Help...Rome self tour

gcm40

My wife and I are interested in doing a one day Rome tour by ourselves from a cruise. Would take train in and back. Interested in seeing the Vatican area, including Sistine Chapel and Colisseum, plus anything else we can squeeze in during the approx. 5-5 1/2 hrs. we will have to spend.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to take, i.e. bus or taxi, plus approx. cost or is it walkable? And any other sites we could possibly fit in between these sites? Thanks.

Interested in seeing the Vatican area, including Sistine Chapel and Colisseum, plus anything else we can squeeze in during the approx. 5-5 1/2 hrs. we will have to spend.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to take, i.e. bus or taxi, plus approx. cost or is it walkable? And any other sites we could possibly fit in between these sites? Thanks.

\

Everything you have mentioned is completely walkable; the centro storico in Rome is relatively compact. That said, there is also easy to access public transit to get you more quickly from point A to point B and beyond.

The Vatican area is quite time consuming; if it is your first priority, I'd head there first. Book your tickets ahead of time on line, that will save time. Take the regional train from Civitavecchia to Roma San Pietro, then either walk (about 20 - 30 minutes) or take a cab to the entrance of the Vatican Museums. Exit the museums directly into the Basillica San Pietro, and from there in to Piazza San Pietro.

From the Piazza, you could stop at Castel Sant' Angelo, or skip that and continue on to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, all before heading to the Colosseum/Forum area.

If your day ends near the Colosseum/Forum, you can take the metro two stops to Piramide, which is connected to the Ostiense rail station, where you can catch the regional train back to Civitavecchia.

Most Rome maps I've tried don't give enough detail. They tend to leave out little streets and that can cause confusion. The best ones, IMHO, are the free ones I've picked up in Rome either at hotels or at the TI office.

That said, if you are willing to pay, I find the Knopf map guide to be handy for walking.

http://www.amazon.com/Rome-Citymap-Guide-Knopf-Guides/dp/0375709509/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263258523&sr=8-1

Archived