Driving St. Thomas/St.John?

kirchubel

We are cruising to St. Thomas in May and love the idea of going to St. John. We would also like to see some of St. Thomas as well and are considering whether it would be more efficient to rent a car at the cruise terminal. A few questions.

1) Ferry from Red Hook to St. John -- is this a passenger only ferry or are cars allowed?

2) What's driving like over there?

3) What's driving like on St. Thomas?

4) Has anyone ever done this and would they do it again? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for the help!:)

One of my hobbies is driving race cars. I've loved racing since I was a kid. There is nothing I haven't driven, and I love a challenge :D

I just got back from St Thomas an St John. I would NOT rent a car there. Leave it to the professional taxi drivers :cool:

My wife almost hurled, she was turning green when our taxi drive in the morning showed us how a real driver handles the steep hills on St Thomas :eek:

:p There is worse driving in the world... Grenada took fear :eek: to a completely new level!

On Dominica we didn't see any street signs. So again, we were sooo glad that we let the taxi driver do the driving.

The driving on St.Thomas is on the left side of the road in American cars with a left steering wheel. IMO it would make for a very stressful day. Let the natives do the driving for you.

Completely agreed. IMO, unless you actually grew up driving in a place where they drive on the opposite side of the road to North Americans, it would be a very stressful day. Not to mention, most of the people who get into accidents are tourists. The locals know how to drive there, and they drive fast.

If you are only in port for a day taxi's are the most efficient and economical way to go. That said driving in STT is not really a big deal. Yes they drive on the left and yes the cars have the steering wheel on the left but it takes about 5 minutes to get used to it. If you ever visit for a longer stay at a hotel renting a car is the way to go.

This post gave me a little chuckle. I grew up with my Dad driving on St. Thomas and when I am back on the island I have no second thoughts about taking the wheel. Yes, we drive on the left, but I don't think it's that bad.

The hills are steep and curvy, but not bad once you get used to it. My suggestion would be let the taxi driver drive, only so it allows you to take in the scenery and enjoy your day.

Scott

Catching a taxi to Red Hook is very easy. You'll also need to use a taxi on St John to get to the beach(s) you've chosen.

I expect that there are car ferries but the one I took from Red Hook was passenger only.

This is one trip where you may actually save money using a ship excursion. Doing it on your own, however, is fun and you do have the opportunity to visit more than one beach.

• 3 weeks later...

We had quite the experience renting a car in St Thomas. My aunt drove(who drives in Chicago frequently) and we almost got in a few accidents on those sharp curves and cussed out by a local because we were going the speed limit He passed us then stopped right in front us and got out of his car to continue yelling at us, we went to pass him and almost got nailed by a fast car.:eek:

We also got very lost in downtown Havensight as the map they gave us was crap and we were unfamiliar with the roads. We kept going up and down these back alleys looking for a parking spot and ended up in the slums. Sometimes if we took a wrong turn it was a narrow backup job.. I dont know how my aunt did it, let alone paralell park downtown! :eek:

I think it takes time to get used to driving there and if you are there only one day, dont rent a car. We did end up saving money(group of 8 of us) but we lost precious time due to having to get the rental car(not available right at Crown Bay dock) and getting lost. Next time we will so take a cab!

I've driven in St. Thomas several times, once when we stayed in a hotel for a week and twice when we were there for the day while cruising. Obviously, you need to be careful, but it's certainly doable. Never came close to having an accident. I must admit I encouraged my wife to be a back seat driver. Whenever I made a turn, her job was to begin saying "stay left, remember, stay left." Don't go too fast, particularly with the curves, and you'll have a wonderful day. It's always great to be on your own, instead of being with a large group where everything is pre-planned.

I did not rent a car on our stop there last week but only because we had done it before and just wanted to relax that day. I did not find it to be a problem at all,just need to keep it in your mind to stay on the left.

Last week I rented cars on Tortola and St.Lucia which are also left side driving. St. Thomas is a piece of cake compared to driving the narrow mountain roads of St Lucia. If you don't think you would be comfortable then don't rent,but it's really not that bad.

We have taken a taxi ride for a tour of St.Thomas it was very nice.

We have gone multiple times over to St. John. When we get off the ship we take a taxi to town or to Red Hook to catch the ferry to St. John. There are multiple taxi's waiting at the ship to take you to the ferry. When in St. John there are multiple taxi's waiting to take you to the beach that you want to go too. We always go to Trunk Bay. It is fabulous. It has bathrooms, showers, snack counter, rentals, lockers. Trunk Bay has a underwater snorkeling tour. It's beautiful.

If you take the ferry over to St. John it will take a chunk out of your day, so if you want to see both islands, I would get a taxi for a short tour on both.

I don't know anything about a auto ferry. The passenger ferrys leave town every other hour and Red Hook every hour.

You will have a wonderful time.

Archived