Maasdam..for those who frequent her.

Stakeout

.. just got back last Friday... heard from a couple of staff that the upgrades similar to what was done on the Veendam due for the Maasdam in mid-2011 have been canceled.. whether or not they have been only time will tell... latest I also heard Veendam has been having water leak problems with the new pool-Retreat into the cabins below due to the upgrades they did to her...plus other plumbing problems.....

looks like those folks in Seattle messed up again with these upgrades... they couldn't just leave things alone... 'greed' and the need for more Verandah cabins and more bars with the Retreat always ends up at the bottom of the heap and a failure.. what could they have been thinking..

my take.. best thing for HAL.. hopefully Carnival will sell it off.. at least it will maintain and save some of its dignity rather than the way Carnival is taking it... not good .. wishful thinking on my part

the Maasdam on our Christmas and New Years cruises had essentially an entire NEW crew... a clean sweep .... just about all have been reassigned from when we sailed in April... seems like a lot of the older staff.. cabin and dining room stewards and those with the company a long time.. are leaving or talking about leaving... they are way overw*rked doing double duty with less staff.. HAL has that crazy policy of just reassigning an entire ship's staff for no reason... you wouldn't think they would do that .. maybe only reassigning some now.. some later... oh well.. it's called 'Carnival Management 101'

one has to adapt.. so it's back on the Maasdam in a few weeks for a roundtrip Canal cruise...

p.s. as for taking holiday cruises.. this was our 5th New Year's cruise on HAL.. a-okay.. liked it a lot..had a great time...staff as usual was great... as for taking a Christmas cruise.. never again...this was our first and last one.. it seemed that the type of people who were onboard for Christmas were not mostly HAL regulars that's for sure..just people looking for a 'cheap cruise' ..along with the 158 kids that practically destroyed the elevators.. ripping the handrails off in some cases...the parents need a kick in the butt...butt I digress having flashbacks to my prior life's w*rk... anyway it was close as I want to get to being on a Carnival cruise:D

p.p.s... say a prayer for those folks in Haiti devastated by the quake.. we just sailed by there last Wednesday( 1/6) after taking the southern route from Santo Domingo around Hispanoila up to HMC

Last I saw on HAL's site, upgrades to the Ryndam, Statendam and Maasdam were to be done in two phases. Maasdam's first phase was scheduled for much of April 2011 ... with the remaining updates a la the Veendam to be done in 2013, date not yet determined. I think the biggest things for the second phase were the aft poolette (the Retreat) and the Lanai cabins. Perhaps the onboard staff were referring to the second phase?

It's true there have been some changes with Maasdam's crew but that happens from time to time on all the ships. I won't list by names but some very recognized officers have gone to other ships and one has become a 'landlubber' and is no longer sailing.

It's true there have been some changes with Maasdam's crew but that happens from time to time on all the ships. I won't list by names but some very recognized officers have gone to other ships and one has become a 'landlubber' and is no longer sailing.

it was just that we got so used to having the very 'best of the best' staff cruise after cruise on her... to us it just appeared that everyone left all at once..

like I said... we gotta 'adapt'

Last I saw on HAL's site, upgrades to the Ryndam, Statendam and Maasdam were to be done in two phases. Maasdam's first phase was scheduled for much of April 2011 ... with the remaining updates a la the Veendam to be done in 2013, date not yet determined. I think the biggest things for the second phase were the aft poolette (the Retreat) and the Lanai cabins. Perhaps the onboard staff were referring to the second phase?

I am ab-so-lude-lee sure they were referring to the Retreat and the new 36 aft Verandah cabins they are having so much trouble with

I am ab-so-lude-lee sure they were referring to the Retreat and the new 36 aft Verandah cabins they are having so much trouble with

Thank you ... sounds like HAL may have decided that, after messing up two ships, it may not be worth it to hack off more people by screwing up three more vessels, assuming your source meant the Statendam and Ryndam as well as the Maasdam.

Hello Stakeout, we were on the Maasdam with you for the New Year's Eve cruise but did not do the prior Christmas sailing. I must admit you have me worried because we booked onboard for next year's Christmas and New Year's (two 7 day sailings) on the Ryndam. We have never done a Christmas sailing and would not look forward to kids destroying things and making a mess of the ship. One couple at our dining table were on the Christmas sailing and said the 150 kids caused them no problems. Maybe we are not very tolerant; I may just look at doing the New Year's sailing only.

Alice

I hope your sources are right about the aft pool downgrade. She is a lovely ship just as she is.

Too bad about the staff though. Was Dr. Boogie still at the Piano Bar and Rachel still with the HALCats? Our MDR stewards were Ketut who is a very tall indonisian at about 6'1" who also worked Lido at breakfast. His assistant Arriyana also worked in the Lido squeezing oranges and serving ice cream in the afternoon. Are any of them still there?

I know the cruise director we had was leaving the ship as we were. He apparently was on loan from another ship because there was an unexpected change last fall before the ship moved south. I am sure that good people will replace them. None of the crew I knew on the ship in 1996 was there in November 2009, but it still had the best crew on the seas on both occasions.

Hello Stakeout, we were on the Maasdam with you for the New Year's Eve cruise but did not do the prior Christmas sailing. I must admit you have me worried because we booked onboard for next year's Christmas and New Year's (two 7 day sailings) on the Ryndam. We have never done a Christmas sailing and would not look forward to kids destroying things and making a mess of the ship. One couple at our dining table were on the Christmas sailing and said the 150 kids caused them no problems. Maybe we are not very tolerant; I may just look at doing the New Year's sailing only.

Alice

this was our 5th New Years cruise on HAL ..... if and when we do another we'll just go back to back with the one right after New Years rather than do a Christmas cruise again... they had the elevators just about shut down at one point...and super slow from just 'pressing buttons' to stop on all floors.. with at least 2 aft elevators not w*rking and out of service .. pretty sure it was the same for the forward elevators... this was not the case on the New Years cruise.. it was like night and day...

geez.. don't let my rant prevent you from going.. just wanted all to know what we encountered.. it was just 'not for us' in comparing it most all the other HAL cruises we've been on...:)

my video from the Master Chef's Farewell Dinner on the last nite of our New Years cruise.. the last pic in my SmugMug gallery is the video..

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/Travel/Half-Moon-Cay-Maasdam-Jan-7/10964853_fSUrL/1/766211331_VQfu7

t

my video from the Master Chef's Farewell Dinner on the last nite of our New Years cruise.. the last pic in my SmugMug gallery is the video..

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/Travel/Half-Moon-Cay-Maasdam-Jan-7/10964853_fSUrL/1/766211331_VQfu7

If that is you sitting at that last table for two on the railing, you are sitting in our favorite seat in the house. We loved being right there at that table on the Maasdam. May she never change.

(Well, except for some of the carpet and the entertianment lounge decor ........)

If that is you sitting at that last table for two on the railing, you are sitting in our favorite seat in the house. We loved being right there at that table on the Maasdam. May she never change.

(Well, except for some of the carpet and the entertianment lounge decor ........)

yop..it is.. but it's not the very last one but the one we always try to get....table for two ... missed out on it one time in the 10 cruises we've done on the Maasdam.. had to settle for the opposite side .. just as good BTW:D

I also was on that Christmas cruise and didn't notice any major problems with the kids. I had many more problems with the adults behavior. In fact, I never saw more than four kids together at any point. The elevators were down for awhile but I hardly doubt that was due to anyone pressing buttons for all the floors. With the exception of one time when the elevators were having problems, they came very quickly and I never saw all the buttons pushed when I entered. The only other elevator problem I noticed was that one often would misinidicate the floor that it was at. That's hardly from kids running wild, more likely an electrical problem. Also, if it were a new staff, then I hope they keep them because they were great.

Very happy to hear the crew on Maasdam is still wonderful. Though there have been some changes in staffing, those new to Maasdam are not inexperienced people. Some left Maasdam to go to other ships and some came from other ships to Maasdam. Very common thing and no reason to think these are not very able people doing what they always do so well. We look forward to seeing some Officers now on Maasdam we have not seen for years. :)

I also was on that Christmas cruise and didn't notice any major problems with the kids. I had many more problems with the adults behavior. In fact, I never saw more than four kids together at any point. The elevators were down for awhile but I hardly doubt that was due to anyone pressing buttons for all the floors. With the exception of one time when the elevators were having problems, they came very quickly and I never saw all the buttons pushed when I entered. The only other elevator problem I noticed was that one often would misinidicate the floor that it was at. That's hardly from kids running wild, more likely an electrical problem. Also, if it were a new staff, then I hope they keep them because they were great.

then I guess it was just an electrical problem that broke all the handrails with them hanging off on 6 of the 8 elevators....the elevators were down more than a while at any one time..most people were complaining about it... I just take the stairs... there were at least 10-12 kids in the Lido at any one time in the last outside table next to the doors leading outside on the starboard side.. maybe I was just on another ship than you...

I never saw any broken handrails and I rarely go to the Lido. Since the pool is right there, it's a natural place for kids. I did not see any large groups elsewhere on the ship at anytime. On the other hand, I had to deal with numerous adults blocking entrances to elevators, hallways, and stairs by taking up all the room and moving at a snails' place or even standing still (and I'm not talking about people with canes or walkers.) I also remember the large woman on one of those scooter things who attempted to force herself into a full elevator and the one in the wheelchair who would sit up front at talks and block everyone's view with her big hat. I'll take the kids anyday.

maybe it was because I was out and about every morning before 6am heading up to the Lido and Skydeck to take early morning sunrise pics...and saw the damage then... then again those handrails were still hanging by a thread in those elevators thruout most of the days...

just about everyday--all day on sea days-- I was in my 'spot' on the Lido deck in the corner overlooking the Sea View pool... not as many teens hung out back at that pool than frequented the Lido 'indoor pool'

as I stated in another posting the people who were on that Christmas cruise were not HAL regulars.. just people looking for any cheap cruise.. the New Years cruise was nothing like that one by any stetch

I should have taken pics like I normally do.. always having at least one camera with me.. I can't say I'll do it next time.. because there won't be a next time on a Christmas cruise for moi

glad you enjoyed your cruise...

it seemed that the type of people who were onboard for Christmas were not mostly HAL regulars that's for sure..just people looking for a 'cheap cruise' ..along with the 158 kids that practically destroyed the elevators.. ripping the handrails off in some cases...

I have a couple of questions / comments. First, I thought that Christmas cruises were typically more expensive so your comment about "people looking for a cheap cruise" surprised me. Also, how could you tell whether the people were "HAL regulars" or not without asking them? I don't get see how you could, What does a "HAL regular" look like?

Second, did you actually witness the destruction of the handrails? If not, how can you be sure it was one of the kids? I have my own idea of what could cause a handrail to come loose and it does not involve kids. ;)

I'm glad to hear the second week of your cruise was an improvement over the first in your eyes.

I have my own idea of what could cause a handrail to come loose and it does not involve kids. ;)

Hey DizzyDiinthebigD; are you gonna share that theory or does it have to do with couples falling down balconies as a result of extracuricular activity?

I have a couple of questions / comments. First, I thought that Christmas cruises were typically more expensive so your comment about "people looking for a cheap cruise" surprised me. Also, how could you tell whether the people were "HAL regulars" or not without asking them? I don't get see how you could, What does a "HAL regular" look like?

Second, did you actually witness the destruction of the handrails? If not, how can you be sure it was one of the kids? I have my own idea of what could cause a handrail to come loose and it does not involve kids. ;)

I'm glad to hear the second week of your cruise was an improvement over the first in your eyes.

nope.. this Christmas cruise they couldn't give away all 10 days of it... they still had cabins up to the last day..prices were low .. very low... HAL even called us up for an upsell to a Verandah two days before we sailed while we were in Florida.. we declined only because they couldn't do an upsell at the 299 price for the New Years 11 day cruise also... didn't want to jockey around changing rooms... been there done that.. I know they say they move you... but the past two times it was easier moving ourselves...

okay.. you believe what you care to believe just like the other poster... another 'doubting Thomas'.. oops 'doubting Dizzy'... if one moves around the ship a lot and not just stay in the library or limit themselves to one level like some folks do... you get to see a lot of things happening out and about..

yeah.. yeah.. I got your drift about the handrails and what could have caused it... I was 'on the job in the street' for 20 years on Long Island outside of NYC so trust me on this ...nothing surprises me..

you can come up with more scenarios .. as many as you care to... also try talking to some of the 'white shirts' when you're onboard.. you might just learn a lot of what's going on behind the scenes.. they know

BTW a HAL regular.. if you can't tell one by now you need to do more HAL cruises..

Perhaps I was just lucky enough to get in every elevator right after the damage was repaired. Regardless, I never saw any child hanging from a handrail or pushing multiple buttons and I was in the elevators on a regular basis. I also was throughout the ship on a daily basis and probably was in every elevator on the ship at one time or another. I did see a number of elderly passengers leaning heavily on the handrails and wondered what they would do when they came loose. I'm sorry, but I did have a great cruise, and didn't see any significant problems caused by what I consider to be a relatively small number of children compared to the number of adults on board.

just so you know...I was on the Maasdam the two weeks before the Christmas cruise. There were only 4 kids on the ship....two of them babies. One of the other two was my dd. The elevators had hanging railing and were out of order several times during the cruise. It was not from the kids onboard. They are just showing years of wear and tear from packed in adults. Many times we would get on elevators (believe me I would get on them if I could avoid it) that would become very packed with people. And just about all buttons would eventually be called out and pushed. Especially after a show or an excusion....everyone just going home.

I am sure that the Christmas cruise with all the kids was quite a cruise. I know the kids HAL staff said they were going to increase workers for that cruise and were glad that only 2 kids were at hal club for the cruise before it.:D

This has made for an interesting read. We've sailed on the Maasdam once, back in Jan 2001. We were even in the Rockin' Rolldies 50s Night show. Are they still having that?

We liked the ship fine the way it was. We are thinking about booking her for the 11 day New Year 2011 cruise. New Year is about the only time we are able to cruise any more. Since 2001 we've only missed one NYE celebration on a cruise ship and that was 2003 on the Zaandam in early Feb. We've tried most of the lines for New Year, HAL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival. Our second cruise on the Zaandam was a New Year cruise a few years ago and we did notice a slip in service from the previous cruise. They even did away with Dutch night! We did enjoy dancing in the piano bar with Sonia Marie. Dancing our diner away is important to us on a cruise ship. Are they still playing ballroom type dance music in the Ocean Bar on the Maasdam?

p.s. Elevators would be no problem for us--we skip them when on a cruise ship!

" Was Dr. Boogie still at the Piano Bar and Rachel still with the HALCats? "

I think I was on your cruise. We left the Maasdam on Nov. 20. Dr. Boogie was only on until Dec. 18. His contract was for 2 months. He has requested another contract but hasn't heard from HAL. He has heard that the Piano Bar's are being discontinued. That really disapoints us as were spend almost every night there.

Archived