely dangerous. The roads are very narrow and have no shoulders. The driving lanes are much more narrow than the standard width here in the states. Also the steering wheel is on the opposite side and you drive on the opposite side of the road. For these reasons most credit card companies wont cover the CDW only world mastercard. The insurance for our rental was almost double the cost of the rental.

No age restriction in Ireland.

Not always true, I'm afraid. Currently, Alamo's maximum age for renters in Ireland is 74, and for Hertz it's 75, while Enterprise doesn't have maximum age limits in Ireland, but all these ages could change at any time. Not sure about Dooley. You should check this out in advance to avoid an unpleasant surprise at the pickup counter.

Many thanx to TMLA, Pearl64, DNHill, Chester & Buster, Budget Queen, livsea2,

RHefley for your responses. You answered my original question AND gave me good tips to pursue about things I hadn't had time to consider. My husband drove 1.5 million miles-accident & ticket free in his career. It will definately be his decision re stick or automatic. I have saved your replies so he can review all of them. KTicon7.gif

• 7 months later...

We will be flying into Dublin next month for a week. This is our first visit to Ireland. We're flying out of Shannon. We have places booked in Dublin and Kilkenny so far. The next place I'm looking to stay is Cork or Kinsale or Cobh. Any suggestions? Also, do you think it best we rent a car at the airport when we fly into Dublin? Or go back to the airport to rent a car when we leave Dublin? I can't seem to find anywhere to rent a car in Dublin. We're staying at the Shelborne. Thank you!!!

We will be flying into Dublin next month for a week. This is our first visit to Ireland. We're flying out of Shannon. We have places booked in Dublin and Kilkenny so far. The next place I'm looking to stay is Cork or Kinsale or Cobh. Any suggestions? Also, do you think it best we rent a car at the airport when we fly into Dublin? Or go back to the airport to rent a car when we leave Dublin? I can't seem to find anywhere to rent a car in Dublin. We're staying at the Shelborne. Thank you!!!

You definately do not need a car in Dublin, and it is far superior to stay right in Dublin, and not outskirts. How long are you in Ireland? Are you including the ROK and Dingle Peninsula?? Highly recommended.

I can't seem to find anywhere to rent a car in Dublin.

The Avis city location is to the west in Kilmainham, just around the corner from Kilmainham Gaol (which you should visit if you're interested in Irish history). After we took a taxi from central Dublin and rented our car, they let us leave the car and our luggage there while we visited the Gaol.

Archived