No more Alaska for Carnival

VeggieCruzer

What gives? The best time for us is next May for DH birthday and now I find out no more AK for CCL? So sad, why is this?

Guess they're not making enough money to justify putting the ship there? Or maybe all the booze smugglers put them out of business in that market.

What gives? The best time for us is next May for DH birthday and now I find out no more AK for CCL? So sad, why is this?

$50pp tax imposed by Alaska so Carnival as well as other cruise lines have reduced their presence there. Alaska will wake up I'm sure as it's big $$ to the ports there.

Guess they're not making enough money to justify putting the ship there? Or maybe all the booze smugglers put them out of business in that market.

You gotta be kidding me....thats just wrong.......I can't stop laughing...................

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlef viewpost.gif

You gotta be kidding me....thats just wrong.......I can't stop laughing...................

I'm still laughing....DW thinks I'm nuts.....

If it were profitable, Carnival would probably still be offering Alaska.

I have a brother who lives in Sitka....he and his friends and acquaintances would be just as happy if they ALL left Alaska.

The residents don't like it at all.....and they certainly don't need the revenue.

I don't believe that Carnival Cruise Lines is leaving Alaska,

I don't either......but hey if it were true then maybe that means we can have the Spirit year round for the 8 Mexican Riviera cruise.......would love to sail that itinerary in early summer.........

What does Sarah Palin say about this ? First the Bridge to nowhere, now the boat to nowhere ..

Gov. Palin resigned in July. The voters of Alaska decided in 2006 to impose a $50 per person head tax on cruise tourists. Now, the State of Alaska will find out how expensive that head tax is as tourists and the cruise lines go elsewhere. http://juneauempire.com/stories/033109/loc_416718715.shtml

Voters in 2006 passed a cruise ship ballot initiative that imposed new taxes on the large ships. Each passenger pays a $50 head tax, technically an excise tax.

The initiative imposed on the companies themselves a corporate income tax and a 33 percent tax on gambling income. It also set strict new environmental pollution rules.

Archived