NYC Hotel suggestion one night pre cruise please

knitdiva

My half sister (10) and I (40....I know big age gap but I love he to death!) will be taking the NCL Gem on february 27. We will be arriving on the 26 at JFK (8pm). So not much sight seeing this time. I am mostly concerned with safety. Budget 150-350 perhaps. I have taken 2 cruises out of NY in the past 7 years but have always stayed with family in NJ. They moved and are not cruisers. I wanted cruisers advice!:)

Thank you!

Look at Hotwire - 3 people for 2/26 (this should get you two double beds). I am seeing a Midtown Central 3 1/2* for $159 and a Times Square 4* for $183. Better bidding indicates these could be the Sheraton and the Crowne Plaza, but there are no guarantees. The rooms are nonrefundable but they are a fantastic price for a 3 1/2* and 4* hotel in the heart of Manhattan.

Be sure you have all the legal papers you need for her so that you will not be denied boarding. Birth certificate, permission from (both unless one is deceased) parents (notarized) medical permission in case she needs care etc.Everything has gotten much tighter recently. Enjoy your cruise:)

B.

The hotel looks fabulous, but.... it's a bit off the beaten path for NY. Knitdiva is concerned about safety. I know that the area would be fine, but it might be offputting to someone who is not used to NY. IMO they should stay in a more central location where they can walk around Times Square or Central Park or Rockefeller Center before getting on the ship the next morning.

I'd go with the midtown locations a few people suggested (Crowne, Doubletree, etc.). Times Square is as bright as daylight way into the night & busy with people. I think a woman with a 10 yr. old would feel comfortable roaming around at night there, letting her see everything lit up is exciting & they could just walk back to their hotel when her stepsister is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Mela is in the heart of the theater district and only a block from two subway stations, within walking distance of the port authority and bryant park, AND under $100/nt! (at least it was last month, may depend when you're going). I've stayed there and can vouch for it.

Hotel Mela is in the heart of the theater district and only a block from two subway stations, within walking distance of the port authority and bryant park, AND under $100/nt! (at least it was last month, may depend when you're going). I've stayed there and can vouch for it.

Meant under $150/nt. Sorry!

• 4 weeks later...
You might want to consider the Wellington Hotel, 7th Ave and 55th street. Its a short ride to the pier and in a nice neighborhood..

http://www.wellingtonhotel.com/

I have stayed at the Wellington by myself and felt quite safe. It is right across from Carnegie Deli and Central Park. Good location. An older hotel, but a good deal for the price.

My half sister (10) and I (40....I know big age gap but I love he to death!) will be taking the NCL Gem on february 27. We will be arriving on the 26 at JFK (8pm). So not much sight seeing this time. I am mostly concerned with safety. Budget 150-350 perhaps. I have taken 2 cruises out of NY in the past 7 years but have always stayed with family in NJ. They moved and are not cruisers. I wanted cruisers advice!:)

Thank you!

There are two very nice hotels on the Upper West Side that have decent rates and are undiscovered gems. Take a look at the Hotel Lucerne at 79th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus. Great residential neighborhood with plenty of nearby shops and restaurants.

Also, consider the Hotel Beacon on 74th and Amsterdam. Near shopping, restaurants and subway. Both are a short cab ride from the pier ten minutes or less.

Jonathan

Just booked the Salisbuty hotel - it is located in the same general area as the Wellington (on 57th between 6th and 7th) Got a really good deal by booking through a popular booking website. It is highly rated on the traveller sites. Check it out - you will be pleasantly surprised.:)

Archived