Family Reunion Cruise

Cheryann

Our family is considering a trip this year right before Christmas. I know this is subjective, but could someone help me by rating the ships that would be best for kids and adults alike. Our ages will range from 1 year to 78 years old. There are 22 of us. Thank you so much in advance! My husband and I have cruised on and love Seabourn, but have no clue where to start with this big crowd. Are we crazy to try?

Essiesmom that's a great idea. A definite decision in fact. I'm still hoping for a few suggestions on ships, however. I would like to hear what others who have experienced different ships, with our situation in mind, might have to say. Looks like you have been on quite a few!

Decide on a date, and contact a TA...they can give you all avail. sailings during your target time. They will give you brochures on all of the cruiselines, explain each, and you can choose the right fit for your group. Do allow a TA to handle everything for you. You want to be able to have fun---not deal with the "nervous Nellies" or the "grumpy Grandpas"....let the TA do that for you! It shouldn't cost you a penny to use a Ta.

We have taken our family of 10, booking 3 cabins, each Christmas break on Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston. The ship is small enough so everyone can get around easily and quickly and yet large enough to provide all the things everyone wants to do. Everyone in our group goes about the ship doing their own thing and yet we all seem to run into each other several times each day. If you book enough cabins, Carnival will work with you for group rates or even a free cabin. Call Carnival directly for these details or see their Web site. There is a larger ship, Carnival Conquest, that sails out of Galveston with 7-day iteneraries from Sunday to Sunday each week. Ecstasy sails 4- and 5-day iteneraries. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Bon Voyage!

We did this a few years ago and it was so much fun! I really got to know a few of my more far-flung cousins so much better on the cruise.

One thing you didn't mention, but that was a big consideration for my family reunion, was whether people had cruised before or not. We had some experienced cruisers, but most of the rest of us had never gone or had not gone for many years.

The fact that we had so many non-cruisers really influenced the ship and itinerary we chose. We ended up choosing Princess/Alaska because it was kind of middle-of-the-road. For the veteran cruisers their biggest priority was a newer ship, and we checked that off. For the rest, we preferred anytime dining to set dining hours, a slightly more casual ship/itinerary, a bigger/more stable ship, decent food quality and entertainment choices.

I guess I'm just trying to say the TA is a great idea, and they might be able to help you even more if you could give them some guidance as to what is most important to your group. That's why it's subjective right... we all value different things.

Archived