Info needed Nanaimo 4/30/10

The Olympics and Paralympics games are finished in March so that wouldn't be the reason they are not showing.

The number of ships going to Alaska this year is down so perhaps they have decided not to do those trips - The Celebrity Mercury I believe is the ship that was doing them.

Will see if I can find anything

Cheers

Dennis

Left Coast and Urban Trekker

Where did you rent a car from and do they come to the ship to pick you up and drop you off. I think this is the way we may go want to see the Goats on the roof:)

Pam

We used National.... and indeed they came and got us and dropped us off. We phoned when we got onto the dock and just confirmed exactly where to meet.

You are BAD Dennis - Nanaimo bars at a funeral?!:eek: Thanks for clarifying their description for me. I was going to post the recipe, but notice you can link to those on Wikipedia as well.

By the way, do you (or anyone) know what happened to the 3-night cruises RT out of Seattle to Victoria-Nanaimo this spring and fall? Have they been cut due to the Olympics? We have friends that wanted to do this short cruise but are not finding anything. We had gotten a great deal ($299) a couple of years ago.

While on one of those cruises on the Merc Last October we were informed that they would "Not" be doing them this year (2010) at all.

Nanaimo sits in a beautiful location, with the Vancouver Island mountains behind & the Coast Mountains of mainland BC across the Strait of Georgia.

Most of the city is new, with lots of shopping malls & not much to see. The old centre of the city, where the cruise ship tenders land, is the more interesting part. The waterfront is very nice to walk around & if you do not mind a steep walk up the hill, you can climb up, over a bridge above the main highway, to the area of the old town centre which has been restored. It has various stores & businesses, situated in the old restored buildings, which have quite a bit of character. If you go up there, be sure to visit Mclean's Deli for some Scottish or British treats! They used to provide a nice pot of tea with a great 'bacon butty', but I am not sure if they still do.

Otherwise the best option, as already stated, would be to hire a car & visit some of the sights within the area, or go out to Newcastle Island.

Graham.

Nanaimo sits in a beautiful location, with the Vancouver Island mountains behind & the Coast Mountains of mainland BC across the Strait of Georgia.

Most of the city is new, with lots of shopping malls & not much to see. The old centre of the city, where the cruise ship tenders land, is the more interesting part. The waterfront is very nice to walk around & if you do not mind a steep walk up the hill, you can climb up, over a bridge above the main highway, to the area of the old town centre which has been restored. It has various stores & businesses, situated in the old restored buildings, which have quite a bit of character. If you go up there, be sure to visit Mclean's Deli for some Scottish or British treats! They used to provide a nice pot of tea with a great 'bacon butty', but I am not sure if they still do.

Otherwise the best option, as already stated, would be to hire a car & visit some of the sights within the area, or go out to Newcastle Island.

Graham.

Thank you for your input

In case any one is following there were no Nanaimo Bars served at the reception as the hosts brought a prepackage deal from a Costco in Victoria and I resisted having one on the ferry.

Cheers

Dennis

But Costco has great Nanaimo Bars, there should have been some in the prepackage deal!! Bummer for you - but now you won't have to worry about fitting into your Olympic Volunteer outfit :-)

Funny I should post about the lack of Nanaimo bars at the reception because at the meeting I was at this afternoon guess what was there - Nanaimo Bars and yes I had a couple of them.

Re the uniform - because it appears that I am just doing the Para Games I won't get fitted for another couple of weeks which is actually good because I have lost about 10 lbs since Christmas and won't have to worry about the uniform not fitting me.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
But Costco has great Nanaimo Bars, there should have been some in the prepackage deal!! Bummer for you - but now you won't have to worry about fitting into your Olympic Volunteer outfit :-)

Costco has Nanaimo Bars????????? But we would probably have to travel across the border to get them, eh? Do you think there is a limit on them crossing the border? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Costco has Nanaimo Bars????????? But we would probably have to travel across the border to get them, eh? Do you think there is a limit on them crossing the border? :)

We have Nanaimo Bars BUT you guys have wine at Costco !!! I'd rather have the wine option:D

If you have a car and are south of Nanaimo around the Cedar area then I would suggest making a quick detour and having lunch here. Seriously I live in Victoria and would drive the 1.5 hours to dine here YUM

http://www.crowandgate.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The Olympics were amazing to watch. We especially enjoyed seeing all the sites of BC. We can't wait to get there.

By the way they did feature Nanaimo bars on the NBC Today show one morning. And the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper published the recipe.

Hello, Perhaps you can help me.

There is not much information on the Pacific Northwest board regarding Nanaimo. We will be there for one day, the end of April. Yes, it is before the real season. Any tips, suggestions for our repositioning cruise? Things to do? transportation options?

Thanks for posting this question! We'll be on the Pearl with you, and look forward to meeting you at the M&G. I think you mentioned that your husband is a Ham operator, I am one as well.

They've got a number of shore excursions posted on NCL for Nanaimo, but they all sound like things which could equally well be done by renting a car.

I was also very appreciative of the post from BCScot about the possible activities for those who would just like to walk around town.

Gordon

I have appreciated all the suggestions for Nanaimo too. I printed most of them to take with us for reference. I researched the ferry info for taking that to Newcastle Island. Am I correct by thinking there is enough to do and see right where you get off the ferry at Newcastle Island to keep you busy for a couple of hours (just walking)?

Leslie

Here's a link to the website on Newcastle Island Park:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/newcastle/

I may have an album online somewhere from when I visited Nanaimo by cruise ship a few years ago - if I can find it I will post it.

Cheers

Dennis

I would like to go on a whale watching trip. We will be at Victoria, Nanaimo, and Vancouver. I had planned on seeing the Butchart Gardens (we were there the end of July last time) in Victoria and in Vancouver seeing Grouse Mountain & Capilano Bridge. Any recommendations on best location for whale watch trip? Or if, or how I could "do it all"?

I guess that is more than one question.

I would like to go on a whale watching trip. We will be at Victoria, Nanaimo, and Vancouver. I had planned on seeing the Butchart Gardens (we were there the end of July last time) in Victoria and in Vancouver seeing Grouse Mountain & Capilano Bridge. Any recommendations on best location for whale watch trip? Or if, or how I could "do it all"?

Victoria is really the best place of the three to do it, there are typically more whales in Juan de Fuca straight (off Victoria), than in Georgia straight (between Vancouver and Nanaimo)

While there are whale watching excursions operating out of Vancouver there is no question the best chances of seeing whales is out of Victoria. There has been a few births of Orcas (killer whales) recently in the 3 resident pods that are situated in the Strait of Juan de Fuca off Victoria and I believe the total number of whales in these pods is now standing at 89. However bear in mind that these pods do travel in the pursuit of food so there are no guarantees. All of that said I would certainly go whale watching in Victoria and do Grouse and the Capilano Suspension Bridge while in Vancouver.

Thank you for the responses. You have been most helpful. At Victoria, we will pass on the gardens and hopefully see whales instead. Last summer on the Radiance while eating dinner, I looked out the window and saw an Orca pass by. I think the ship listed to that side as half the dining room hopped up and ran to the windows.

This is a good solution, since I really did want to go to Grouse Mountain and Capilano bridge in Vancouver.

Any one want to guess what was served for dessert here tonight at the Athletes Village in Whistler - how about a Nanaimo Bar - now they will be even more famous. I only had one as that is all we are allowed with our meal.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived