San Diego embarkation/debarkation

tomculb

I posted this in the West Coast forum and got no response, so I thought I would try again here:

My wife and I are about to book an April Mexico cruise (our first!) on the Oosterdam, and I have some questions.

Embarkation: We're arriving in San Diego late the evening before and would like to wander around the city a bit the next day before boarding. Is it advisable (or even possible) to get to the terminal early, check in and leave our bags, and then return a few hours later for actual boarding?

Debarkation: Similar question -- once off the ship is it possible to leave our bags somewhere before a late afternoon flight? I think I read somewhere that there is a service where you can check your bags on board the night before to your flight, which would be great. Anyone know whether that works with Southwest Airlines? Also, how long can we stay on the ship after its 7AM arrival.

Thanks

quote.gif

San Diego is a very strict -- rarely will they allow anyone through the gates much before 11 AM.

Why not leave your luggage in storage at your hotel -- go see the town -- then pick up your luggage and go to the pier.

If all has gone well -- you should be off the ship by 9:30 - 10 AM.

Since we always stay at a hotel at the end of the cruise I don't know about luggage storage at the airport.

In light of todays security environment, a general answer to your question would be no, there is nothing and no place to store bags. However, if you are coming in the day before, why not have the hotel you are staying at hold them for you until you are ready to head to the dock or Airport? I'm sure they would do it. As for is it safe to visit around town; Being a resident of America's finest city I'd say yes. The cruise dock is located at the foot of Broadway which is the main drag through downtown San Diego and there are many tourist sights and things to see along the embarcadero and near by.

Southwest Airlines does not allow baggage checkin until 4 hours before departure time. I am pretty sure that there is no place at the airport to store luggage so depending upon what time you leave the ship and when your flight departs you may want to rent a car for a few hours or ask the hotel where you stay the night before if they would be willing to hold your luggage. What hotel are you staying at in San Diego? I agree that leaving your luggage with the hotel before you go to the pier to check in is the best option.

You also want to make sure to allow adequate time to check in at the pier. If two or more ships are docked at the same time it could take a little longer for embarkation. Generally the first night onboard you will get the form to identify your departure plans so you can select the time you want to leave the ship. Generally passengers must be off the ship between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. because they usually start embarkation for the next cruise at 11:30 a.m.

We have cruised out of San Diego twice now, and stayed 1 night precruise, and 2 nights precruise. We felt it very safe to walk around the area all around the port. You do need to be careful at night, just as in any large city. If walking at night, stay in well lit areas, and try to stay in a group of people. Even if not traveling with others, try to walk the streets at night with others that are walking. The Gaslamp district has lots to see and do.

We have cruised out of San Diego twice now, and stayed 1 night precruise, and 2 nights precruise. We felt it very safe to walk around the area all around the port. You do need to be careful at night, just as in any large city. If walking at night, stay in well lit areas, and try to stay in a group of people. Even if not traveling with others, try to walk the streets at night with others that are walking. The Gaslamp district has lots to see and do.

Debbie,Where do you stay in San Diego on your per or post cruise?We'll be on the 4/17 sailing of the Oosterdam.

Rick & Harriet

I would suggest leaving your bags with the bellman at the hotel where you spend the night before embarkation. Then get them when you are ready to go to the ship. The ships usually get in early in the a.m. and all porters etc are busy taking care of the disembarking passengers. Likewise, the ships like to have everyone off by about 10:00 so the service people can get rooms ready for the new guests! You can leave the ship once you are on board and in San Diego you are right in town so that is another possibility.

I worked for 8 years at the airport for HAL. You are wise to arrive at least a day before. Many of the hotels have shuttles which get you to your hotel. Taxis are inexpensive. The best approach is to stay at your hotel until at least 1 PM. If you have to check out, leave your bags with the bellmen and enjoy the sites prior to ship check in. Make sure you check in at least 90 minutes prior to sailing. Some hotels will provide shuttle service to the pier. As to debarkation, you will probably be off by 10 AM. Southwest does not participate in the ships' Express Baggage service. It is true SW will not accept bags until 4 hours prior, and on some busy occasions, only 2 hours prior. There is no baggage storage at the airport. You might want to return to the hotel you stayed in prior to sailing. They might store your bags, and even give you a lift to the airport. Despite some criticisms, Oosterdam is among the finest in the HAL fleet. Hope this helps.

I've taken two cruises from San Diego.

Holiday Inn on the Bay (across the street from the terminal) was our first hotel, but now we've discovered the Hampton Inn; free basic breakfast, quieter rooms, free internet use and a nicer atmosphere. Still walking distance to the pier, but not with a lot of luggage. They have a free shuttle everywhere as well.

http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=SANDTHX

As opposed to other replies, I like to arrive at the terminal earlier, before the flights arrive, and beat the crowds. No hassle. Nice and quiet boarding.

And if you enjoy Indian food, eat at Monsoon in the Gaslamp district.

When we disembarked in San Diego we didn't even have to have our luggage with us; it was wonderful. We signed up with HAL and didn't see our luggage until we got home (Portland, OR). They have it taken to the airport.....................such freedom. Hope they are still doing that!

aus30 - even though the ship pier is close to the airport, 9:30 is too close. Likely you will not get off the ship prior to 8 AM if it docks at 7 am. Then if anything is delayed at all, you willnot make it. Also, to get off early you will have to be in a suite or use self-debarkation (take your bags off with you).

DaveOKC

Archived