7.3 earthquake hits Haiti

Sue L

It is a bit ironic that RCCL just put up a new Labaddee video today on their Oasis site.

This is so sad, on the Oasis the International Critters had an auction for the Crew fund that raised $1800.00. The crew was to use part of it for helping the Hatitian people. All I can think of those poor people, so many dying and hard to get help for them.

Prayers for that community. We enjoyed our stops at Labadee, Hatiti and hope to go there again soon. Wanted to try the zip line and rollercoaster. The new dock for the Oasis had just been finished.

Looking forward to hearing more on this disaster and how other counties step up to help out as well as the United States.

Irene & Miles

Hell, I am on the Freedom right now. We did not go to Labadee today because it was raining. The earthquake was about 5pm right about when we would have left. I am getting all my news from CNN, there are still aftershocks, the captain made an announcement at 9pm about it, that is the only thing they have said. I wish we were going back to help, but, i'm sure a lot of people would be upset if we did. Also, I don't know how far away we are. We are going to Jamica tomorrow morning so it cant be that far. We could at least donate blood, water, food. I feel so helpless...Maureen

As many are probably aware, this is going to be a major story for weeks to come. Haiti is the least able country in the hemisphere to handle this kind of a disaster.

As already posted, the epicenter of the earthquake was reported to be about 10 miles west of Port-au-Prince, which is about 100 miles due south of Labadee. In any other well-developed country, that distance, along with buildings built to any semblance of an earthquake code, may be fine. But here, I would not be surprised if there widespread damage for the folks who live even as far away as Labadee.

If you wish to get an idea of how the area is situated, take a look at my Cruise map of Haiti, and zoom out about 8 clicks. That will allow the map to show both Labadee and Port-au-Prince, but you'll have to pan the map north a little.

Theron

P.S. The satellite imagery from Google Maps was taken before the construction of the new pier or roller coaster was begun.

We have a cruise scheduled in May & one of the first ports will be Labadee Haiti.

I heard on the news, that RCL is NOT going to be changing their routes any. I wonder if they will be changing their minds after they see the amount of devastation this quake has caused?

Does anyone know if you can get reimbursed your deposit if you want to change your cruise itinerary?

I had seriously been thinking of changing our cruise route altogether because I've been hearing some horror stories about these regions, Haiti, Jamaica, etc., & now, in the wake of what's happening, I'm completely torn about whether to go on this cruise or not. :confused:

Does anyone know if you can get reimbursed your deposit if you want to change your cruise itinerary?

I had seriously been thinking of changing our cruise route altogether because I've been hearing some horror stories about these regions, Haiti, Jamaica, etc., & now, in the wake of what's happening, I'm completely torn about whether to go on this cruise or not. :confused:

RCCL has the right to change the itinerary at will. It's part of your cruise contract.

I'm sorry to hear about Haiti but let's be honest that they have had years of issues and this is just another challange for them. Hopefully the international community will come to thier assistance and that the assistance will actually reach the people who need it. It never has before.

As for canceling a cruise because it's doing Labadee and Jamaica is crazy. Both these locations are perfectly safe and some of the best places to vacation.

RCCL has a pretty good timetable for reimbursement of deposits. It all depends on how long till your cruise date -- the info is all easily found on the RCCL website or even in your confirmation info. If your cruise is not just around the corner, I'm sure they'd be happy to transfer your deposit to a different cruise. (IMHO, but I'm not a TA or know for sure).

RCCL is also clear to say that a cruise itinerary may change from what is scheduled, often based on weather but there are other reasons why things change at the last minute.

Does anyone know if Haiti is prone to earthquakes? I wonder if this will scare people from booking itineraries including Labadee in the near future.

We have a cruise scheduled in May & one of the first ports will be Labadee Haiti.

I heard on the news, that RCL is NOT going to be changing their routes any. I wonder if they will be changing their minds after they see the amount of devastation this quake has caused?

The whole region is subject to potenetial earthquakes as are many regions in the US including the northeast. We were in the USVIs in early November and our tour guide told us they have many, many small earthquakes year round.

I doubt very much Royal is going to exclude Labadee from their itineraries unless they determine passengers are in harms way. Remember they have invested millions in that port.

Personally, rather then worring about how this event will inconvience me on future cruises, I'll say some prayers for those whose lives have been devastated or lost by this horrific event. This is a country of very poor people and their hardship before today would break most peoples hearts. This is just another awful blow to a country that carries such a heavy burden of poverty.

I hope others reading this thread share my thoughts and are far more worried about the welfare of the Haitians and not so much about themselves.

News reports are saying a total catastrophe !!

The headquarters of the U.N. peacekeeping mission has collapsed

There has been over 30 aftershocks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8455774.stm

I'll be contacting RCCL to see if RCCL plan to send aid and see if we as Cruisers can help and also see if our staff at Labadee are ok.

jj.....

I know it sounds crazy but my friend's daughter is cruising in that area and she has no idea what ship she is on. Anyone have any idea what line would have been in Haiti today. Any ideas on how she can find out if her daughter is ok

Most likely it is Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas.

Apparently there was no damage in Labadee.

If your final payment is not due yet, then yes, you can get a refund. If your final payment is due, then no, you cannot get a refund.

Does anyone know if Haiti is prone to earthquakes? I wonder if this will scare people from booking itineraries including Labadee in the near future.

One major earthquake every 20 years would be considered a lot. Los Angeles had one in 1971 and another one in 1994. Small earthquakes (too small to even feel) happen all the time.

Apparently there was no damage in Labadee.

I would be really surprised if Royal Caribbean knows that for fact at this early time.

It seems to me that these early statements by RCI personnel are more to try to calm investors' nerves.

My thoughts are with the Haitian people, but I can imagine that for an RCI executive who must consider the financials, it doesn't look great. There aren't that many places Oasis can go, and if it can't go to Labadee, well, that's not going to help the bottom line.

Personally, rather then worring about how this event will inconvience me on future cruises, I'll say some prayers for those whose lives have been devastated or lost by this horrific event. This is a country of very poor people and their hardship before today would break most peoples hearts. This is just another awful blow to a country that carries such a heavy burden of poverty.

I hope others reading this thread share my thoughts and are far more worried about the welfare of the Haitians and not so much about themselves.

Spot on post, I completely agree.

There's NO WAY I'M NOT GOING on my Indy cruise in April.... in fact, this makes me want to go more, so I can do my small bit to help these unfortunate souls. Also, hopefully it'll show my kids how massively privileged and comfortable their lives are in comparison.

:(

One major earthquake every 20 years would be considered a lot. Los Angeles had one in 1971 and another one in 1994. Small earthquakes (too small to even feel) happen all the time.

This is the worst quake to hit Haiti since 1751...

Was just watching the Today Show and they were talking to a humanitarian worker up on the north coast near Labadee. He said there isn't structural damage where he is at. They could definitely feel it though. So hopefully the people up in Labadee are OK.

I'm cruising 4/11 to Labadee (first stop) and I hope we still make it. I was really looking forward to seeing a little glimpse of Haiti. If we don't, then I guess Royal will just reroute everyone to a different port (I would hope, since I chose this itinerary for 4 ports).

Archived